Grade One !
What is happening in February!
Happy Heart Month!
Retells are one of the many reading strategies that the students are learning in Grade One. We have been working very hard this past month on retelling a fictional story. Below you will find a picture of one of the retells that has been completed in class. With this strategy the students must be able to state the characters of the story, setting, problem, solution, and conclusion. This is then retold in the format of beginning, middle and end. The students are required to use language of time such as first, then, next, and finally. Understanding how to retell a story will help your child to write a simple narrative story in the Spring. Another picture you will find below is a sample of procedural writing. Your child is learning how to tell someone how to do something. The last pictures demonstrate the students learning about fractions. This unit is now complete and we are moving onto learning addition and subtraction to 20.
On February 14th we will be having a Valentine's Party. Donations of healthy food for the party is much appreciated. Thank you to the parents who sent food donations for the Holiday Party. The students will be making Valentine card holders for the Valentine cards they will be receiving.
Report Cards will be coming home on February 12th. This past term, I have been sending home your child's work with the Rubric and the level of student achievement. If you wish to meet about the report card you can e-mail me and we can set up a time to meet.
The following donations would be greatly appreciated.
- milk or bread bag tags ( we use these in math)
- tissues as we go through 3 boxes a week (must be the weather)
- Lego that you do not want to use anymore
- wooden blocks
- children's books
Monday and Wednesday: Music
Tuesday and Friday: Gym
Tuesday and Thursdays: Popcorn sales
Wednesdays: Pizza Lunch
February 6: National Sweater Day
February 12: Report Cards go home
February 14: Valentines Party (please send in healthy snacks to share)
February 17: Family Day
We are learning to write the steps on how to do or make something (procedures).
We are learning how to retell a story.
Fraction Flip Books
We are learning that a whole can be broken into parts.
The Character Trait for February is Initiative
1. We are learning how to use different fix up strategies to help us read and understand unfamiliar words.
2. We are learning to retell the important parts of a story we have read.
3. We are learning to ask meaningful questions before, after, and during reading.
1. We are learning to write the steps on how to do or make something (procedures).
2. We are learning to read our writing and make changes.
3. We are learning how to present our writing.
4. We are learning how to tell what we are good at and what we need to do differently next time.
5. We are learning to identify words in a book that help to create an image in our minds.
1. We are learning that a whole can be broken into parts.
2. We are learning to solve problems using numbers.
1. We are learning that objects have observable characteristics and are made from materials.
2. We are learning that materials have specific properties.
3. We are learning that the material and structure of an object determine its purpose.
4. We are learning how humans make choices related to their use of objects and materials that they use have a direct effect on the environment.
1. We are learning how to keep safe at school.
2. We are learning how to stay safe inside and outside our homes.
1. I can complete class work and put it on Mrs. Craig's desk.
1. I can choose what is the most important task to finish first.
1. I can show that I am curious and interested in what I am learning.
1. I can follow the teachers' instructions.
1. I can do my share of the work.
1. I can use the success criteria to check my work or task.