September 8, 2015
In this edition you will find:
- PALS Testing Reminders
- Kinder PALS Updates
- PALS Communication Process
- READ Plan Reminders and Resources
- Enrich Data Entry Updates
- Key Assessment and Quarterly Proficiency Charts
- Equity Spotlight
PALS Testing Reminders
Please note: PALS will prompt teachers to complete the reading in context portion even if they are at or above the cut score-this is NOT required!
Teachers are not required to administer all diagnostic assessments in PALS UNLESS a student falls below the cut score. If a student scores at or above the cut score, YOU CAN STOP ASSESSING in PALS-regardless of what PALS tells you to do.
Diagnostic testing needs to be completed for students who fall below the cut scores NO Later than November 13; however, we recommend teachers complete diagnostic testing as soon as possible so they can begin a Tier II Intervention and progress monitoring to address the needs of students quickly.
We are in conversation with PALS to make changes to the online system so schools have access to the class summary sheets that allow teachers to sort and group according to the spelling inventory. Right now, PALS online requires teachers to complete all diagnostic testing before creating these summary sheets. We will keep you posted.
Kinder PALS Information
The window for Kinder PALS testing is November 2-December 18. We recommend waiting until this window of time before assessing to give students the appropriate time and opportunity to learn and demonstrate the skills assessed. Please make sure your Kinder teams are trained and ready to administer Form B during this window.
- Teachers will need to administer ALL required assessments according to PALS for Kinder students to receive a cut score. This is different than the number of required assessments for students in grades 1-3. Two of the assessments can be administered in small groups.
Kinder PALS Accounts:
- Lori Stack needs the names of all Kinder teachers who need an account ASAP.
- Once all accounts are created, IT can begin moving students from your pool to those accounts with an updated script during one of our nightly uploads.
- Students in classes that have already been set up may experience some re-configuring. If this happens, let Lori Stack know which students may have been moved and she can correct their placement.
PALS: Communication Process
- Ask teachers to email Teaching Partners with any issues pertaining to PALS, including missing students who have been in IC for 48 hours.
- Teaching Partners should contact Lori Stack with all issues.
- Lori Stack will communicate to either PALS or our IT department-Susan Collins-who will help to resolve any concerns and will be able to upload students who are missing from rosters.
- PALS Kinder kits have one black-line master packet for testing purposes. Schools are responsible for making their own copies.
- Consumable sets can be purchased and paid for by schools directly through PALS if desired. One set can be purchased and used as a black-line master for all teachers.
PALS Testing for Fourth and Fifth Graders
PALS is working to provide the online version of the primary spelling test for older students who may need the 1-3 spelling test. Teachers have a few options if they need to use a primary spelling test to use for root cause analysis in a READ Plan:
- They can administer the 1-3 spelling test on paper, but they won't be able to enter it online. Teachers can analyze to find strengths and determine areas for growth.
- Teachers can also administer the Words Their Way Developmental Primary Spelling Inventory and use their analysis sheet to determine areas of strength and areas for growth.
State Version of READ Plans
- Recently, APS switched over to the state version of READ Plans in Enrich. Current plans are all uploaded and activated in this new version.
- When teachers create or revise a plan, there are a few additional steps in the process.
- Revised help sheets are included below.
Beginning of Year READ Plan Analysis
School Leaders and Teaching Partners:
- What structures are in place to support teachers with READ Act implementation?
The READ Team highly recommends supporting teachers with reviewing their READ Plans early in the year. As fresh data is collected in the coming weeks, teachers will want to confirm the READ goals put into place last year, revise as needed to meet the needs of each student, and begin progress monitoring immediately.
ALL English Learners who have a read plan must have an appropriate Oral Language goal. We recommend that the Teaching Partner work with the ELA TL and/or ELA Consultant to ensure these goals are in place.
Please contact your MTSS Partner, ELA Consultant or Instructional Coordinator for support if needed.
READ Resources for Teaching Partners
Teaching Partners and School Leaders will find resources in supporting teachers with READ Plan implementation. The READ Team will continue to post resources into this shared folder for use as needed. These resources are in process of being updated on the READ Website as well, so stay tuned!
Please remember, you MUST be signed into your AuroraK12 google account to view the folder.
READ Act Google Folder
BAS level data entry will be in the same place it was last year in order to avoid a large fee charged by Enrich to change the name to BAS.
Here are directions on where to enter:
1) Test: from the drop-down menu, select DRA-2 General
2) Administration: select 2015-16 Beginning of year Baseline
3) It will open the spreadsheet, and teacher can enter the Independent BAS score in that first column-Gen Text Level. That is the only column teachers need to enter data.
- For all APS students who are on a READ plan, BAS levels need to be entered into Enrich monthly. A teacher is able to enter multiple scores in the same window by following the directions on this Enrich Help Sheet. This help sheet link is also at the bottom of the Key Assessment Chart on page 2.
- Teachers should enter BAS baseline scores by Sept 11 into the Beginning of Year Baseline window.
Please email Lori Stack if you have any questions or need support with Enrich.
READ Act Team
- Elementary Literacy
- Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS)
- Accountability & Research
- Exceptional Student Services
- English Language Acquisition
For support, please contact: