Returning In Person Instruction
What to Know When Returning In Person for Instruction
We are excited to begin welcoming to the building our Martin Mustangs that chose Face to Face Instruction! As we proceed to return to the building, we will be prioritizing student and staff safety while working towards a sense of "normalcy" for everyone. Safety requires our strict adherence to CDC and local guidelines throughout the day, causing several changes and adjustments to our routines and procedures. This will impact not only our Face to Face students, but our Virtual students as well.
For further details regarding returning to Face to Face instruction such as What to Expect, What to Bring, Day 1 Information, and more, please click on the Phase-In Family Support link below.
As always, if you have any questions or concerns, please feel free to reach out to us or your child's teacher.
Ms. Hix prepares her classroom in preparation for the PK students returning for in person instruction.
Ms. Allberry classroom is ready for in person students in Kinder.
3rd Grade Room
Ms. Grant class is prepared for face to face students.
Important Announcements/Safety Information
- Every student is REQUIRED to wear a mask when in the building. See the Mode of Dress below for details on types of masks that are allowed.
- All students will have their temperatures checked as they enter the building with a touch free thermometer. If they have a temperature of 100 degrees or more, they will be sent to the nurse's office to be evaluated by the nurse.
- As we move towards a hybrid of some virtual and some face to face instruction, there will be some changes in teachers for students. Teachers will be messaging students and parents through Dojo and Remind apps. Your child's Schoology will still be the same, but there will be new folders to click on when completing their assignments.
- Please ensure your contact information is up to date with our Registrar. Digital communication is essential during this time and your phone numbers and emails will be our primary means of communication. Updating your information will ensure you receive all communication from our school and Alief.
- Until further notice, there will be NO VISITORS to the building. If you have questions, please contact the front office via phone. Our contact information can be found at the bottom of the newsletter or on our website.
- There will be NO lunch drop offs allowed. If your child will be eating a lunch from home, please send them with their lunchboxes on arrival.
- During drop off and pickup times, please continue to practice social distancing, wear a mask, and avoid congregating too close to any entry way.
- Construction is ongoing at the front of the building as we are getting a new parking lot in front of the school. While construction is ongoing, please avoid walking through the construction areas.
New Look Office
Plexiglass and handsanitizer protects both the student visitors to the office and our lovely Mrs. Johnson and Mrs. Lopez
Hand Sanitizing Stations
Stand alone sanitizing stations are positioned throughout the building in high traffic areas.
Social Distancing Markers
Decals line areas of the building where lines may form to give students visual markers of proper social distancing within CDC guidelines.
New Look Office
Hand Sanitizing Stations
Ms. Casella reviews student language records in preparation for dual language instruction.
Mrs. Lopez prepares hundreds of devices for students to use while working face to face.
Nurse's clinic is following CDC and local guidelines to keep all who enter safe.
Mode of Dress
All students are required to wear a cloth mask that fully covers both their nose and mouth. Masks cannot have a vent or inappropriate words or graphics. Neck guards, handkerchiefs, and bandanas are not allowed. Cloth masks cannot have a picture of a bandana. Every child will be given one reusable cloth mask. Masks should be kept clean and washed daily if reusable. Disposable masks should not be used more than one day. Parents are encouraged to send a couple of extra masks to school in a ziplock bag that is clearly labeled with their names and grade level in case one gets soiled or breaks. Reusable soiled or broken masks will be sent home. Disposable soiled or broken masks will be thrown away.
TOPS (no logos or graphics)
Polo Shirts: Long sleeves or short sleeves—solid colored with collar
Martin Spirit Shirts: Martin Spirit Shirt days are Mondays, although Martin shirts may be worn throughout the week.
College Shirts: College Spirit days are Wednesdays.
House Spirit Shirts: Martin House Spirit Shirt days are Fridays and for Field Trip, Field Day, and Special Assemblies.
Sweatshirts: Any solid colored
Cardigans: Any solid colored
Turtle Necks: Any solid colored
Slacks, Skorts, Shorts*, Jumpers* or Skirts*: Navy, Khaki, or Black
*Shorts, skirts, skorts, dresses, or jumpers can not be shorter than 2 inches above the knee
*Shorts or solid colored leggings must be worn under skirts, dresses, or jumpers.
Jeans: Blue—Fitted at the waist, Straight leg fit (plain - no designs)
Must be rubber soled and encase the entire foot.
Socks must be worn and washed regularly.
Not permitted: sandals, flip flops, heels, wheelies, shoes that squeak, shoes that light up, and cowboy boots*
*(Except for special events as designated by administrators).
Car Riders (Grades PK AM and PM/K/1st)
- Parents will turn onto Sharpcrest and drop off PK-1st graders at the back of the building at Door 7, across the street from the portables. Staff will be at the curb to open the door and assist students getting out of the car. Once the students are unloaded, vehicles will then turn left into the staff parking lot and exit East down Pompano.
Car Riders (Grades 2nd/3rd/4th)
- Parents will drive West on Hendon and drop off 2nd-4th graders at the front of the building on the Martin side of the street ONLY. DO NOT drop off on the opposite side of the street. There is usually heavy traffic and we do NOT want to put students or you in danger by crossing in the middle of the street. Staff will be at the curb to open the door and assist students getting out of the car. Once the students are unloaded, vehicles will continue down Hendon, past the stop sign, and exit at Kirkwood.
West and East Walkers
- Students walking to the school from Belle Glen side and Belle Park side will enter the front of the building at the main entrance door. Parents escorting their children will drop them off at the Southeast corner of the building sidewalk and only students will proceed under the new canopy. This will limit the number of contacts of our staff assisting car riders with people other than the students. A staff member will be out in front of the building to receive the students.
- Bus riders that have been approved to ride a bus will be picked up at a location and time given by Alief Transportation. For questions regarding being added to the bus approval list, bus stop location, or pickup time, please contact Alief Transportation at 281-983-8400 or Special Transportation at 281-983-8490. Most bus riders will be dropped off at the back of the building across from the playground where staff will receive them. PARENTS - Be sure to remind your child(ren) they must wear their mask throughout the bus ride.
- Students being dropped off by daycare will be dropped off in the front of the building in the car rider line or in the back with buses. Please contact your daycare provider regarding questions on transportation and to learn about their individual safety/social distancing practices. We encourage students to follow CDC guidelines and wear their mask throughout their riding of shared transportation.
- Our AM PK group will dismiss from 11:30-11:45AM at the front door. Parents walking up will wait at the designated PK Pickup area in the front under the canopy. Parents will need to hold up the student's dismissal tag and a staff member will escort the child to you for pickup. If picking up by car or daycare, the parent/approved guardian will pull up to the front of the building headed West on Hendon with the dismissal tag hanging from the rear-view mirror and a staff member will open the car door to assist in loading the student.
To ensure we adhere to CDC and local guidelines for safety, we are starting dismissal a few minutes earlier.
PK PM Dismissal
- Our PM PK group will dismiss starting at 3:05PM and will be at the back of the school on Sharpcrest, Door 7, across from the portables. Parents/Daycare can turn onto Sharpcrest from Belle Glen with the student dismissal tag hanging in the rear-view mirror, and a staff member will open the car door to assist in loading the student. If walking up, parents will approach from the same direction on the sidewalk, hold up the student's dismissal tag, and staff member will escort the child to you for pickup.
Kinder West Walkers
- Starting at 3:10PM, parents/Guardians picking up Kinder West Walkers (closer to Kirkwood) will wait on the sidewalk outside Door 4 (the Southwest corner of the building off Belle Glen) and hold up the student's dismissal tag. A staff member will then bring your student to the escort the child out for you to pickup. PARENTS - Given the age and heavy traffic during dismissal, we encourage parents to pickup students by car when possible to provide greatest amount of safety. Especially now given the need for social distancing.
Kinder East Walkers
- Starting at 3:10PM, parents/Guardians picking up Kinder East Walkers (away from Kirkwood) will wait on the sidewalk outside Door 14 (Southeast corner of building). Parents/Guardians will hold up the student's dismissal tag. Staff members will then release the student to the parent. PARENTS - Given the age and heavy traffic during dismissal, we encourage parents to pickup students by car when possible to provide greatest amount of safety. Especially now given the need for social distancing.
1st-4th West Walkers
- Starting at 3:20PM, 1st-4th West Walkers will be called from their classrooms to proceed to exit the building at Door 3 where staff will be waiting to escort them to the Southwest corner of the school at Hendon and Belle Glen. Parents/Guardians will wait across the street from the school and receive their chid(ren) as they come. If you cannot have a parent/guardian receive the child, they will need to be changed to either car rider or daycare rider. Vehicles may NOT be parked along Belle Glen to pickup walkers. Vehicles seen waiting to pickup walkers here will be changed to Car Rider pickup. PARENTS - Given the age of students and heavy traffic during dismissal, we encourage parents to pickup students by car when possible to provide greatest amount of safety. Especially now given the need for social distancing.
1st-4th East Walkers
- Starting at 3:15PM, 1st-4th East Walkers will be called from their classrooms to proceed to exit the building at Door 14 (the Southeast of the building) where staff will be waiting to escort them down Hendon to the corner of Hendon and Belle Park. Parents/Guardians can wait across the street to receive their child. If you cannot have a parent/guardian receive the child, they will need to be changed to either car rider or daycare rider. PARENTS - Given the age of students and heavy traffic during dismissal, we encourage parents to pickup students by car when possible to provide greatest amount of safety. Especially now given the need for social distancing.
- Starting at 3:25PM, bus riders will be called from the classroom as the buses arrive to exit the front door where staff will guide them to the appropriate bus. Once fully loaded, buses will depart the school. Kinder bus riders will need to be picked up at their respective bus stop by a parent or guardian who matches the ID information provided to the district. Bus drivers will ask for ID from Kinder parents for the first couple weeks before allowing the students off the bus. After the first couple weeks, Kinder parents will need to have a dismissal tag picked up from the school to pickup from the bus stop. 1st-4th will be allowed to walk from the bus stop unescorted. Kinder students with no guardian waiting at the bus stop will be brought back to the school and parents will be called to come pickup.
- Starting at 3:25PM daycare riders will be called to the gym from their classroom where staff will be waiting to sit them with enough social distancing until their daycare arrives. Daycare vans will pickup outside behind the buses.
Car Riders (K-4)
- Car riders will be called from the classrooms as parents arrive, starting at 3:25PM. Car rider line will begin in the teacher parking lot and stretch down Pompano. Parents should head Westbound on Pompano from Bell Park to enter the line. Please have your car rider tag fully displayed with name facing out on your rear-view mirror. A staff member will view the Car Rider dismissal tag on the rear view mirror of the car and, when ready, will be told which parking spot to pull up to to wait. A staff member will be there to open the door and assist your child in loading. Parents are encouraged to wear a mask when staff members are assisting your child load for staff safety.
Ms. McMurray has arranged her background to capture student attention via zoom during her Music classes. Her singing and music playing require their own private space to avoid interrupting other zoom classes and soon-to-be face to face lessons that are ongoing.
Coach Ary and Coach Dickens work virtually for the last couple days in their temporary offices. They will begin doing face to face physical activities with students when they return to get them moving and energized! We will still maintain social distancing guidelines to ensure safety indoors as well as outdoors.
Art and Health/Tech
Mrs. Rogers and Mrs. Archibald share a temporary work space to allow for classes to use their regular rooms during face to face instruction. They still make sure their lessons are engaging and creative to keep student's attention during virtual instruction.
Student lunch will remain the same as the current all day schedule. Kinder students get their lunches delivered to their rooms. 1st-4th students pick up their trays at lunch and then return to their classroom to eat.
PK students in the AM group will be given breakfast from 8:00AM that they will eat in their classrooms. PK students in the PM will have their lunches delivered to them
The cafeteria will not be open for eating in large groups for the time being.