3L Weekly News
Week Ending April 1, 2016
16-17 Class Placements
*The form is also attached to the email with this newsletter
Camden County K-9 Unit Visit
The Leni-Lenape Presentation
This week in...
Thank you Mrs. Simkus for reading us a wonderful book!
- This week we spent time working on Daily 5 activities such as read to self, read with a partner, and guided reading.
- We worked in partners to read an fable titled Auac and Lamiran. We talked about the characters and the moral of this story. Students identified textual details that supported their ideas.
- Additionally, we looked at the different structures an author can use to present informational writing. It can be presented in the following formats: main idea/details, part to whole, steps in a process, problem/solution, cause/effect, spatial, text/graphic features, and domain specific vocabulary.
We multiplied 1-digit numbers by multiples of 10, 100, and 1,000 and divided such multiples by 1-digit numbers.
We determined when an estimate is appropriate to use and an practiced using basic facts to make estimates.
We completed the practice test and worked on Open Response questions.
Our Unit 7 Math Test will be on Tuesday, April 5, 2016.
Please remind your child to show his or her work on ALL math homework. If a student needs scrap paper to show his or her work, please attach it to the homework.
- We continued working on developing the chapters for our informational book.
- We discussed the importance of making sure our table of contents and writing is completed in a logical sequence.
- We used the idea of having a logical sequence and revised the chapters we wrote to follow this idea.
- We studied our mentor text, Dangerous Animals, as a way to learn more about elaboration and applied these strategies to our writing.
- Please encourage your child to continue to research (using books or the internet) their topics to help prepare them for writing.
- The next Word Study Assessment will be on Monday, April 4th (Day 6)--TOMORROW!
- We tested the unknowns with Red Cabbage Juice. One of the unknowns turned green. Do you know what it could be?!
Habit of the Month: Think Win-Win
I balance courage for getting what I want with consideration for what others want. I make deposits in others’ Emotional Bank Accounts. When conflicts arise, I look for third alternatives.
I encourage parents to submit their children for nominations (you can email it right to me)! I'd love to celebrate what a child does outside of the classroom as much as we celebrate what they do in school. :-)
Please remember to have your child submit his/her poem for Poet of the Week prior to the presentation for approval.
Multiplication: It is important that students are studying their multiplication facts each night. It not only helps build good study habits, but also builds stamina and quick recall! While it is great students are using strategies such as repeated addition and drawing pictures, these facts must be known by heart. Students can check out my eBoard for additional practice with this skill.
Absences/Late: Always include firstname.lastname@example.org on all emails regarding absence, early dismissal or late arrival. This email is checked frequently throughout the day.
Vocabulary: Vocabulary for each story in Journeys can be found on my eBoard under the Language Arts tab. The red tabs are sectioned by lesson (example: L1 is Lesson 1 etc.). Vocabulary can also be found in the Journeys textbook or online textbook (before the reading selection).
Strings Make Up Work: Please keep in mind that your child will be missing instructional time when he or she attends strings. Any work that he or she miss will be expected to be made up.
Birthdays: If your child would like to celebrate his/her birthday, please contact me so we can set up a date to celebrate! See my eBoard for more details.
Student Logins: If students forget their Journeys Textbook click this link for the website. Students have logins and passwords in the front of their Agendas. EDM Home Links can be accessed on the website. The login information is also in the front of your child's planner book. My eBoard has additional information on logging in under the Language Arts and Math tabs.
Check This Out!
**My eBoard has loads of resources on it under the Math Tab. Be sure to check it out!
1.Typing Agent: **This is a GREAT tool to help your child with his/her typing skills!
- The link can be found on my eBoard under the PARCC/Teach tab.
Student Council Activities
Central Events: January and February
Central Events: March
Wednesday, April 13
- Thomas Jefferson's Birthday
Thursday, April 21
- 6:30 pm Central School Expo Night
Friday, April 22
- 5:30 pm Rotary Oyster Dinner
Friday, April 29
- 6:00pm Family Fun Night
Specials This Week
Monday is a Day 6:
Tuesday is a Day 1:
- Spanish and Gym
Wednesday is a Day 2:
Thursday is a Day 3:
- Health and Gym
Friday is a Day 4:
Guest Read Aloud Schedule
- Jennifer Cittadini Wednesday, October 14 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Beth Wassall Wednesday, October 21 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Nicole Ventrella Tuesday, October 27 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Emmie Goldenbaum-Cook Thursday, November 12 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Mia Levine or Eric Huebl: Friday, November 20 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Jennifer Barker Monday, November 23 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Stefanie Kist: Wednesday, December 2 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Dana Mower: Monday, December 7 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Jeff Tucker Tuesday, January 5 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Susan Gordon: Tuesday, January 12 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Jennifer Grega : Friday, January 22 @ 2:40
- Robin Landis: Friday, February 5 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Dori Shields: Monday, February 22 @2:40 (completed)
- Barbara Cavacini: Thursday, February 25 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Heather Tucker: Friday, March 4 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Debbie Wolschina: Friday, March 11 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Shannon Simkus: Tuesday, March 29 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Sara Blackburn: Tuesday, April 5 @ 2:40
- Sharon Dominco: Wednesday, April 13 @ 2:40
- Mary Beth Smith: Tuesday,May 10 @ 2:40
- Carol Cox: Friday, June 10 @ 2:40
Star of the Week Schedule
Student and Date:
1. Natalie Sept. 28-Oct.2 (completed)
2. Diego October 5-9 (completed)
3. Katie October 12-16 (completed)
4. Isaiah October 26-30 (completed)
5. Blair November 9-13 (completed)
6. Caden November 16-20 (completed)
7. Nathan November 30-Dec. 4 (completed)
8. Eliza January 4-8 (completed)
9. Caroline January 11-15 (completed)
10. Bryson January 25-29 (completed)
11. Vienna February 1-5 (completed)
12. Dayne February 22-26 (completed)
13. Libby February 29-Mar.4 (completed)
14. Derrick March 7-11 (completed)
15. Lindsey March 14-18 (completed)
16. Diana March 29- April 1 (completed)
17. Molly April 4-8
18. Liam April 11-15
19. Elena April 25-29
20. William May 2-6
21. Joey May 16-20
22. Christopher June 6-10
Poet of the Week Schedule
Student and Date:
1. Libby Friday, October 2 (completed)
2. Liam Friday, October 9 (completed)
3. Diana Friday, October 16 (completed)
4. Vienna Friday, October 30 (completed)
5. Lindsey Friday, November 13 (completed)
6. Derrick Friday, November 20
7. Molly Friday, December 4 (completed)
8. Elena Friday, December 11 (completed)
9. Natalie Friday, January 8 (completed)
10. Joey Friday, January 15 (completed)
11. William Friday, January 29 (completed)
12. Isaiah Friday, February 12 (completed)
13. Katie Friday, February 19 (completed)
14. Christopher Friday, February 26 (completed)
15. Blair Friday, March 4 (completed)
16. Caden Friday, April 1 (completed)
17. Diego Friday, April 8
18. Nathan Friday, April 15
19. Eliza Friday, May 6
20. Caroline Friday, May 13
21. Bryson Friday, May 27
22. Dayne Friday, June 10