Della's Consign Home Decor
TIPS ON CLEANING OUT YOUR CLOSET FOR CONSIGNMENT
In-style, in-season, clean and on hangers are our basics. Ask what season we are taking in.
Like weight, closet accumulation does not happen overnight. So don’t expect to clear it out in an hour. Probably three hours is a fair time allotment. A picky friend is also a good thing to have. Agree to do it for each other to make it fun and worthwhile. A nice glass of wine also helps in these circumstances.
1. Keep your “uniforms.” These are the items that you wear every day in some capacity. It might be a blouse and a jacket and a trouser. Put those in a stack on the bed. You already know that your uniform items fit, are flattering and not too much work. Remove everything from your closet including the dust bunny shoe and purse area.
2. Anything with the tags still on it and a year with no wear is probably not a keeper. These are impulse buys and often have no business in our wardrobes.
3. Have a stack for charity, a stack for consignment and a stack for repairs.
4. Work from the theory of abundance. We all have more in our closets than we can possibly wear. Let’s get these items back into circulation.
5. Practice the “in/out” rule. One item in, one item out.
6. If you’re not sure about an item, wear it once before you part with it. There is usually a reason why you didn’t wear it right away.
7. Leave your brand names, fabric and care tags in. You can cut out the size, but the future buyer would like to know how to take care of a garment as well as making sure there are no fabrics she is allergic to.
8. Be sure to include accessories such as costume jewelry, scarfs, purses, shoes.
Della’s seasons are dictated by the weather. We are more “in the season” than department stores which keeps us separated from traditional retailers. We think our customers are more “in the moment,” and appreciate us not jumping the season so much. When you shop in winter, we have winter items. When you shop in the summer, we have summer items. etc.