Liberty Academy Newsletter
January 30, 2020
What is the A+ program? Is it right for me?
What is the A+ program?
- A+ is a Missouri Department of Higher Education (MDHE) program, that will pay your tuition (maximum of $175.25 per credit hour) to any eligible Missouri public community college, vocational, or technical school. To qualify for the A+ benefit, you must complete a FAFSA and enroll full-time (12 or more credit hours per semester) within 48 months after graduation from high school.
- Many 4-year Universities in Missouri offer a benefit to students who graduate with A+ status; please look under the Resources heading on this page to find out more.
- NOTE: LPS is considered an Out-of-District school at MCC. Tuition is paid according to a set amount per credit hour and does not include Individual Course fees, Supply fees or Books. Currently, MCC tuition for the 2019-2020 school year is set at $190.00 per credit hour.
What are the requirements to complete the A+ program?
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident
- Attend an A+ qualified high school for 2 years/4 semesters
- Enroll in the A+ program via signed application
- Complete 50 hours of unpaid tutoring (this is total and can be accumulated over the 4 years of high school)
- Maintain a 2.5 or higher GPA (cumulative)
- Maintain a 95% attendance rate (cumulative)
- Score Proficient or Advanced on the Algebra I EOC
- Maintain a record of good student citizenship
- Fill out/complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Financial Student Aid)
- Register with the Selective Service (males only, Federal Law)
How do I get started with A+? EMAIL Mrs. Streu, Counselor, to get started now! firstname.lastname@example.org
Important for Juniors and Seniors!
The ACT is an entrance exam used by most colleges and universities to make admissions decisions. It is a multiple-choice, pencil-and-paper test administered by ACT, Inc. The purpose of the ACT test is to measure a high school student's readiness for college, and provide colleges with one common data point that can be used to compare all applicants.
Liberty Public schools offers the ACT exam to every Junior during the spring semester. This year our testing date is Tuesday, March 24th. Participating students take the ACT during the school day and it is paid for by the district.
We have found that at Liberty Academy there are students who are not immediately headed to a college or technical school and do not need an ACT score at this time. Liberty Academy Juniors are asked to OPT IN to take the district offered ACT exam. Juniors who do not OPT IN will not be required to sit for the ACT but will be required to attend school as usual that day.
If you are a senior and did not take the ACT last year during our ACT testing day--and you'd like to take it--we will offer the test to you too! PLEASE let Mrs. Streu know!
If you have questions or concerns about the ACT OR if you want to OPT IN, please contact Mrs. Streu, Counselor, at email@example.com or at 816.736.5470.
Seniors: Looking for scholarships for college or technical school?
LHS students can find their information HERE.
LNHS students can find their information HERE.
Mrs. Streu is happy to help...answer your questions...edit your scholarship applications...find information regarding the FAFSA...whatever! I cannot, however, recreate the depth your home high school goes in to in regards to post-high school financial aid. Please be sure to attend senior planning nights at your high school and watch for their email updates weekly. They are important.
Liberty Community Scholarship deadline is 2/3/2020!!!!!
The submission deadline is 4pm on February 3, 2020.
The Liberty Community Scholarship Program is made up of scholarships given through the generosity of 40+ local organizations. All seniors from LHS and LNHS are eligible to apply; all organizations accept the same single application! Each scholarship will be awarded to seniors from LHS and/or LNHS. Scholarship awards average $1,000 each. Over $130,000 and 97 awards were given last May. The submission deadline is 4pm on February 3, 2020.
Talk to Mrs. Streu if you have questions!
Graduating in May? Walking in the ceremony? You NEED a cap and gown!
Simply CALL JOSTENS at 816-523-2900 and let them know that you are a Liberty Academy student (or a Missouri Option student) and let them know what home high school you are out of. They will help you get your cap and gown ordered this way. There is still plenty of time to get your gear delivered in time for the spring festivities. But don't wait!