The Akre Update
“But,” you ask, “what if people are rude?”
PennyLous Favorite Quote.
- Dad: Priest Adviser
- Mom: Cub Scouts
- Chelsea: 2nd Counselor in the Relief Society
- JeanCarlo: Seminary Teacher
- Shelby: 1st Counselor in YW
- Eric: YM President
- Amria: Mission
- Levi: Priest Quorum President
- PennyLou: Mia Maid President
- Yvonne: 2nd Counselor in Beehives
News From Home Base
Dad: Getting close to finishing the car he is working on! I included one picture in this flyer but there are a bunch more on facebook. He also takes the family to the races every weekend.
Levi: Got ordained an Elder on the 22nd. He is getting so close to leaving on his mission. He also turned 18! It's been a big month for Levi. The girls wrote on his truck and gave him some Reese's cereal that said Happy Birthday. He has also been working with Dad a lot and playing with friends (hiking and boating and whatnot).
PennyLou: Started Voiced lessons, she says, "My teacher is Wacky". She has been working on Personal Progress things/reading scriptures and weeding for mom as per part of the summer program.
Yvonne: Yvonnes been working on her Personal Progress as well. She recently planned two weeks of meals for the family and has been helping mom cook. She has also been helping out Trygg work on his Duty to God.
Trygg: In addition to working on his Faith in God, he has been rollerblading with Yvonne. He also got some new Pokemon cards and mom let him have her coupon binder to put them in so that they were protected. He is also getting his Bear Scout Badge next pack meeting.
Shelby: Just keeping busy with the normal stuff. We are finally starting to make some good friendships here which is a big help to my sanity. Eric also took me to the Navy Ball at the beginning of the month. It was a lot of fun. We got to have a dinner on a ferry, which was a weird experience. Good but somewhat dizzying.
Chad: We got him a baby pool and a water table, and he plays with them everyday. If I don't take him out til after his nap, right after his nap he goes to the door or the window and starts knocking so that I will take him out. He still isn't saying much but has started shrugging his shoulders when he doesn't know what is going on, which is cute and funny. He has also started to grab our fingers when he wants something and leads us to whatever that is (i.e. the fridge, the change table, the crayons, the chalk). Furthering the fact that he doesn't like to talk... he just finds other ways to be heard.
Landon: Loves his "vroom vrooms" and will not go to bed without one in each hand. If he doesn't have one, he will let his mama know. He has been learning A LOT of new words recently. A new word everyday.
Jake: Is an Angel. He eats well, sleeps well, smiles a lot, laughs out loud and likes to talk to whoever will give him attention. He is holding he head up really well and starting to try to roll over. He can go from his back to his side and back down to his back.
Update: Amria is coming home July 10th to get better. She hope to be out in the field again in 1 - 3 months.
July 10th - Amria Comes HomeAugust 13th - Levi Leaves for the MTC
August 17th - Erics Birthday
Levi's Birthday Dinner = Scalloped Potato and Ground Beef Casserole
1 1/2 ground beef
1 med onion, chopped
1 small green pepper, chopped (optional)
4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/2 tsp dried chili pepper flakes
1 tsp seasoning salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
5-6 russet potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
2 (10 3/4 oz) cans condensed cream of chicken soup, undiluted
1 small onion chopped, about 1/3 cup
3/4 cup light cream
1/2 cup sour cream
1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp seasoning salt
fresh ground black pepper to taste
1. In a skillet cook the ground beef with onion, bell pepper and chili flakes. cook until not longer pink, drain fat using a colander
2. Return to pan, add the garlic, season salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring with a wooden spoon until lightly browned.
3. For sauce, In med bowl mix undiluted soup with onion, milk, sour cream, parmesan cheese, sour cream, garlic powder, season salt and black pepper. Mix well to combine.
4. In a greased 13X9 pan baking dish. Alternate a layer of potatoes with a layer of sauce/soup mixture (if you want you can sprinkle a little bit of cheddar over the soup mixture) then ground beef on top.
5. Put a cookie sheet under the baking dish when cooking so there are no spills.
6. Bake covered with foil for 1 hour at 350 degrees
7. Uncover and continue baking for 20-30 mins until potatoes are tender (time will vary depending on thickness) .
8. Remove from oven, sprinkle with grated cheese, put back in the oven for 4-5 mins or until cheese is melted. serve.