Camp Road Cougar News
August 21, 2022
Hello Camp Road Families!
The first week of school was amazing! We spent the first three days of school getting to know our students and teaching/re-teaching our school procedures. We are excited to get started with curriculum next week. We spend the first few days of school reviewing procedures so that students can be successful throughout the year.
Please take a few minutes to look through your child's agenda. All of the Camp Road policies and procedures are listed on the first few pages. If you haven't already, sign the front of your child's agenda indicating that you have reviewed these procedures.
We tested out a slight change to the arrival traffic pattern today to see if it would make an impact on the traffic on Camp Road. There was a small improvement, which is moving in the right direction. We still have a ways to go and we will continue to work on this issue. Please review the Update to Arrival Procedures below for more information.
The district has made some changes to the Technology policy; most notably a change to fines/fees for lost, damaged, or stolen chromebooks and chromebook chargers. Please review the News from the Media Specialist for more information about this updates policy.
I'm looking forward to another great week at Camp Road this week!
Use this link to locate your bus child's bus stop. Use code KK8E for Camp Road
August 31 - Math MAP Testing
September 1 - ELA MAP Testing
September 2 - Coffee and Conversations
September 5 - School Closed for Labor Day
September 8 - Open House
News from the Data Clerk
Updates to Arrival Traffic Pattern
- When dropping off students in the morning, we will use both lanes of the parent pick up line in front of the school (just like we do at dismissal). This will help to move a few more cars off of Camp Road.
- We will extend the drop off zone from the front office doors to the orange cone at the far end of the parent pick up line.
- Cars will merge into one line at the beginning of the drop off zone in front of the office to ensure that students can safely exit vehicles.
- We ask that cars pull all the way up to the orange cone at the end of the drop off zone. This will allow more cars to enter the drop off zone at one time. If you are not the first car, please pull up right behind the car in front of you.
- Please encourage your child(ren) to exit the car quickly and efficiently, so that we can move cars quickly through the drop off zone.
News from the Media Specialist
Students will receive their chromebooks to take home on Monday.
Just like textbooks, team uniforms, and other school property issued to students, there is a responsibility to care for and return the property in good/working condition. These devices are owned by CCSD and should not be considered as personal devices. Steps need to be taken to reduce the number of broken and lost devices. This includes both iPads and Chromebooks assigned to students.
District Leadership has approved a fee structure for damages and loss of chromebooks:
- Negligent/Accidental Breakage - No charge for first incident per school year $50 per incident for each subsequent event
- Intentional Vandalism - $300.
- Stolen Device - No cost if a police report is provided
- Lost Device - $300
- Lost Charger - $40
Chargers tend to disappear at school, and we have no way to track them. Therefore, students should NOT bring their Chromebook chargers to school. Please charge devices at home each evening. As outlined above students will be responsible for the cost of replacing lost chargers, so please don’t let your student bring their charger to school!
CCSD middle schools do not directly sponsor sports. Our middle school sports are handled at the discretion of community organizations and our local high school. Please see the information below regarding middle school sports.
Charleston City Park and Recreation
The City’s Park and Recreation department typically handles the following sports below. You will want to review their website to see what is required to participate and what sports are being offered in each season.
- Coed Soccer
- 6th Grade Football
Trident Basketball League
TBL typically has a basketball team for the following:
- 6th, 7th and 8th grade boys and girls bball.
James Island Charter High School
JICHS typically offers the following to 7th and 8th grade students at Camp Road
- Cross country (JIXC Flyer)
- C Team Football
- B Team Football
- B team Basketball
- Mens and Womens Golf
- Mens and Womens Tennis
Grade Level Administrators and Guidance Counselors
- Administrator: Mr. Westergaard (email@example.com)
- Guidance Counselor: Mrs. Fennessey (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Administrator: Ms. Latto (email@example.com)
- Guidance Counselor: Mrs. Stonecypher (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Administrator: Mr. Glover (email@example.com)
- Guidance Counselor: Mrs. Ciucci (firstname.lastname@example.org)