McKinley Mustang Newsletter
March 15th- 19th
A Note From Mrs. Larson
Introducing our new 7th-grade math and science teacher for the 2021-2022 school year.
Mr. D-Z was a founding teacher of the GATE/McKinley Accelerated Program, where he designed the program curriculum and taught 4th and 5th grade from 2013 - 2018. He currently teaches 3rd grade, where he has continued to bring a passion for project-based learning to the curriculum.
Mr. D-Z maintains a deep interest in coding and robotics instruction, with integrated units taught in his classroom each year. He has partnered with SCOE to bring coding and robotics instruction to the intermediate grades and acted as a teacher leader in the design of a school-wide coding/robotics scope and sequence. Mr. D-Z has also been the coach of McKinley’s Science Olympiad/Challenge teams.
Prior to joining the McKinley community, Mr. D-Z taught in San Francisco Unified in the Mission and Russian Hill neighborhoods. The 2021-2022 school year will mark his 17th year teaching and his 9th at McKinley. He is also a National Board Certified Teacher and holds a Bilingual Education Authorization in Spanish.
In his free time, Mr. D-Z enjoys playing music, hiking, and going to the beach with his two children - Harlow and Axton (who are in 4th and 5th grade at McNear School)-and his wife, Eva, who is also an educator and runs a preschool out of their home.
PCS is looking for Subs
Secondary Hybrid Webinar
- Recording of Secondary Parent Hybrid Webinar
- PDF of Slideshow from Secondary Parent Hybrid Webinar
- Board Resolution on Reopening Criteria
- Link to Updated Secondary Family Survey of Learning Preference
Donations Needed for the Mustang Social Spring Fundraiser
This year, we will once again hold the Mustang Social Spring Fundraiser silent auction online and we want to use it as an opportunity to support businesses in Petaluma. With this goal in mind, we are inviting families who can do so to help us by donating gift cards from local businesses and other items.
Here are ways you can support this event:
- Use this Sign Up Genius link and select a local business to support by purchasing a gift card to be part of our online auction. Gift card sign ups start at $10. If there are any favorite local businesses that you’d like to support that aren’t included in this list, please feel free to drop off a gift card to that business instead.
- Donate a cash amount for us to use to purchase items from Petaluma businesses to include in the online auction
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any items (wine, gift baskets, art, etc.), vacation homes, experiences or buy-in event connections you can donate!
We’ll be collecting donations at the McKinley office from April 12 to April 23. The auction will open on May 12 and close on May 16.
Got questions? Click here for more information.
Wanted: Awesome Parents Like You
Are you looking for ways to connect with other families and help McKinley at the same time? You're in luck as we are currently recruiting PTA board members for the 2021-2022 school year.
Whether your hobbies include calculating the rent costs for apartments you see on TV down to the penny, cat herding, or wandering the folder aisle at Office Depot, there is a place for you on our board.
Here are the open positions:
- Co-President (Executive Vice President--Membership)
- VP of Fundraising
- Financial Secretary
If you would like to learn more about any of the open positions next year, please email PTA Chris Lum and Ashley Fitting at email@example.com.
**Per 501c3 rules, we MUST have a President, Treasurer, and Secretary in order to function as a PTA.
BoxTops Collection Has Gone Digital
Follow the full instructions here to get started!
Still have BoxTops products in your pantry? No worries! This program is winding down but if you have unexpired BoxTops clips you can bring them to McKinley’s office by the fall deadline.