Middle School Principals Newsletter
Strong Leaders Make Strong Schools!
"What you think is important is what your staff, students and parents will think is important."
If someone were to ask your teachers/principals what 3 things they thought were important to you, what 3 things would they say?
State Testing Update - Presentation
Chad Hagstrom-Attendance Liaison Officer
Fax to Family Court: 257-3299
Kathy Richardson/Intake officer
Chad Hagstrom's Phone: #(810) 591-4979
You don't have to wait until 10 days to do mediation. Call Chad so it can be addressed early.
Effective Practices: Competition between classes for the month for attendance; attendance groups; promoting positive attendance.
Kristy Knight (810) 591-7337 and cell: (810) 597-7770 on what is working in Grand Blanc: #schooleveryday. Proactive attendance committee; Bobby Maksymowski (810) 208-7757 from Horace Mann will support schools with attendance incentives ($250). He asks for 5 minutes at a staff meeting, brings food, gift cards for a few minutes to share insurance information with the staff.
Trying to be proactive and preventative. This year DHHS will come with Chad for school level mediations. This diversion coach will be present, with the signature of the parent, to
Go to attendanceworks.org for great ideas and information.
Revised Social Studies Standards News
- Approved by SBE June 2019 for immediate implementation
- Revised MSTEP expected to be administered Spring 2022
- PD Development Committee working on 5 year plan
- Monday, October 14, 2019, MDE Standards Rollout Session
- Social Studies Teacher Leaders Meeting will focus on implementing revised standards
- Infusion of C3 Framework and pedagogical shifts
- Emphasis on essential practices for disciplinary literacy instruction
- Middles School 6h grade is World Geography and 7th grade is World History and Geography Eras 1-4
- C3 Framework
- C3 Pedagogical Shifts
- Essential Practices for Disciplinary Literacy Instruction in Secondary Classroom
- Geospatial Inquiry and New Temporal Sequencing - GIANTS - Grades 3-8 Curriculum
- MI Open Book
- C3 Teachers - K-12 Inquiry based lessons from various states
- Northern Michigan Inquiry Hub - K-12 Inquiry based lessons from MI educators
- Big Ideas Clickable Maps