The Ritenour Review
2016 - 2017 Third Grade Weekly News
Two Weeks Down!
This week has been busy! We finished all three of our Fall NWEA sessions - whew! Third grade is the start of the testing and we just knocked the first stage out of the water. We are ready to tackle the rest. Yes, our test sessions were late in the day and we had several kids get a little restless. As our school grows, we will work on being flexible with our schedules and try to get an entire school onto the network in timely manners. Thankfully, we are getting better and better with Chromebooks in our classroom and this will allow us to take the remaining tests on those - whenever we want! Woohoo!
Snapshot of the week:
- Reading: We are working on building our independent reading stamina and why we read daily. We want to get away from having a curmudgeon mindset and look for those golden moments within our books. Everyone can find the negativity in anything and we are CHOOSING to find the greatness.
- Math: We have navigated with a few new math tools we will use this week and we have learned how to use reference tools in math class. Building independence is the biggest hurdle your child will most likely experience in third grade. Find simple solutions and answers on their own will help them immensely.
- Grammar: We revisited the concept of nouns this week. Yes, this is not a new topic, but it is worth the time to recall noun rules: when do we capitalize and when do we leave them lower case.
- Word Study: We started last week with a spelling sort related to long and short a. The class has learned how to use their notebooks to organize and store helpful information on each sort we will visit this week.
Next week we will pick up the speed even more. Here is a look at our topics:
- Math: We will continue to review concepts taught last year and review the routines needed daily for our math supplies and rotations. We will add math centers and guided math groups.
- Language Arts: We will work on pronouns.
- Reading: We will work on retelling stories and understanding our books.
- Word Study: We will work sorting spelling words, learn new ways to practice spelling and take our first spelling test of the year!
- Thursday, August 25th: Picture Day
- Thursday, August 25th: Curriculum Night at 7:00pm
- Friday, August 26th: Eagle Fest
If you would like to order books for your child through scholastic's website, please click on the link above. Checks can still be sent to the classroom and I will mail the orders.