Glendale Elementary January News
- Jan 3 - Class Resumes
- Jan 7 - Kindergarten Option Event 6:30PM
- Jan 8 - 5th Grade Ski Field Trip to Hyland Hills 9:30AM - 3:30PM
- Jan 8 - PTC Meeting 6:30PM
- Jan 9 - CARES Breakfast
- Jan 10 - Jr. Naturalist Meeting 8:00AM
- Jan 10 - 4th & 5th Grade Geography Bee 2:30PM - 3:30PM
- Jan 11 - Glenmart Open 4th & 5th grade 9:20 - 9:45AM
- Jan 11 - 5th Grade Middle School Concert @ TOMS 10:15AM-11:30AM
- Jan 14 - Davanni's Night hosted by 3rd Grade
- Jan 16 - 5th Grade U of M Field Trip 11:30AM - 3:30PM
- Jan 17 - Kindergarten Registration **ONLINE ONLY**
- Jan 18 - Jr. Naturalist Meeting 8:00AN
- Jan 18 - Kindergarten Registration Night 6:30PM - 7:30PM
- Jan 18 - PTC ESTEM Night 6:15PM-8:15PM
- Jan 19 - Glenmart Open (during lunch & recess)
- Jan 19 - PTC ESTEM Night 6:15PM
- Jan 21 - NO SCHOOL- MLK Jr. DAY
- Jan 21 - D.O.G.S Meeting 6:30PM
- Jan 24 - EARLY RELEASE DAY (students dismissed at 1:50PM)
- Jan 25 - NO SCHOOL- Teacher Workshop
- Jan 31 - All School Meeting 9:30AM
- Jan 31 - 1st Grade Stages Theater Field Trip 11:45AM-3:00PM
- Feb 1- D.O.G.S. Winter Blast 6:30PM
Students at Glendale will be recognized for showing the CARES skills through out the school year. Adults can recognize students who are doing an excellent job demonstrating: Cooperation, Assertion, Responsibility, Empathy or Self control. Students who are recognized will be honored with a certificate, have their names announced at an All School Meeting, will be showcased in the Glendale monthly newsletter and will get to enjoy a cinnamon roll breakfast with Mrs. Molitor & the other recipients during morning meeting.
Congratulations to all of the students that received this award for December! The next C.A.R.E.S. breakfast will be Wednesday, January 9th.
YEARBOOKS ON SALE!
Yearbooks will go on sale January 11-February 1 (online sales only). Students will be bringing home a flyer with all the information on 1/11/19. Yearbooks will be delivered late May or early June. Cost is $18. Additional options are available for added costs and include: hard cover, name and photo on cover, stickers, autograph pages etc. Yearbook questions can be emailed to 2nd grade teacher Tom Deris at email@example.com
End of Day Procedures Reminder
Thank you Glendale families for your continued patience with our arrival & dismissal procedures. We are constantly trying to find ways to improve the efficiency of this process. With the start of the new year and winter now officially here, we thought it would be appropriate to review the current procedures.
- PICK UP IN CAR LINE: Please have your sign ready, visible in the window and line up in the lower level parking lot. When arriving in the parking lot, always stay to the right and form only one line.
- STUDENTS BEING BUCKLED IN CARSEATS: Once your child gets in the car, we ask that you please pull all the way to the end of the sidewalk near the lower level exit/stop sign to assist them in order to keep the line moving.
- PICK UP IN OFFICE: For safety reasons, there is NO PARKING on UPPER LOT BETWEEN 3:30pm- 4:05pm. IT IS STRICTLY FOR BUS USE ONLY! If you are picking your child up at the end of the day in the office, we ask that you please park in the LOWER LOT and walk up the hill to come in and sign them out. Unless your child has an appointment, we will begin our dismissal for all students at 3:45pm.
- Kids Co. is available if you need care for your student after 4:00pm. If there is an emergency and you are going to be late, please notify the office and your student will be waiting in the front office. You will need to come in and sign them out.
If you have any questions, feel free to call the main office at 952.226.0200. If needed, the Kids Company phone number is 952.226.0090. Again, our main goal is to have a safe process to get our valuable students here and back home every day. Thank you for your cooperation!
Help name the new elementary school in Savage!
Prior Lake-Savage Area Schools is looking for name recommendations for our new elementary school that will be opening in the Big Sky Estates development in Savage in 2020. A committee will review all name suggestions and will make a recommendation to the School Board in February for their review and final decision.
The School Board asks that historical and geographical significance of the location be considered when a submitting name. If you have an idea for an optional name you would like considered, please share the following information: your name, city/township of residence, email, elementary school name recommendation and comments/suggestions regarding your name choice. Comments must be submitted by January 10, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org
Questions? Contact Kristi Mussman, PLSAS Director of Communications, email@example.com 952-226-0014
Countdown to Kindergarten
Districtwide Kindergarten Information Session is January 7, 2019
All parents of incoming 2019/20 kindergarten students are welcome to attend the Kindergarten Information Session on January 7 at 6:30 p.m. at Grainwood Elementary, 5061 Minnesota Street SE, Prior Lake. Parents will learn about our traditional kindergarten program and our La ola del lago Spanish immersion option, along with curriculum and enrollment information.
Online enrollment opens January 17, 2019
Beginning January 17, PLSAS will offer online enrollment for all new families, including incoming 2019/20 kindergarten students. At that time, families can visit the district's enrollment page to begin the student registration process.
To help prepare for online enrollment, please have your child’s most recent immunization record ready to upload, along with your student’s birth certificate or passport.
** For the 2019/20 school year, paper enrollment packets will not be mailed and enrollment will only be available online or by visiting the District Services Center, 4540 Tower Street SE, Prior Lake between 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Monday - Friday.
We look forward to being able to offer this new enrollment feature to incoming families.
Cold Weather Apparel
Dressing your child with warm clothes, hats, gloves, snow pants and boots helps students have a fun time in cold, snowy weather. **Students will always go outdoors for recess unless the "feels like" temperature falls below -5 degrees or it is steadily raining. Please help to make sure your child is prepared for outdoor recess each day!
**IMPORTANT: BE SURE TO LABEL YOUR CHILD’S JACKET, MITTENS, HAT, SNOW PANTS, AND BOOTS TO HELP PREVENT THEM FROM GETTING LOST!!
Box Tops for Education
Are you going to see family over the holidays? Ask them to save Box Tops for you!
Submitting them to the school is a win!
Box Tops for Education Labels are worth $.10 each. Schools can use Box Tops cash to buy whatever they need. There are hundreds of eligible food, food storage, paper and undergarment products that have Box Top labels on them.
Students and parents win too!
Students who submit 25 Box Tops on the submission form (found on Glendale.com/PTC/Helping Glendale/Fundraising) can choose a coupon/reward to a local restaurant or activity. There is no limit for the number of rewards to receive. The submission form lists the current reward options.
SPAN is the Synergy/SAGE Parent Action Network. We are also known as the Prior Lake-Savage Chapter of the MN Council for the Gifted and Talented (MCGT). Our mission is to support and advocate for academically advanced students, their parents, and their educators.
Our next meeting will take place on Tuesday January 15 at 7pm in the WestWood Elementary Media Center (5370 WestWood Dr. SE; Prior Lake, MN 55372), featuring Assistant of Student Support Services Melissa Knettel, who will speak and answer questions about how the needs of gifted kids are met throughout the district
We will also be hosting two informal “coffee” meetings toward the end of January (just in time for middle and high school scheduling!) where anyone can stop by to talk with SPAN Board members who have “been there” about any questions/concerns you have related to your child. The coffee meetings will take place on Th. Jan. 24 9:30-11am and Tu. Jan. 29 6:30-8pm at the Caribou inside the Prior Lake Lunds.
Be sure to sign up for our email list to be notified about the coffee meetings and other meeting dates. If you have questions or would like to be placed on our email list, please email Apryl at firstname.lastname@example.org. See all of our meeting dates on our website www.mcgt.net/priorlake .
Greetings from the Health Office!
The cold and flu season is upon us. Please consider getting your flu shot to protect yourself and those around you. Frequent hand washing is also a strong defense in preventing illness. If your child does become ill, please remember the following before sending them to school:
· If the student has had a fever of 100 degrees or more, the student should stay home for 24 hours after the temperature returns to normal without medication.
· If the student has vomited or had diarrhea, he/she should stay home until 24 hours after the last episode.
· If the student has any rash that may be disease-related or the cause is unknown, check with your health care provider before sending him/ her to school.
· If the student has open/draining skin sores, or inflamed/draining eyes or ears the student should stay home until seen by your health care provider.
· Head Lice Information: As always, please remember to check your student for head lice over the winter break and periodically throughout the year. Information about head lice is available on the Health Services website: https://www.priorlake-savage.k12.mn.us/about-us/departments/health-safety If you do not have access to a computer, please call the Health office for a hard copy.
**Please remember to launder and return any clothes that your child borrows from the Health Office. We would appreciate any clothing donations, we are always in high need of pants and underwear in sizes 5/6 & 7/8, so please consider us as you are doing your closet clean outs!