Green & Growing
Franklin County 4-H News - November 3, 2020
Ohio 4-H Family Guides Now Available
Congratulations Honor Clubs!
4-H Enrollment Now Open
2021 4-H Project Book Options
It's never to early to think about your projects for next summer! Here are some great ways to get your books.
- Download one for free. Select from a dozen popular titles in the Perfect Stay-at-Home Projects collection. Click on the book you want, and when the file opens on your screen, save or print it from there. This year, a selection of 4‑H Cloverbud activities is available too. (For accessible formats of these publications, visit cfaes.osu.edu/accessibility.)
- Order and pick up project books at the Extension Office. Ohio residents get the best price on printed books when they order and pick up their purchases through local Extension offices. To make an appointment to purchase a book at the office, call (614)866-6900, option 6.
- Buy one online. Like last year, you also can order directly from extensionpubs.osu.edu. Ohio residents receive free shipping on orders of $20 or more with the coupon FREE2021. Books cost slightly more this way, but orders can be shipped directly to any Ohio address. There is no restriction on the number of times a coupon can be used. See our printable Ordering Is Easy instructions. Please review your order carefully. Extension Publishing is not able to accept returns.
- Make your own. Self-determined projects are an excellent choice for self-motivated members eager to get started by creating their own projects. Although self-determined projects may be better suited for older 4-H members, they are available for any member and are often based on idea starters already available online. Many of the idea starters are great stay-at-home projects too, for example, Music, Bats, String Art, Climate Change, American Sign Language, etc. Learn about the best of current circumstances with My Own Stay-at-Home Project.
Give the Gift of Learning and Fun this Holiday!
Explore the Outdoors Gift Basket
- Project Book #611
- First Aid Kit
- Tree/Plant/Insect/Animal Field Guides
- Water Bottle
Rockets Away! Solid-Fuel Rockets Gift Basket
- Project Book #503
- Estes Rocket
- Rocket Launchpad
- Engine Packs
Let's Start Cooking Gift Basket
- Project Book #459
- Oven Mitt
- Measuring Cups
- Cookie Cutter
- Baking Mat
2020 Ohio 4-H Awards Event
Due to the cancellation of the Ohio 4-H Conference in March, the recipients of state awards were unable to receive in-person recognition. In lieu of the in-person ceremony, a virtual event will be held on December 1, 2020, at 7:00pm.
Franklin County is very excited to share that Brooke Fleshman will be receiving the Ohio 4-H Teen Hall of Fame award. Please consider registering for the event to cheer her on and support her.
Register Here: https://ohio4h.org/about/ohio-4-h-conference/2020-award-winners
Camp Counselor Applications - Deadline December 31
Applications are now being accepted for teens interested in serving as new or returning camp counselors at the 2020 Franklin County 4-H Camp, Sunday, June 13, through Thursday, June 17. Individuals thinking of applying should check out the position description and application details found HERE.
Important - New and returning counselors must apply. Note that applicants that were not counselors in 2020 will provide contact information (email) for two references in the application. Prior to completing the application, new applicants MUST contact and receive permission to list them as a reference.
- Must be a 4-H member in good standing & complete at least one project
- Must be at least 14 years old by the start of camp (June 13, 2021)
- Must be able to get transportation to meetings and events as needed
- Must complete a minimum of 24 hours of training. The first training meeting will take place on February 8 at 6:30pm. Additional training dates will be released at another time.
- Must complete Child Abuse Awareness training
- Must sign Standards of Behaviors and complete the Code of Conduct form
- Member in Good Standing Forms will be sent to club advisors of all applicants
- Applicants that were not counselors in 2020 must submit contact information for two references (contact the reference prior to listing them in your application).
- Applicants who are 18 years old or older as of April 13, 2021, must also submit to a background check
- All applications are due December 31, 2020
- Individuals who complete the application and fulfill the application requirements will be contacted regarding the selection process. All first-time counselors must complete the interview process while returning counselors will complete an interview if requested.
Franklin County 4-H Teen Leaders Council
You’re Invited to apply to be on the Franklin County Teen Leaders Council for 2021. We are looking for Franklin County 4-H members who are at least 13 years old or in the 7th grade. Our meetings will mostly be held on the 4th or 5th Tuesday of every month from 6:30-8:30.
The Teen Leaders Council is a Franklin County 4-H club that focuses on preparing teens to be caring and contributing leaders through educational and leadership opportunities. Other opportunities will include fun outings and service-learning projects.
Tentative Teen Leaders Council Calendar
(All Dates and Times are subject to change)
January 19, 2021 6:30-8:30pm
March 23, 2021 6:30-8:30pm
April 27, 2021 6:30-8:30pm
August 24, 2021 6:30-8:30pm
September 28, 2021 6:30-8:30pm
October 26, 2021 6:30-8:30pm
November 23, 2021 6:30-8:30pm
December 14, 2021 6:30-8:30pm
Interested in applying to serve on the Franklin County Teen Leaders Council?
(2020 members must reapply.)
Fashion Board Applicatons
The Franklin County 4-H Fashion Board is accepting applications for members in 2021.
- Must be 12 years old or older by 1/1/21
- Previously completed at least one clothing construction 4-H project
- Planning to complete at least one clothing project this year (it can be construction or consumer)
- A bright, motivated 4-H’er willing help organize events for Franklin County clothing participants and to assist with various activities surrounding judging and the fashion review
2021 Fashion Board Application: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/8WD69WS
Deadline to apply: December 31, 2020
Direct all Fashion Board questions to advisor, Samantha Brill at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Junior Fair Award Feedback Survey
2020 Ohio 4-H Celebration of Youth
Join the Ohio 4-H Foundation for this year’s Celebration of Youth event on Thursday, November 5 at 7:00. This year, for the first time, the virtual event is open to everyone free of charge. Participants will enjoy a program featuring many Ohio 4-H members and an online auction. Funds raised from Celebration of Youth support Ohio 4-H programming and operations to help engage youth across Ohio’s 88 counties. Please visit go.osu.edu/COY for event details, sponsorship information, and registration for the event.
- November 5, 2020 at 7:00
- Virtual and free, but must register at go.osu.edu/COY
- Online auction and opportunities to donate
- Fun program hearing from National 4-H CEO, our Ohio 4-H members and a few others
Careers in Fashion Videos
Club Fundraising & Community Service
Ohio 4-H has developed 4-H Club Fundraising and Community Service Guidance to assist clubs with these activities. The guidance is in addition to the already developed Ohio 4-H Planning Guide for In-Person Meetings and Events, which provides detailed information on sanitizing, physical distancing, mask wearing, etc. This information can be found https://ohio4h.org/families/stay-connected.
Friends of 4-H Camp Ohio
Amazon Smile Donations
Select Franklin County 4-H Council as your charity now by clicking this link:
Kroger Community Rewards
Register here: https://www.kroger.com/account/enrollCommunityRewardsNow
OSU Extension, Franklin
For an accessible format of this publication, visit cfaes.osu.edu/accessibility.