Reforms to Make a Fair Government
By Sabina Taneja
Rome Government Overview
3 Republic Examples
2. Popular Assembly was created- This was created because the plebeians demanded more power. The Popular Assembly was made up of only plebeians. They had the power to vote on issues, like war. The elected tribunes which were plebeian officials. They represented the plebeians in the government and looked after their welfare. This was not all the tribunes could do, they could also veto any decisions made by the consuls or the Senate. Later, the Popular Assembly was given the authority to make laws.
3. Twelve Tables were created - The Twelve Tables were a set of written laws that the plebeians insisted to have. It listed laws about crime, marriage, and property. This made sure that everyone followed the same laws, and got the same consequences.
3 Empire Examples
1. Citizenship granted to people in Italy- Augustus Caesar granted citizenship to the people of Italy. This made Rome expand and grow. Rome now had more citizens and had people speaking different languages and practicing different customs.
2. Jobs were created and road were built- Augustus Caesar created jobs by ordering the construction of palaces, aqueducts and temples. He also ordered the building of roads. The building of roads increased trade between Rome and its neighbors. Traveling and communicating were also easier with the roads.
3. Laws were translated and written down- Emperor Hadrian ordered that the laws were translated and written down. This allowed people living anywhere in the empire to be able to understand and follow the same laws.
Granting Citizenship to the People in Italy
This picture shows how many people lived in Rome after Augustus Caesar granted citizenship to the people in Italy.
The Building of the Roads
Laws Translated and Written Down