Week of: January 7 - January 11
Happy New Year! What better Mindset to start the New Year with than starting it with an Attitude of Gratitude which means making it a habit to express thankfulness and appreciation in all parts of your life, on a regular basis, for both the big and small things alike. I for one, have so many things to be thankful for - When it comes to McAllister Elementary, I am thankful to work alongside such passionate educators, amazing students and awesome parents that commit to making McAllister the very best!
The New Year is always an opportunity to renew, re-calibrate and refocus our expectations and intentions for the year! I project that 2019 will be exactly what we make of it - Let's work together to make it #TheBestYearYet!
As we get rolling Monday, please be cognizant of the schedule ensuring timely arrival, departure from specials, resource, lunch etc. It is imperative that students are not held back from specials, resource or lunch to complete class activities. Just like the homeroom class, our specials and resource teachers have activities planned to engage students from bell to bell.
With the new procedures in and throughout the school with regards to PBIS - Let's make sure that we instill the expectations and inspect those expectations throughout so that they become routine throughout the school. Thank you all for your involvement in making all things at McAllister meaningful and amazing!
A few reminders listed below:
o Monday, January 7 - Mindset Monday (Mindset Shirts and Jeans are Permissible)
o Monday, January 7 – PBIS Pep Rally (Cafeteria)
- 3rd – 5th Grade (7:50)
- PK-2nd Grade (8:40)
o Tuesday, January 15 – Professional Learning @ 3PM (Media Center)
o Wednesday, January 16 – Fire Drill @ 10AM
o Friday, January 18 – School Wide PJ Day – PTSO Fundraiser
o Monday, January 21 – MLK Day (No School)
o Tuesday, January 22 – 100th Day of School
With an intentional focus of consistency on being curious & crazy for kids you will ALWAYS find a culture that is student focused!
Have a WONDERful Week!
Flying into 2019 - Winners of the McAllister Flight Challenge!
Simple activities such as this allow for fun, creativity and most importantly collaboration! The McAllister ES staff never ceases to amaze in working alongside each other to find success in the simplest to most complex of tasks! Let's continue to take this mindset into the New Year as we work for the success of ALL our students!
Guided Reading & School Improvement
While this is a journey, I have listed a few of the appropriate steps that we will need to continue to implement school-wide so that we are moving collectively in the direction of success as it pertains to increasing the level of literacy of all our students :
Just a few reminders:
- Assessment Kit Teacher’s Guides are located on the School’s Team Drive for your convenience. You can find the Running Record Teacher pages there.
- Running Records should be completed before break.
- Include all lesson plan components when teaching. If you don’t finish a lesson in time, pick that item up the following day. Try not to leave anything out.
- Focus on using data to direct your instruction. (Running Records, sight word assessments, word knowledge inventory, etc.)
- When planning, please use the lesson plan templates provided in the book. Keep in mind that not all portions are meant to be filled out before your lesson, so not every box will need to be filled.
- Strategies and skills by level start in the Appendix at the back of Jan Richardson’s book to use when planning.
- Comprehension is solidified through writing so try not to skip those writing components or writing days.
- Guided Reading is the only true practice at all schools K-5 in Bryan County, so try and implement this practice with fidelity and ask for help if you need it.
Making Moves at McAllister
- Thank you to each and everyone of you for an amazing first half of the #BestYearYet. Without every cog in the wheel we would not be able to move in the positive direction that we have this year - it is truly a team effort and I am glad that ALL of you are on my team!
In a school of over 135 it can be hard to know everyone's name...Have you had a chance to look at the staff directory where pictures of our staff members can be located?
Click this link to see all of the awesome things our teachers have posted on twitter this week. Always remember to use the #MESrocks when posting to keep these items united!