Junior High #3
Board Approves Guaranteed Maximum Price for Junior High #3
The Board approved $70,865,268 for the construction of junior high #3. This price is $2.5 million under budget.
The construction savings is due to several factors:
- the land was purchased from the November 2015 Bond, and
- the market costs have flattened.
While the design and floor plan is new for MISD and features the following:
- learning stairs, similar to what is in our current intermediate schools,
- flex rooms for instruction,
- large outdoor eating area with a covered awning and fans, and
- artificial turf on the football field.
MISD water wells maintain our current junior high football fields, and for the new junior high, the water will be provided by Quadvest. Long term, there is a cost saving and helps with the maintenance and operation (M&O) of the budget.
The construction timeline is on track to meet the August 2025 opening.
Audubon Construction Update
During the July board meeting, the board approved a construction change order of $625,354 for Audubon Elementary, keeping the project under budget at approximately $400,000. The change order is from the Audubon Architectural Review Committee and includes the following:
- replacing chainlink fencing with rod iron,
- adding more metals to the exterior of the building,
- using brick pavers at the entrances to the school to fit with the design of the development, and,
- updating the screen covers for mechanical areas.
The foundation has been poured, and waiting on structural steel. The project is still on schedule for an opening in August 2024.