Bella Vista Staff Bulletin
11/17/2014 v.1 issue 12
Quote of the Week
Focus on Common Core Math Implementation
This week, teachers will participate in one of the following math-focused PD sessions:
- Scoring the Cumulative End of Unit (C-EOU) assessments (led by our Math Teacher Leader, Kim Thai)
- Analyzing the C-EOU Performance Task (led by OUSD TeamMath Coach Ali Schneider); teachers should have all performance tasks scored (and calibrated) in order to get the most out of this session
- Teachers should finish their Physical Science instruction this week so that the FOSS kits can be inventoried and brought to the auditorium by Friday, November 21.
- Community Resources for Science, a Berkeley-based non-profit organization, works to bring more science learning experiences to students. All OUSD teachers are eligible for free membership to CRS, visit crscience.org for more information. Here are some of the benefits:
- Visits to your classroom by graduate students and scientists (Mrs. Hansen can tell you about her experience!)
- Field trips for teachers (yep, you read it correctly)
- The Science Super Star Challenge, where teachers and their students can earn awards and prizes for their science involvement
- Cal Academy of Sciences has updated their website and there are many science resources for teachers.
Trimester 1 Parent Conferences
The Trimester 1 parent conferences will be held Wednesday, December 10, through Friday, December 12. Students will be released at 1:20 each day so that teachers can meet with parents, with a few exceptions:
- some conferences may need to be scheduled before school (8:00 – 8:15, for example), to accommodate parents’ schedules
- conferences for parents who speak a language that requires the District to provide a translator (such as Arabic) will be scheduled based on the availability of the translator
Later this week we will publish guidelines for teachers who need translation support from our bilingual staff members (remember: students can no longer serve as translators during parent conferences).
Rainy Day Procedures
With rain in the forecast for this week, it’s a good time to review the rainy day start-of-school procedures. Here are key points to remember:
- Per Section 10.2.10 of the OEA contract, teachers must be prepared to receive/pick up students on rainy days at 8:20.
- Students in grades TK-2 will be held in the cafeteria and 3rd-5th grades in the auditorium.
- Teachers on morning yard duty should report to the auditorium.
- During recess, teachers will receive coverage for restroom breaks.
During recess times on rainy days, plan quiet activities for your students to do in your classrooms. Students should not be wandering the hallways or visiting other classrooms.
Coordination of Services Team (COST) Achievements
According to District standards, a quality school:
- offers a coordinated and integrated system of academic and learning support services, and
- identifies at-risk students and intervenes early
The Coordination of Services Team is responsible for managing academic, behavior and attendance interventions for students.
School psychologist Zarah deVera is the COST chairperson, and convenes the team twice a month to discuss student progress and assign newly-referred students to services.
Here of some of COST’s achievements year-to-date:
- 71 students are receiving Tier 2 academic interventions provided by Mrs. Gibbons, Mrs. Gouguet, Ms. Seaberg or Ms. Yin
- 12 students are participating or will soon participate in therapist-led social skills groups
- 3 teachers have met with a behavior coach as they work to address the needs of students with chronic misbehavior
COST receives referrals from staff members as well as parents. Members of COST include: Mrs. Gibbons, Ms. Morente, Ms. Phillips, Ms. Seaberg, Ms. Vaca, Julie Leong from CHAA, Nurse Natasha Allen-Williams, Nina Francisco from EBAYC, Christina Gillen from Trumpet Behavioral Health and Sandra Simmons from the District’s Behavioral Health Unit.
- This month the assemblies will be held on Friday, November 21. Based on feedback from teachers, we are reviewing the assembly schedule and will announce any changes later this week.
- Student Council members will now be involved in the planning for the Student of the Month assemblies. We want the assemblies to be more meaningful for students, so who better to give input on how to do that than students themselves!
- Staff members can enter nominees now by going to the Student of the Month Google Sheet. Nominations are due on November 19.
REMINDER: Fall Assessments
- Scan sheets for all fall assessments for ELA, Math and Science for grades K-5 must be turned in to the office by noon on Friday, November 21.
| || || |
- The window for entering Trimester 1 Report Cards is open; visit the Google Drive folder for more information.
- Report card marks and comments are DUE BY Dec. 9 at 8:30 AM.
- Before leaving for Thanksgiving Break, please make sure that you bring home any classroom pets and clean out items in refrigerators. There will be power on campus during break, but no heat.
Mon., Nov. 17
LESSON PLANS DUE FROM: Chin, Cho, Chu, Gibbons, Lee, Prchlik, Quach, Smith, Takeuchi, Webb, Xiao and Yang
- Health Screenings for Grades K, 2 and 5 (Auditorium)
- 10:20 Student Council Meeting
Tues., Nov. 18
- FALL PICTURE DAY (Auditorium)
- 4:15 SSC (room 11)
Weds., Nov. 19
- STUDENT OF THE MONTH NOMINATIONS ARE DUE
- Movie Night Permission Slips are due
- 10:45 Fire Drill
- 2:15 Teacher Professional Learning – Common Core Math Implementation (room 11)
- 2:40 Off-Campus Teacher Professional Learning (TK & Special Ed)
Thurs., Nov. 20
- POPCORN PALACE FUNDRAISER ENDS
- Principals’ Meeting (Ms. Phillips is off campus)
Fri., Nov. 21
ALL SCAN SHEETS FOR FALL ASSESSMENTS ARE DUE BY NOON
ALL FOSS Science kits due in the auditoriumStudent of the Month Assemblies:
- 12:45 3rd-5th
- 1:25 TK/K
- 2:00 1st and 2nd
6:00 PTA Movie Night – How to Train Your Dragon 2
Mon., Dec. 1
LESSON PLANS DUE FROM: Chen, Garcia, Hansen, Morente, V. Nguyen, O’Brien, Rajanikanth, Schooling, Stone, Tai, Thai, Ung
- 3:00 PBIS Planning Team Meeting (room 11)
Tues., Dec. 2
SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOL IN-CLASS SURVEY DAY 1
Weds., Dec. 3
SAFE ROUTES TO SCHOOL IN-CLASS SURVEY DAY 2
- 2:15 Teacher Professional Learning – Preparation for Trimester 1 Report Cards and Parent Conferences
Thurs., Dec. 4
Fri., Dec. 5
LAST DAY OF TRIMESTER 1
Sat., Dec. 6
Saturday “Morning of Math”