St. Joseph Elementary School
Address: 249 Church Street, Mississauga, ON, L5M 1N1
School Phone Number: 905-826-4422
St. Joseph General Mailbox: St.JosephESMississaugaInfo@dpcdsb.org
Principal: A. Cavaliere
Administrative Assistant: I. Carabetta
Catholic School Council Chair: T. Prsa
Superintendent of Schools- Mississauga North: M. Lewis
Trustee Ward 6 & 11: L. del Rosario
Associate Pastor: Rev. P. Dobson, St. Joseph Parish
St. Joseph School Hours for the 2021-2022 school year are:
Morning entry: 8:30 a.m. - 8:45 a.m.
AM Recess: 10:09 a.m. - 10:24 a.m.
Lunch: 11:48 a.m. - 12:48 p.m.
PM Recess: 2:12 p.m. - 2:27 p.m.
Staggered Dismissal: 3:05 p.m. - 3:15 p.m.
Message from the Principal
It's hard to believe that September is behind us and we are already in October. With the many blessings, we have to be grateful for, we can share with you most genuinely how truly blessed we are to work at St. Joseph! We are continuously impressed with the amount of time and energy the staff put into making sure all students are successful and engaged. They are an incredibly talented group of teachers, ERWs, DECEs, Lunch Student Monitors, custodians, secretary and parish team who want nothing but the best for our students and families. We would like to welcome Ms. Fenn, our Grade 4 remote teacher as well as Violet Bortkiewicz, our Planning Time teacher, who will be working at St. Joseph on Thursdays and alternate Fridays.
We would like to thank the St. Joseph School community for a wonderful start to the school year. It has been a busy month and we are happy to share that students are settling into routines. Your partnership is very much appreciated and we look forward to working with you to ensure continued student success.
On Monday, October 11th is Thanksgiving! On behalf of the entire staff, we wish you a very happy and blessed Thanksgiving Day!
A Thanksgiving Prayer
Father in Heaven, Creator of all source of goodness and love,
Please look kindly upon us and receive our heartfelt gratitude in this time of giving thanks.
Thank you for all the graces and blessings you have bestowed upon us, spiritual and temporal: our faith and religious heritage, our food and shelter, our health, the love of one another, our family and friends.
Dear Father, in Your infinite generosity, please grant us continued graces and blessings throughout the coming year.
This we ask in the name of Jesus, Your Son and our Brother.
Thanksgiving Food Drive- October 4th to October 8th
October's Virtue of the Month is: Empathy
Together in Faith
God has given us the ability to form connections with each other- to live together. Empathy helps us to connect and live together in safe, caring and inclusive communities. Empathy refers to the ability to identify and feel other people's concerns. An empathetic person believes that we all share one Spirit; that we are many parts of one body because we are all created in the image and likeness of God.
What Empathetic People Do:
- Listen attentively
- Watch people's body language
- Notice and respond when someone is upset
- Can name their feelings
- Can see a situation from another person's point of view.
- Know that different people may feel differently about the same thing.
Let us now pray... .for the grace and strength to be people of empathy- people who can really identify with and feel the concerns of those around us.
St. Joseph Parish Information
Pastor: Fr. Paul Dobson
Associate Pastor: Fr. Michael Corpus
Deacons: George Jurenas & Lionel Gomes
Parish Staff: Ann Cavallin, Michele Mullins
Office Phone Number: 905-826-2766
Parish Email: stjosephMI@archtoronto.org
Parish Website: http://stjosephmi.archtoronto.org
We welcome back Fr. Paul Dobson and Fr. Michael Corpus from St. Joseph parish. We look forward to celebrating our Opening/Thanksgiving Mass virtually this year on Thursday, October 7th at 1:30 p.m.! We look forward to continuing to build a strong partnership with our home, school and parish.
Sacrament of Confirmation: On October 12th at 7:30 p.m., students in Grade 8 from St. Joseph who completed their Sacramental Preparation for Confirmation will be celebrating their Confirmation. Parents/guardians must register with the church. Students in Grade 7, 8 and 9 who have not completed their sacramental preparation will be able to register in December 2021. See flyer for details or check the parish website.
Sacrament of First Holy Communion: On October 17th at 2 p.m., students in Grade 3 and above who have received their sacramental preparation for Reconciliation and First Holy Communion, will be celebrating their First Holy Communion. Parents/guardians must register with the church. Students in Grade 2, 3 and above who have not completed their sacramental preparation will be able to register in December 2021. See flyer for details or check the parish website.
If you have any questions or concerns about your child's Sacraments, please contact St. Joseph Parish via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
Daily Active Screening and Verification
Daily Active Screening and Verification
Students will have two options to show they have taken and passed the assessment
- Students can take a screenshot on their phone or device and show it to their teacher
- Hold up a card with a green checkmark. Parents can print their own from the attachment or they can be available at the school for students. Please let us know if you require this option.
In the event that a student cannot provide verification that they have passed their daily self-screening, the parent/guardian will be contacted to verify that their child has passed the active screening, or they must make arrangements to pick up their child.
Please note, we currently have 6 bus runs assigned to our school. All eligible students who meet the distance criteria have been assigned a bus seat. Due to COVID-19 restrictions, all bus students must be assigned a bus seat. They will be required to sit with their sibling or peer in their cohort. Please remind your child to stay in their assigned seats.
Unfortunately, due to COVID-19 restrictions, NO courtesy seats will be available for the 2021-2022 school year.
The distance criteria for transportation eligibility is:
- more than 1.0 KM from the school for FDK to Grade 1
- more than 1.6 KM from the school for Grades 2 to 4
- more than 2.0 KM for Grades 5 to 8
If you would like to opt-out of bussing for this year, or AM/PM only, please contact the main office to obtain a form. Please note, you can reinstate bussing at any time by contacting the school or the STOPR at 905-890-6000.
Please check the STOPR website for bus route details for St. Joseph Elementary School
Kiss N' Ride
- Please drive to the end of the Kiss N' Ride to drop off your child. Students will then walk to the sidewalk and into the schoolyard.
- Drop off begins at 8:30 a.m. (Supervision begins)
- Parents should NOT be using the closest lane to the sidewalk. This is our bus lane and fire route.
- If you need to park, please park at the front of the school or the green P across the street. Please do not leave your vehicle unattended in the Kiss N' Ride, Bus Lanes.
Thank you in advance for your assistance in ensuring the safety of our students and staff!
Fire Drills and Lockdown Drills Practices
School Cash Online
We ask that all families take time to register for School Cash Online. This is the primary method of payment in all DPCDSB schools for school related events. As such, we will only be accepting payments through SchoolCashOnline. Please register in order to avoid missing deadlines and to ensure participation in school events and activities. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
To directly login or register, visit School Cash Online
What payment methods will be available? Parents/guardians will be able to pay online using Visa, Mastercard, and eCheque.
Student Monitor Position Available
Catholic School Council
Welcome to our 2021-2022 Catholic School Council Members:
- Chairperson: Tania P.
- Treasurer: Mackenzie N.
- Parish Representative: Mary Claire M.
- OAPCD Representative: Isabella F.
- Fundraising Representatives: Catharine O. & Chibuike U.
- Secretary: Katherine L.
- Voting Member: Allison R.
- Teaching Representative: Cindy B.
- Non-Teaching Representatives: Regina Z. & Leslie G.
This year, our Catholic School Council will be coordinating a "contactless" chocolate fundraiser. Please review the information below for more details.
Future Dates for our Catholic School Council meetings (all meetings will be held virtually via Zoom):
- Wednesday, November 17, 2021 at 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, April 20, 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, June 1, 2022 at 6:30 p.m.
All Catholic School Council meetings are open to all parents/guardians at any meetings this year. It is a great opportunity to attend these meetings in order to hear about some initiatives we are pursuing at St. Joseph and/or share your ideas. In addition, the approved minutes will be posted on our website within two weeks of approval.
World's Finest Chocolates St. Joseph Catholic School Council Fundraiser
Our online store is now open! When you receive your fundraising email, all you have to do is CLICK on the link, that was created for our fundraiser, and purchase a case of chocolates. Parents/guardians, you can send the fundraiser link to your friends and family and ask them to participate in our fundraiser also!
This fundraising campaign will help to pay for the 2021/2022 student agendas, Sacramental gifts for First Holy Communion and Confirmation, Grade 8 graduation gifts, FDK celebration of learning, Christmas at St. Joseph, guest speakers, and hopefully many other programs and activities for our students.
This year, we are offering a case of ALMOND chocolates and/or a case of MIXED CHOCOLATES. Each of our World's Finest Chocolate cases consist of 30- $3.00 delicious treats for friends, co-workers and relatives. All you have to do is click on the link to get started. We will ship orders directly to you, and your household will then sell the items you've ordered and keep the proceeds to recover the cost. World's Finest Chocolates will then provide the profit from your sales (the price you paid LESS the product & shipping costs) directly to St. Joseph. Please click on the link to get started.
GET STARTED: CLICK on the link below to access the Chocolate Fundraising Webstore.
Thank you for your generous support!
The St. Joseph Catholic School Council
Halloween Costume Considerations:
In an effort to create safe, caring and inclusive spaces within our schools, students and staff are asked to consider the impact their costume may have on others.
Students are proactively encouraged to select costumes that may not be considered offensive to someone's religion, culture, race, gender expression, ability, heritage or sexual orientation.
Everyone has the freedom to express themselves within reasonable limits. As a caring Catholic community, we must ensure that the costume choices of staff and students are not offensive to, or mocking of others.
Questions to consider:
- Does your costume mock or condescend historically oppressed people or cultures? Is the costume respectful of all or can it be viewed as culturally insensitive?
- Does your costume include face painting for the sole purpose of matching the skin colour of a specific person or people? Although face painting is safer than wearing a mask, particularly for young children, the potential to be offensive to others must be considered.
- Does your costume mock or condescend religions or religious beliefs? Use sacred objects/clothing of others' religions/cultures>
- Does your costume caricaturize marginalized groups or persons (historical or current) in a way that may serve to trivialize them?
Thank you for helping us to create a safe, caring and inclusive school community.
Mark Your Calendars
- October 4: Virtue of Faith Liturgy at 9:30 a.m. lead by our Grade 8 students
- October 4-8: Thanksgiving Food Drive
- October 5: First Fire Drill/World Teachers' Day/DPCDSB Empowering Women Day
- October 7: Virtual Opening/Thanksgiving Mass at 1:30 p.m.
- October 8: First Lockdown drill
- October 11: Thanksgiving Day: Enjoy time with your family and friends!
- October 12: Confirmation at St. Joseph Parish (Grade 8 & 9 students)
- October 17: First Holy Communion at St. Joseph Parish (Grade 3 & 4 students)
- October 19: Term 1 IEPs go home to parents/guardians
- October 20: Grade 8 Grad Photo Day/Welcome Superintendent Lewis to St. Joseph
- October 20: Bus Driver Appreciation Day
- October 21: Child Care Worker/ECE Day
- October 25: Mississauga North Catholic School Council Chairs Meeting at 7:45 p.m. (virtual)
- October 26-28: Grade 4 CCAT Testing
- October 28: Grade 4 Remote CCAT Testing
- November 9: Progress Reports/Communication of Learning-Initial Observations go home
- November 11: Remembrance Day Liturgy
- November 11: Progress Interviews (as needed for particular students)
- November 12: PA Day: No School for Students
- November 17: Catholic School Council Meeting at 6:30 p.m.
- November 30: School Photo Day