November 18, 2015
It was wonderful to see Grandparents and other family members eating with Jackson students today and doing some shopping at the Book Fair too!
We hope parents can join us this evening for a Parent Workshop - "Setting Limits and Following Through: Positive Discipline Techniques," from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m. The location of this workshop has changed to room D110 (second grade hall) due to the Book Fair in the Library.
Tomorrow night is another opportunity to shop at the Book Fair with extended hours, 5:00 - 8:00 pm, in conjunction with First Grade's presentation of their annual Turkey Show. Nothing will put you in the Thanksgiving spirit like the Turkey Show! The performance starts at 6:00 p.m. in the gym.
The Jackson Staff wants to wish you and your families a wonderful Thanksgiving and a safe and restful break!
2015 Jackson History Fair Results Are In!
Manage Communications from Jackson and PISD with InfoCenter
Plano ISD has implemented InfoCenter, allowing you to better control how you receive communications from your school or district. The following is a guide to help you get started.
What is InfoCenter?: InfoCenter provides access to all the messages and information sent by your organization. Accessible from any internet-enabled device, InfoCenter visually displays and organizes alerts, notifications, and attachments for easy review and reference. InfoCenter also allows you to customize how you receive communications from PISD (campus and district).
How do I sign up for InfoCenter?: Signing up for InfoCenter is easy. Using the email address that you have on file for your district (emergency card), follow these three steps:
1. Download the InfoCenter by SchoolMessenger app from the Apple App Store or Google Play Market. You can also access the InfoCenter web portal at https://infocenter.schoolmessenger.com/
2. Click the “New User” button, enter your email address, and create a password. An email will be sent to that address with a secure token. Note: If you receive an “already claimed by another user account” error message that means you’ve already created a SchoolMessenger account via another SchoolMessenger product, such as Contact Manager. Simply follow the “Return to login” link and login. Use the “Forgot your password” link if needed.
3. After authenticating via the token sent to your email, return to InfoCenter and sign in using your email and password.
What’s in InfoCenter?: Once you’ve created your account, the records associated with your email address will be linked automatically. You can then:
• View the records associated with your account.
• Review the last 30 days worth of messages for all your associated records.
• View your contact information, and configure how you’d like to receive notifications.
Important Things to Know:
• Regardless of how you choose to receive notifications, all messages associated with your records will be retained in the InfoCenter inbox for 30 days.
• You can opt into receiving Device Notifications (Push) under Notification Preferences. When choosing to receive Device Notifications, a badge or alert will appear when you receive new communications from Plano ISD.
Our provider, SchoolMessenger, makes the security and privacy of your data a top priority. As one of over 100 approved signatories to Student Privacy Pledge, you can feel ensured that your student’s information is safe and will never be sold, rented or shared.
NEWS FROM JACKSON PTA
This year the Jackson PTA will also send a monthly eNewsletter with additional information. To receive the eNewsletter, simply login to the site and accept the terms & conditions for electronic communications.
Jackson Science and Engineering Fair
It is time again for Jackson 4th and 5th graders to prepare for the Elementary Science and Engineering Fair!
If your child is interested in participating, a form will be coming home to be completed and returned to their teacher. When the completed interest form has been returned, your child will receive a Science and Engineering Fair Student Handbook with information and instructions. Students may begin working on their projects November 30, 2015.
Jackson Elementary's Science Fair will be held on Wednesday, January 13th, 2016. We want to encourage interested students to take advantage of this opportunity to exhibit their science and engineering knowledge!
Student Council Canned Food Drive, 11/9 - 12/2
Jackson's Student Council has adopted the Plano Santa's Canned Food Drive as an official service project this year. Knowing the Plano community is full of hungry families, our Jackson student leaders are sending a school-wide message loud and clear --
“YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!”
Every child can make a difference in the community by donating even one non-perishable food item. During this season of giving, please help Student Council achieve their goal of 3,000 food items collected and help families in our community at the same time.
Collection dates are November 9th - December 2nd. The items to be collected are non-perishable foods in:
- boxes (ex: spaghetti, mac & cheese, cereal),
- plastic bottles (ex: peanut butter),
- bags (rice or beans)
- just NO glass please!
November 16-20 - Jackson's Scholastic Book Fair is almost here! There will be great books suitable for all ages in every price range. What a great way to take care of the young readers on your holiday list!
You will also want to mark your calendar for Grandparents' Day on Wednesday, November 18, and Family Night on Thursday, November 19 (in conjunction with the Turkey Show). Please click on the link below for the Book Fair flyer with Book Fair hours and more information on these special events.
Book Fair Flyer - http://elist.pisd.edu/eNews/S_Jackson_Book_Fair_Flyer_2015.pdf
Wednesday, November 18 -
- Parent Workshop - "Setting Limits and Following Through: Positive Discipline Techniques." Please join other Jackson parents as a Family Education and Guidance facilitator discusses how to calmly foster cooperation through setting limits and finding appropriate consequences. This free parenting class will be held Wednesday, November 18th, from 6:00 - 7:00 p.m., in the Jackson Library. Refreshments will be served and childcare is available. Please click on link below for more details! Parenting Workshop Flyer - http://elist.pisd.edu/eNews/S_Jackson_11-18-15_Setting_Limits_ENG-SPAN.pdf
Thursday, November 19 -
- First Grade's annual (and famous) Turkey Show! Performance for students at 8:15 am and performance for family and friends at 6:00 p.m.
- Family Night at the Jackson Book Fair with extended evening shopping hours until 8:00 pm.
Friday, November 20 - Kindergarten's annual Turkey Day Feast, 12:30 - 1:30 pm in the Kindergarten hallway.
November 23-27 - Thanksgiving Holiday (Student/Teacher Holiday)
Thursday, December 3 - PTA Meeting, 6:00 - 7:00 pm
December 7-9 - Fifth Grade attends Collin County Adventure Camp
Monday, December 14 - No Monday tutoring.
Friday, December 18 -
- Winter Class Parties
- Report Card Day
- Elementary Early Release Day - school dismissed at 12:00 noon.
Mobile Computer Lab
PISD is offering free computer classes for parents that have children in PISD schools in their state-of-the-art Mobile Computer Lab. Classes will be held on the following Mondays from 6:00 – 8:00 p.m.:
November 2, 9, 16, 30 and December 7, and 14
The Mobile Computer lab will be located at the AgriLife RESEARCH Center, Texas A&M, 17360 Coit Rd., Dallas, TX 75252 (Coit and McCallum). If interested, please contact Jeannette Toledo at 469-752-2112 for registration information, See flyer for more details about programs offered.http://elist.pisd.edu/eNews/S_Mobile_Computer_Lab_Flyer_2015-16_English_and_Spanish.pdf
Planoettes Fundraiser at "Raising Cane's"
Let Cane's do the cooking while supporting the Planoettes at the same time! Mention this fundraiser at the register on Wednesday, November 18th, from 10 am to 10 pm and Cane's will donate 15% of the event day sales back to the Planoettes! Located at: 1000 W. 15th Street Plano,TX 75075.
**Relatives in town for the Thanksgiving holiday and you’re looking for something fun to do?**
Join Plano ISD Education Foundation and Plano ISD Council of PTAs at the PISD Night with the Texas Legends! We'll be "Hooping it Up" and "Backing the Future of our Children" starting at 7:00 pm at the Texas Legends Basketball Arena in Frisco. Tickets are only $10 per person.
Click here to purchase tickets.
The Plano ISD Education Foundation and the Plano ISD Council of PTAs have joined forces for a fun event with the Texas Legends Basketball Team, the D League for the Dallas Mavericks. Purchase a ticket and 100% of the proceeds benefit Plano ISD! You can choose which school PTA you wish to support with your purchase.
Go to the Texas Legends website and scroll down to get your tickets or click above!