Secondary ELAR Updates
Keeping You Informed
In This Issue:
- STAAR Retest Supplemental Resources
- Semester Assessment (SA) Update
- 2015 Summer Reading Information
- Sample Summer Reading Projects
- Summer Curriculum/SchoolNet Opportunities
- Summer PD Opportunities at Region 10
STAAR Retest Supplemental Resources
- Released STAAR exams and answer keys (to be used through Think Aloud and Read Alouds with small numbers of students as modeled test-taking and annotation practice)
- Holt Level Up Tutorials and Student Practice (instructions below; creating a teacher login also below)
- Project Share OnTRACK ELA 8 Lessons
- Project Share OnTRACK English I Lessons
- Project Share OnTRACK English II Lessons
- Also at my.hrw.com, teachers can find:
- Graphic Organizers to scaffold reading
- Test-taking handbook (through the Student Resources link)
Holt Level UP Tutorials and Student Practice Access
- Login to my.hrw.com
- Click on Student Resources (towards the bottom of the page)
- Next click the + next to Assessment (the bottom right side of the page)
- Click on Level Up Tutorials
- From here you choose the area of need from the drop down menu and then choose from the specific tutorials shown
- Within each module, you will have access to a tutorial and a practice (buttons on the top right of the page)
Semester Assessment Update
2015 Summer Reading Information
Central Administration Will:
- Make available the recommended book lists students will be provided from which to choose their summer reading book/s
- Lists were created using: Bluebonnet Award Winners, Newberry Award Winners and Honorees, Recommended AP Reading Lists, and YALSA College Ready Booklists.
- Make sample summer reading projects available for teachers to review (see below)
*GISD Recommended Reading list is now posted on GarlandISD.net.
Campus Administration Will Determine:
- Which Language Arts courses will require summer reading (No reading courses will require summer reading.)
- How many books students will read
- What type of assignment students will complete using the novel choice
*All campus-specific information will be posted on individual campus websites. The recommended reading lists provided by Central Administration can also be posted on individual campus websites.
*Campuses will only be required to purchase Summer Reading novels for those students in need. Any student who is unable to acquire the assigned novel/s on their own will be provided a campus-purchased novel to be used over the summer for all Summer Reading assignments.
Sample Summer Reading Projects
- The Bio Cube: http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/student-interactives/cube-30057.html?tab=3#tabs
- ABC Book: http://www.readwritethink.org/classroom-resources/student-interactives/alphabet-organizer-30035.html?tab=5#tabs
- Creating Book Jackets: https://garlandisd.schoolnet.com/Align/MaterialDetail.aspx?content_id=c193d705-7b12-4d84-aa84-59d99088cb38&referrer=~%2FAlign%2FSearchHome.aspx
- Several Projects Incorporating Technology: http://www.brighthubeducation.com/summer-learning-activities-ideas/78137-nine-creative-summer-reading-project-ideas/
- Make a Comic Strip/Cartoon Using Technology: http://www.toondoo.com
Summer Curriculum/SchoolNet Opportunities
- We will meet at a central location (TBD) within GISD.
- Expected meeting dates are June 10-11, June 15-18, and June 22-25.
- We need 10-14 teachers total.
More details to follow. (Yes, you will be paid!)
Summer PD Opportunities at Region 10
Click above to register for any number of sessions. Registration opens Friday, May 1!