Chandler Unified School District
Weekly News Update 1-23-2023
Basha AMS Student Wins the District Spelling Bee
Congratulations, Opal Mishra! Opal is a sixth grader at Basha Accelerated Middle School, and she is the winner of the CUSD spelling bee held on Wednesday, January 18. Opal won the Spelling Bee with the word "dodecahedron". She also spelled "neonatology" and "Belgravia" to reach the top. Regina Rascon, a seventh grader from Bogle Junior High School finished runner-up.
The top 10 spellers from the district will advance to the regional bee on Feb 15. Joining Opal and Regina at the regional bee will be these great spellers:
In order by school:
Venkata Suchith Nathani – Arizona College Prep Middle School
Kaiya Johnston – Casteel High School
Jieyi Chang – CTA Goodman Elementary
Kamryn Redish – Jacobson Elementary
Sean Kirkham – Knox Gifted Academy
Joshua Hanson – Payne Junior High School
Nolan Kim – Santan Junior High
Priya Konduru – Weinberg Gifted Academy
Congratulations Perry High School
These amazing student-athletes secured the title during competition over the weekend.
We also want to celebrate Perry Pom! The team was named AIA State Runners Up and winners of the Be Bold and Outstanding Artistry awards.
Happy Lunar New Year!
Happy Lunar New Year from CUSD! We wish you peace, happiness, and luck in the new year.
Pictured: Tarwater Elementary School, one of our Mandarin Dual Language Immersion schools, performed at the Chandler Center for the Arts during a 2023 New Year Celebration.
Upcoming Open Houses
Last call for CEF Scholarship Applications
Chandler Education Foundation hosts scholarships offered by local families and businesses who are invested in lifelong learning. Donor scholarship applications for graduating CUSD seniors close on February 1, 2023. Students are encouraged to apply now in order to allow time for any additional documentation requested by the donor. Visit the Chandler Education Foundation’s website for additional.
Student, School, & Staff Success
Thirteen CUSD Students Win Awards in the Creative Expression Contest
For the writing contest:
2. Carol Zhang – Inclusiveness Throughout Time – Arizona College Prep Middle School
3. Aditri Patra – Embracing our Differences to Build a Connected Community – Weinberg Gifted Academy
1. Skylar Best – The Divided States of America – Hamilton High
2. Kenneth Su – Diversity is a Disease and Inclusivity is the Cure – Hamilton High
Casteel "Colture Day" Inspires Students
Casteel High School celebrated foreign exchange students, diversity clubs, and cultures with a COLTure Day Assembly. Great job setting an example of a Global Citizen from our Portrait of a Learner initiative! #WeAreChandlerUnified
Jacobson Elementary Welcomes City Leaders
Jacobson student leaders were excited to welcome city leaders to campus. Chandler Mayor, Kevin Hartke and Chandler City Manager, Mr. Josh Wright paid a visit with the JETS student government club this week.
Auxier Elementary Student Artwork Chosen for Casteel Choir Shirt
Perry Dancers Win First Place
Basha High School News Crew earns National Honors
The Basha Bear News (BBN) crew Skylar Meister, Charlie Murphy, Timothy Seale and Antonio Miele placed third in the Student Television Networks 2022 Fall Nationals! The BBN team competed against other students around the country in the Sports Story category which featured Basha Football's very own James Durand who has committed to continue with athletic and academic career at the University of Wisconsin. The team was given the prompt and had less that 5 days to record, write and edit the story using the skills they learn in their Multi-Media and Film class. Click here for a link to their story.
Fifth Graders at Elementary Connect Design Slides
CUSD BRAGS - HONORS, AWARDS AND SPECIAL PROGRAMS
Do you want to see your school, program or students featured?
There are a TON of great things going on in our schools -- honors, awards, community service projects, special programs we offer and accomplishments. Click below to spread the word, and to see the things we're doing. Check out our BRAGS | BRAG about our schools
CUSD Nutrition offers A La Carte Snacks
Elementary parents, did you know that we sell à la carte snacks in addition to the nutritious meals that we serve? Whether your child is in a growth spurt, participating in extra-curricular activities, or you just want to treat them, we have snack-time covered! Check out our à la carte list to see all that we have to offer. Students can pay for à la carte items with cash or their student account. If you would like to limit the number of snacks they can purchase, we can put a note on their student account – just call your kitchen manager and they will be able to help! We hope to see your child in our cafeteria soon!
Community Education Updates
Looking for your tax statement for 2022?
As January wraps up and you start to collect documents to do your taxes, don’t forget about your tax statement from Community Education! Looking for your tax statement for 2022?
1. Login to your Eleyo account at www.cusd80.ce.eleyo.com
2. Click the drop-down tab on the upper right hand corner: "Explore All Programs"
3. Choose the second box on the right: "Account #xxxx"
4. A few tabs down click "Download Tax Information"
Spring & Summer Camp Is Filling Up!
Kids Express Spring Break Camp and Kids Express Summer Break Camp already have some dates that are full! Kids Express Spring Break Camp is FULL on March 27 at Navarrete Elementary and CTA Independence. Kids Express Summer Break Camp is FULL on June 6, June 13, July 12, and July 13 at Rice Elementary.
Don’t delay! Register for Spring Break Camp and register for Kids Express Summer Break Camp by scrolling to the bottom and clicking “Non School Days.”
Questions? Contact Community Education at 480-224-3900 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Opt In for Text Updates
Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show Art Contest
The Arabian Horse Association of Arizona is hosting the 68th Annual Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show, February 16-26, 2023. The 18th Annual Art contest will be open to kindergarten through Grade 7 & older. Students are invited to submit their interpretations of "Arabian Horses." Deadline for entries is February 6.
Each entry received will receive a t-shirt, two free one day passes for the entrants' parents to attend and two for one tickets to invite family and friends to the Scottsdale Arabian Horse Show. Please circle the size of the t-shirt on the entry form. Please see the Rules and Regulations for more information.
1. Entries submitted will be judged in the following age categories:
- Grade 1
- Grade 2
- Grade 3
- Grade 4
- Grade 5
- Grade 6
- Grades 7 & older
2. An Arabian horse must be depicted in each entry.
3. Only ONE entry per child.
4. Submitted entries MUST be matted with white mat board.
If you have questions or would like more information, please contact the Arabian Horse Association of Arizona at (480) 515-1500.
Important upcoming Dates
- January 23: Kindergarten open house: CTA & Dual campuses: 5:30 p.m.
- January 24: Willis Junior High Open House, 6-7 p.m. and Santan Junior High Open House, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- January 26: Bogle Junior High Open House, 6-8 p.m. and Andersen Junior High Family Night, 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- January 30: Kindergarten open house: Classic campuses: 5:30 p.m.
- February 2: Single parenting workshop at Frye Elementary, 5-7 p.m.. Presented by Child Crisis Arizona & Chandler Unified School District. Pre-register online at register.communitypass.net/ChildCrisisArizona
- February 7: Junior High Early Release for conferences: Arizona College Prep Middle School, Payne Junior High, Willis Junior High, and Hill Learning Academy
- February 9: Junior High Early Release for conferences: Andersen Junior High, Bogle Junior High, Santan Junior High, and Casteel Junior High (7-8)
CUSD Governing Board Meetings
Learn more about how to register here.
Notice of Nondiscrimination:
CONNECT WITH US ON SOCIAL MEDIA
We invite all families and the community to keep up to date about Chandler Unified by liking, following and subscribing below!
Chandler Unified School District