Oakview's Latest News, Events, Activities, & Opportunities
Safety is a community effort and parents are a vital part of that community. Please read and follow the Top 10 School Safety Tips for Parents below. For more information, check out our OES website for the Parent Friendly Safety Plan. Any further questions can be directed to our Administrative Assistant, Jessica Preisig.
Top 10 School Safety Tips for Parents
- Sign in at the front office and wear a nametag while on campus. Also, sign out in the office when you leave.
- When visiting campus, please stick with your stated business. An adult roaming the building causes alarm. An unannounced visit to your child's classroom causes disruption and is not permitted.
- Always complete school forms in their entirety and keep the front office and teacher updated with new phone numbers, home addresses, and email addresses.
- Report suspicious behavior to administration immediately, including a person who appears agitated, angry, or out of sorts.
- If hearing on the radio or television that there is an evacuation at Oakview Elementary, don't drive to the campus. Chances are your children will be on their way to an evacuation site at Brookwood Church.
- Always send a note to the teacher or call the office if there is a change in your child's afternoon transportation.
- Follow all traffic rules when driving to and from the school campus. Pay particular attention to directional signage and our NO CELL PHONE ZONE policy.
- Remember that the campus will be under the command of law enforcement or the fire department during certain types of emergencies. School officials will yield to their leadership.
- Know the school rules. Read the Oakview Student-Parent Handbook cover to cover. The handbook is located on the Oakview website.
- If on campus during an emergency, follow closely the directions given by faculty and staff. They have been trained to handle emergencies and will need your cooperation during a stressful time.
Thank you for continuing to help the OES school campus stay safe at all times!
Philip Reavis, Ph.D
School Visitor and Volunteer Guidelines
Please note that Greenville County Schools has implemented additional security checks for school volunteers. ALL volunteers must submit an online application to the district and receive clearance from the district before volunteering at any school or chaperoning any school field trip. You may find more information, as well as the application, here. Please allow up to 2 weeks for the approval process.
The Counselors' Corner
We will visit your child's class each month for a Classroom Connection and will teach about Social and Emotional Learning. Your child will learn about self-awareness, self-management, social-awareness, relationship skills, and responsible decision making. Success in these areas will help your child throughout school and in the working world.
In addition, we will work with individuals and small groups of students. Please contact us with any concerns that you may have.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve your students!
Google Slide Features Scavenger Hunt
Students in third through fifth grade are working with Mrs. Holly Rushton, technology specialist, to learn about the different features found in Google Slides.
Please join us for Curriculum Night on Thursday, September 13th!
We all invite all families to join us for Curriculum Night! There are two sessions for you to choose to attend. Teachers will present information regarding curriculum and other important information. Please note the following details regarding time of events:
- 5:00 p.m. Session 1, in your child's classroom
- 6:00 p.m. General PTA Meeting
- 6:30 p.m. ESOL Family Meeting
- 6:45 p.m. Session 2, in your child's classroom
- 7:30 p.m. Challenge Meeting
ESOL Family Meet & Greet @ 6:30 p.m.
- Tuesday, September 11: PTA Spirit Night @ Twisted Cup
- Thursday, September 13: Curriculum Night Events
Week of September 17
- Monday, Sept. 17: 1st Quarter Progress Reports
Online Watch D.O.G.S. kickoff @ 6 p.m.
SIC Meeting @ 9 a.m.
- Thursday, Sept. 20: Fall Pictures
K-2nd Parent Reading Workshops (choose from 12:00-1:00 or 6:00-7:00) in the media center
PTA Spirit Night @ Woodruff Rd. Chick-fil-A
- Saturday, Sept. 22: Fall Garden Saturday Event @ 9:00 a.m.
Oakview's Lunch Menu can be found here
Reading Workshop for Parents of Kindergarten to 2nd Grade Students
Fall Pictures on September 20th!
Read Your Way to the Big Game contest!
Forms are due to your homeroom teacher by Friday, November 2nd!
Schools with at least 70% student participation will also be entered to win one of two $2000 school library grants. Five participating teachers will be randomly selected to win $500 for their classroom!.
Let's get to reading!
Box Tops Announcements
Last chance to earn a bonus $5 for Oakview through the Box Tops Bonus App
is September 10, 2018!
Thanks to General Mills and Walmart, when you buy five Box Tops for Education products between now and September 10th AND scan your receipt with the Box Tops Bonus App, you automatically earn 50 Box Tops--that's $5 for our school!
For more information visit- https://www.boxtopswm.com/
To download the Box Tops Bonus App visit- https://www.boxtops4education.com/bonusapp
Fall Box Tops Collection Drive
Please send in all clipped Box Tops by Monday, October 15th!
- Check the date--All Box Tops have an expiration date. We have to throw away any expired Box Tops, as well as any with the date cut off!
- Please make sure to cut off ALL excess packaging. Box Tops should be clipped right on the boxed line!
- Package and label the clipped Box Tops in a sealed baggie or envelope, clearly labeled with the teacher's name and grade. Box Tops are counted by classroom for contest prizes so this step is extra important!
**Earn the chance to double our school's fall earnings by clicking this link once a day between August 31 and September 30th!
Make a POSITIVE Connection by Joining PTA!
If you have yet to purchase your memberships or want to purchase more, click here to purchase online! Help Oakview PTA reach 100% participation by sending in as many $5.00 PTA memberships as you want!
Each student in the FIRST CLASS in each grade level to reach 100% PTA membership will be treated to a School Store Shopping Reward. EVERY CLASS that reaches 100% membership will receive extra recess!
Our School Store Needs Your Help!
Volunteer shifts are available every Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday from 7:25 to 7:55 a.m. Click here to signup today!
Boosterthon Fun Run!
The Boosterthon Fun Run is a 9-day program that kicks off with a Pep Rally on Tuesday, September 25 where the children will hear about his year's theme, "Mind Spark Mystery Lab", and learn how to start collecting pledges. Parents, grandparents, neighbors, friends, and family can pledge a "per lap" amount or a "flat donation" (children usually run between 30 and 3 laps).
The actual Fun Run will take place on Thursday, October 4th when all of the students will complete their laps in a fun, supportive atmosphere cheered on by parents and teachers!
All families are invited to come out and cheer on your student at the Fun Run--thank you for your support!
8:20 - Kindergarten & 1st Grades
9:35 - 2nd & 3rd Grades
1:00 - 4th & 5th COLOR run
For more information, visit www.Boosterthon.com.
Spirit Night @ Twisted Cup
September 11th from 2:30 to 8:30 p.m
Spirit Night @ Chick-Fil-A on Woodruff Rd.
September 20 from 5:00 to 8:00 p.m.
Boostherthon Fun Run
Kickoff September 25
Fun Run October 4th