Riverview Eagles Soar!
Important Information from our Principal
Hello Riverview Families,
It’s been a wonderful re-opening to school this fall as we strive to return to normalcy - or as close to it as possible - for our students. I’m so proud of how quickly they have adjusted into the new routine of full-time learning at Riverview. They’re amazing, and I’m looking forward to seeing them grow as students, learners, and leaders this year.
Derek Larsen, Principal
As we rapidly approach the second half of October, I wanted to share a few items that are just ahead for Riverview. In the last newsletter I stated Curriculum Night would be shared by classroom teachers via recorded videos. Our teachers did a tremendous job with this and we’re excited to hear your feedback. Teacher videos will be available beginning today, Thursday, 10/14, at 4:00pm. You can view these messages tonight or at any time in the coming days that works best with your schedules. I also want to thank our librarian, Shaelynn Bates, for coordinating the videos and posting them to our YouTube site. Please use the following link:
Riverview will not have costumes for Halloween this year. Instead, classrooms will celebrate harvest and/or fall through art, science experiments, and other fun activities. The focus will be activities over food and treats. The decision to move away from costumes was made several years ago at Riverview, and the building leadership team agreed that this is still the best direction moving forward for many reasons.. but most importantly for the equity of our students. As with any other day, classroom activities will comply with Covid protection parameters, masking requirements, and 3-foot distancing.
Smarter Balanced Assessments (SBA)
Now that we are back in school and statewide assessments were “paused” for spring testing in 2020 and 2021, schools in Washington are going to give the Smarter Balanced Assessment to our 4th, 5th, and 6th grade students for English Language Arts (ELA) and Math. These assessments are multiple choice and will be a little over an hour long. This assessment will not provide individual student reports because it is not intended to be an assessment of individual student learning. Instead, it will help teachers work together to help our students recover from having their learning disrupted over the last two years.
Students in grades 4-6 will be taking the SBA during the mornings of October 25 and 26 in ELA and Math. Sixth grade will also take the Science test on Wednesday, October 27th. Parent letters were mailed home on Tuesday to families with children who will take the SBA this fall.
IMPORTANT 2021-2022 SCHOOL YEAR DATES
- Mon-Wed, November 8-10, 2021 - Elementary Conference Half-day Early Release -11:45am
- Thursday, November 11, 2021 - Veterans Day (No School)
- Friday, November 12, 2021 - Half-day Early Release - 11:45am
- Wednesday, November 24, 2021 - Half-day Early Release - 11:45am
- Thursday, November 25-Friday, November 26, 2021 - Thanksgiving Break (No School)
- Friday, December 17, 2021 - Half-day Early Release - 11:45am
- Monday, December 20-Friday, December 31, 2021 - Winter Break (No School)
- Monday, January 17, 2022 - Martin Luther King Jr. Day (No School)
- Friday, February 18-Monday, February 21, 2022 - Mid-Winter Break (No School)
- Monday, April 4-Friday, April 8, 2022 - Spring Break (No School)
- Monday, May 30, 2022 - Memorial Day (No School)
It’s The Great Pumpkin Race Charlie Brown!
What: Children will run the following distances based on grade level:
Grades 1 & 2 - 800m; Grades 3 & 4 - 1200m; Grades 5 & 6 - 1600m.
When: The race will be held on October 19th, 2021. Each race will be held at the following times:
1st Grade @ 4:00 p.m.
2nd Grade @ 4:20 p.m.
3rd Grade @ 4:40 p.m.
4th Grade @ 5:00 p.m.
5th Grade @ 5:20 p.m.
6th Grade @ 5:40 p.m
Where: The races will be at Veterans Memorial Stadium at Snohomish High School.
Cost: Minimum of two cans of food to benefit the Snohomish Food Bank.
Prizes: A "pumpkin trophy" will be awarded to the top 3 finishers, male & female, in each grade. 🎃 For more information on how to register, get directions, or to ask questions, please visit our website: https://snohopumpkinrun.wordpress.com/
Possible transportation impacts
The district is preparing for the possible impact that our regional and state-wide labor shortage may have upon our bus driver workforce. The possible shortage combined with normal absences due to illness and personal leave could create a situation where bus routes would have to be altered.
Should we learn of an instance where we are unable to drive a route, or a specific route pick-up and drop-off times are delayed, the school district or your school will contact impacted families as soon as we are able through our School Messenger communication system (phone and email).
It is difficult to give a warning, not knowing if a situation is going to occur, or even when it could occur. However, we deemed it necessary to share the concerns as we plan for all possible scenarios in the future. We appreciate your patience and understanding. Please know we are actively training and recruiting bus drivers and have several individuals in that process who will soon be well trained to transport our students.
If you or someone you know would be interested in becoming a bus driver, please have them contact us at 360-563-3525. We are currently paying $25.47 per hour (paid training available) plus bonus.
Attendance Line: 360-563-4375
A child's daily, on-time attendance is important to his/her success in school. Did you know that as early as elementary school, students who miss just two days per month (which amounts to 18 or more days in a school year) are more likely to fall behind and less likely to graduate high school?
How to report your child’s absence
- An absence will be considered excused when a written note or phone call is received from a parent or legal guardian to the school attendance line/office within 48 hours of the absence. When reporting an absence, either in writing or by telephone, please leave the following information:
- Student name and grade level
- Dates and times of absence
- Reason for absence
- Parents may also notify the school of a child’s absence through Skyward/Family Access. Be sure you are using your parent/guardian login. Go to the Attendance tab of the portal and input your child’s absence information under the Absence Request section.
Book Fair is coming, October 18-22! This will be a student only fair and your student(s) will have time to browse and shop during the week. Please visit our homepage for more information, or contact Mrs. Bates with questions. (email@example.com)
For your convenience, we will be using the eWallet system this Book Fair. This allows you to create an account, load money and have your student shop. This eliminates the need to send cash with your student. More information can be found through the Book Fair link above.
Dear Riverview Elementary Parents,
Today we are kicking off our Charleston Wrap opportunity! Please note that this is more for your convenience as we had a lot of interest from Riverview parents, so we decided to offer this again this year!
With the money raised from this opportunity we will continue to offer teacher grants and stipends as well as replenish recess equipment.
This will be open from 10/11/2021 to 10/29/2021 - so get online and register TODAY!
Here are the Registration Steps:
1) Please visit registercw.com to register today! Use our ORGANIZATION ID 19243 to register! One registration per family.
2) Send 10 unique and valid shopping email invites to your friends & family using our invite tool at registration.
3) Once you've sent 10 emails, a gift card will be emailed to you for your FREE roll of Charleston Wrap®’s UltraHeavy™ gift wrap with the purchase of any item.
In addition to awarding the FREE roll of wrap, we will also award a Charleston Wrap® Gift Card to parents who have rallied others to support the fundraiser! We'll award these Gift Cards on the last day of our sale (10/29/2021) for Parent Appreciation Day. We will automatically email you a gift card for the highest level achieved!
* Any Parent with 5 supporters will receive a gift card for $10 off any purchase of $50 or more.
* Any Parent with 10 supporters will receive a gift card for $25 off any purchase of $50 or more.
* Any Parent with 20 supporters will receive a gift card for $50 off! Your $50 order is FREE!
*Gift Cards expire in April of next year and cannot be combined with any other offer. Orders may be subject to shipping and tax.
PRO TIP: The more email invites you send, the more supporters we'll get! So, break out your email contact list, share on social media, and help spread the word!
Will you take a few minutes and register now at registercw.com?
Thank you so much for your support!
Riverview Elementary PTO
Questions about registration? Call CW Customer Support at 1-866-395-2926
Do you have a bachelor's degree? Be a substitute teacher!
The Snohomish School District is hiring emergency substitute teachers. Did you know you can become and emergency substitute if you hold a bachelor’s degree or higher? This position $185 to $260 per day (depends on duration of assignment) applicant must have a minimum of a bachelor’s degree and must pass STEDI subskills test.
Contact Holli Fedewa in Human Resource Services/Guest Teaching for more information at 360-563-7247.
SCHOOL START/DISMISSAL TIMES
Monday through Thursday: 8:35am - 3:15pm
Friday: 8:35am - 1:15pm
Half day early release: 8:35am - 11:45am
Monday-Friday 8:00am - 4:00pm
**If you need to make changes to your child's dismissal procedure, please call the office by 2:30pm M-Th, and 12:30pm on Friday. 360-563-4375
District-approved community fliers
- Camp Mariposa Daycamp
- Crossview Tutoring
- Everett Rowing Association Fall 2021 Registration
- Fall 2021 TOPSoccer Season
- Girl Scouts of Western Washington
- Girls Lacrosse Registration Snolax
- Grizzlies Select Basketball Association
- Panthers Youth Rugby Club Registration
- PAWS Virtual Youth Programs
- Snohomish for Equity Youth Committee Application
- Strategic Kids Chess
- Strategic Kids LEGO Adventures
- Taekwondo for Kids
- Teen Storytellers Project - Free Fall Filmmaking Classes
- VFW Post 921 2021-2022 Teacher of the Year
- VFW Post 921 2021-2022 Student Essay Contest
Fliers are typically posted on Tuesdays during the months of August through June. For additional flier program details and/or to complete a request for distribution, please click here.
The Snohomish School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employees have been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights Coordinator, Title IX Coordinator and ADA – Darryl Pernat, 1601 Avenue D, Snohomish, WA 98290, 360-563-7285, firstname.lastname@example.org; Section 504 Coordinator and Harassment, Intimidation and Bullying – Shawn Stevenson, 1601 Avenue D, Snohomish, WA 98290, 360-563-7282, email@example.com.