An engineering challenge for second grade
- Discuss with students the chart paper that shows the directions for the activity. This is a team activity, so they will need to be split into groups of three.
- Teams will ultimately design and engineer a perch to help harry (pom-pom) stay safe, using the engineering design process.
- They will brainstorm and sketch as a team for a MINIMUM of 10 minutes BEFORE seeing materials.
- You will then give each team their bag of materials. They will design a safe perch for Harry, making sure to follow the guidelines listed on the chart paper you should have already reviewed with students.
- ONCE EACH TEAM COMPLETES THEIR PERCH, YOU WILL GIVE THEM HARRY (POM-POM) to test it out. They can then make modifications if necessary.
- Each team member will rate one another's teamwork skills once they have built a successful perch.
- Tape a piece of masking tape to the perch with team name written on it.
- Once the perch is built, take a picture of it and email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Place the finished perches on your designated table.
- bag of materials: pipe cleaners, masking tape, muffin liners, foil, and index cards
- copy paper