Postponing tasks we don't like is normal and usually harmless.
Some of us try to fool ourselves convincing ourselves that we work best under pressure.
Sometimes, when we let the tasks become so overwhelming that we do nothing at all!
WHY DO WE PROCRASTINATE??
There are many reasons why people procrastinate. Here is a list of some of the reasons:
1. Poor time management
This is often associated with a distorted sense of the time available.
2. Unable to prioritize
3. There are too many tasks to accomplish during the same time frame
4. Anxiety about the task
This may lead one to spend more time worrying about the task at hand instead of doing
5. Difficulty concentrating
6. Not know exactly what is required
7. Feeling overwhelmed by the task(s) at hand
8. Concern about failing or not meeting one's own standards
9. Fear of success and its possible consequences
10. One may be a perfectionist
This is often associated with unrealistic standards
11. Having negative feelings
Hearing that little inner voice saying things such as "I'm stupid" or "nothing goes
right for me".
12. Having all-or-nothing thinking, where one setback is seen as a total catastrophe
13. Being bored by the task
14. Never having learned how to work or sort out problems while at school or living at
15. Avoidance of things which are liked or disliked
OTHER TIPS YOU MAY WANT TO TRY:
Fear of rejection, embarrassment, or disappointment or disapproval.
Sometimes even fear of discovery (going to the doctor) or realizing success in an area can prevent us from moving forward.
2. Stop trying to be perfect - doing something is better than doing nothing at all
3. Think progressively - by the time procrastination has gotten us in trouble, the tasks may have become insurmountable. Beating procrastination does not happen overnight!
4. Use odd time as an ally - ten minutes while waiting for a friend or a ride can be used to work on a part of a task