Making Money Off You
How is Facebook and other social media sites making money?
Facebook, Twitter, Snap Chat, Instagram, My Space, the list goes on and on and on. There are currently 1 billion people on Facebook, 8.7% of those are fake. There are currently 194 well known social media sites and the number keeps growing, but how are these sites really making money off of you? You might say that Facebook sells Facebook Credits. In reality, Facebook Credits only account for 5% of their yearly income. How are they really get their money?
- When you search for something on social media sites or Google, you are being tracked!
- Companies pay social media sites to get personal info about you!
- When searching for the same thing on Google from two different computers, you could get two completely different list of results based on what you searched in the past!
TED Talks: What FACEBOOK And GOOGLE Are Hiding From The World
Companies also believe you are more likely to click on an ad if you see someone you know.
Husband Sees Wife on Facebook Dating Ad
How can I prevent these things from happening?
- First, clear cookies and web history often. This will give you a clear search every time.
- You can also use your Privacy settings to request that they do not sell your data.
- If you do not want to get filtered results, reputation.com is a great way to clean up your account. Reputation.com will also try to track you so you will know what the other companies are seeing.