Lead Library Media Coordinator - Davidson County Schools
I have worked for Davidson County Schools in school libraries since 2009. I have a master's in library science as well as teaching certificates in K-6, ESL, school library K-12, and district library supervision.
DESTINY Online Library Catalog
- District admin for the online library catalog
- Manage student and staff accounts
- Troubleshoot issues with media coordinators
- Train on new features
I use DESTINY to run collection analysis and collect data for school library collections.
Discovery Education District Administrator
- Maintain student and staff accounts
- Train on Discovery Techbooks (science K-12, social studies 6-8 and math 6-8)
- Troubleshoot DE streaming issues
After holding 2 district level cohorts of Discovery Education in spring 2016 and 2017 at the district level (more than 40 participants), I am working with a number of media coordinators to facilitate school based cohorts of DEN Ambassadors this fall. The focus of the #DENAmb program is to enable teachers to integrate digital media and classroom strategies into their instruction. This program is suitable for all content areas and grade levels.
Professional Development for Media Coordinators
Scheduled PD for this year:
- October 30th - we will be covering DESTINY 15.0, new features in Discovery Education, World Book Online and Advocacy for school library programs
- January 22nd - we will be learning about the newest professional standards from AASL (to be released Nov. 2017)
- April 16th - NC DLMI training
Here is the Google Slide from our most recent PD this past June:
Social Media & Website
I also have worked as tech support for the district and school websites. I field troubleshooting calls, work with media coordinators in small groups and help to maintain websites.
I maintain the technology department handbook:
NC Digital Learning and Media Inventory
Battle of the Books
- Secure membership for SLMCs to be eligible to compete in regional BOB competitions
- Arrange for www.mybobteam.com memberships for all elem & middle schools
- Plan events for spring
- Organize volunteers
- Print certificates and programs
- Organize questions
- Arrange all materials for judges, moderators, timekeepers, etc.
- Set up AV equipment
- Escort winning teams to district competitions and volunteer
PLCs for SLMCs
- HS media coordinators meet almost monthly
- MS quarterly
- ES 6 times a year
I also meet one-on-one with new media coordinators as several times a year each and with veteran media coordinators as requested.
North Carolina School Library Media Association
- NCSLMA president 2016-2017
- President-elect 2015-2016
- Advocacy and Governance chair 2014-2015
- Emerging Leader 2013