Sheridan Newsletter 1.6.23
January 6, 2023
A Message from the Principal
Dear Sheridan Families,
Happy New Year and a warm welcome back to school! Our staff took full advantage of the slightly-extended break to come back fully rested, recharged, and ready for all the opportunities ahead in 2023! We have experienced a joyful “reunion” this week with both co-workers and students, sharing tales of outdoor adventures, special family moments, gift surprises, and travel near and far. So while it may take some time to embrace the alarm clock after two+ weeks off, rest assured we are seeing very animated little faces upon their arrival and an eagerness to jump right back into the routine of school.
Hot Cocoa thanks - APT’s Hot Cocoa Bar was scrumptious! There’s nothing like a steamy cup of cocoa with all the fixings to turn a dreary winter day into a delightful one. Our sincere thanks to the coordinators for a treat that was enjoyed by everyone!
Some new families have joined us this semester, so we’d like to quickly review car drop off and pick up procedures:
- AM DROP OFF - Enter the main lot from Sheridan Road in two lanes. Take turns to pull in front of the school for drop off. Please stay in your car and staff will open car doors for your children. School doors open at 7:40 am and school starts promptly at 8:00 am.
- PM PICK UP - 1:45 pm Mondays, 2:50 pm Tuesday-Friday. Cars line up westward on Spruce, and enter the parking lot from the side entrance on Spruce. If you arrive early, please do not pull forward until you see all three school busses in front of the building. Once the busses are here and Early Childhood dismissal is over, cars may pull forward to the crosswalk/garden bed. Please have your car sign ready for our staff caller to read over the walkie talkies. Students will be waiting for you at the cones in front of the building.
Early Childhood Students:
- Community of Learners students use the south door “B” for arrival and dismissal. Class times: AM - 8:30am-11:00am, PM - 12:00pm-2:30pm
- Cars (arrival and dismissal): Pull all the way around the curve of the parking lot and up to the STOP sign at the exit to Sheridan Road; Please line up behind the parked cars on the south side of the parking lot. Four cars should pull forward at a time so that we DO NOT block the handicap spots.
- Full details on Early Childhood arrival and dismissal will be sent to families via email and can be found in the Handbook.
- Any students (EC-4th) who arrive late will need to sign in with their parent at the front office.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Emergency Weather Closing Reminder
In the event of a weather emergency, District 67 has allocated two traditional days of non-instruction (what we have historically referred to as "snow days") for students and staff. Should conditions require school closure beyond those two days, the State of Illinois now allows for eLearning days in lieu of traditional snow days. You can find more guidance regarding weather emergencies on the District 67 website.
Lunar New Year Celebration
All District 67 families are invited to join Cherokee School for a Lunar New Year Celebration, Wednesday, January 18, 2023, 5:00-6:00 PM in the Cherokee Gym.
Celebrate the 2023 Lunar New Year and enjoy Chinese treats, traditional games, arts, and crafts!
Paper-cutting Presentation Schedule:
Presentation 1: 5:10-5:20 pm
Presentation 2: 5:35-5:45 pm
Navigating Illinois Disability Services and Supports
Join District 34 and Clearbrook for Navigating Illinois Disability Services and Supports. Open to ALL District 34 and TrueNorth Families - Thursday, January 19 at 1:00 PM or 7:00 PM. To Register Click Here.
Early Childhood Parent Information Session
District 67 parents/guardians are invited to an Early Childhood Information Session on Wednesday, January 11, from 9:30 - 10:30 AM at Sheridan Elementary School, 1360 N. Sheridan Rd., Lake Forest. Parents/guardians will learn more about the Community of Learners Early Childhood Preschool and have the opportunity to visit the classroom to see the program in action.
APT News and Events
Welcome Back and Happy New Year!
Wednesday January 17th - APT Virtual Evening Meeting 7pm - Google Meet Link to come!
Friday, Feb 24th - Sheridan Winter Party @ Just For Fun Roller Rink, Mundelein More info to come!
Thank you to the APT Committees who coordinated activities before and after Winter Break: Holiday Cookie Committee - Kristen Livesay, Lana Raines, Michelle Taubensee and Marie Woods; Outdoor planters - Noel Dolan; and SEL Committee welcoming back teachers with a hot cocoa bar - Jenny Akemann, Liz Case, Mary Gould Moorhead, Marie Woods.
Please reach out if you have any questions!
Sheridan APT President 2022-24
Follow Sheridan APT on Instagram & Facebook! Stay up-to-date on APT events and activities by following us on Instagram at @SheridanAPT67 and https://www.facebook.com/sheridanapt
APT Nominations Requested for 2023 - 2025 Term
Nominations are being solicited for the following District 67 APT Executive Board positions to serve during the 2023-2025 school years:
APT Executive Board President
APT Executive Board Recording Secretary
APT President, Everett Elementary School
APT President, DPM School
Please note that nominees MUST have prior experience serving on an APT Board (or as a Room Parent) in order to be considered. Also, only parents from a local school can submit a nomination for that building’s APT President.
See the Nomination Form for descriptions of the positions being nominated. If you would like to nominate someone (including yourself), please click here to complete the Nomination Google Form: 2023-2025 APT Nomination Form (please complete online)
Or, you can click on the link below to complete the standard Nomination Form. These forms can be emailed or a photo of the completed form can be texted back at the number below:
2023-2025 APT NOMINATION FORM (please download)
You may also contact APT Executive VP & Nominating Committee Chair Shannon Shader directly via email at email@example.com or at (224) 280-3435 to submit possible candidate names.
FINAL DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSIONS is Monday, January 9, 2023.
Questions? Please contact Shannon Shader at the information above.
Thank you for your thoughtful suggestions!
Happy New Year from the Spirit of 67 Foundation!
In January, in partnership with the APT, the Spirit of 67 is proud to bring MouseTrap Machine Science Assemblies to our elementary schools!
- Everett - January 6
- Sheridan - January 9
- Cherokee - January 23
Thank you for supporting the Spirit of 67 and making it possible for us to enrich the educational experiences for your students!
Grant Applications are due February 9th at 3pm. Please submit your applications ASAP.
Community News & Events
Visit the Green Backpack or the front page of your school website to view the latest programs offered in our community.
Catch up on all the CROYA news by reading their monthly newsletter here or by visiting the CROYA website.
Lake Forest Parks and Recreation
Winter programs start soon! View the program guide or click here to register.
1360 N. Sheridan Rd.
Lake Forest, IL 60045