CLX Buzz 8/22/19
The Claxton Elementary Community Newsletter
What's the Buzz?
- Coming Soon at Claxton...
- Thursday Flyers
- Registration for After School Arts Classes for Fall 2019
- CLX Chat & Coffee with Principal Edwards on Tues, Aug 27!
- Ordering Info and Volunteers for Picture Day (Fri, Aug 30)
- Volunteering at Claxton
- A Claxton High Five
- A Note from Our New PTO (Parent Teacher Organization) Co-Presidents
- Fun Run Coming to Claxton in September
- Mrs. Hillier's Project Lit Funding Campaign
- New Family Orientation
- Student/Family Directory
- Calling All Vendors for ACS Craft Fair (formerly The Claxton Crafty)
- Claxton Rewards Programs
- CLX on Social Media
- Quick Links
Coming Soon at Claxton...
Thursday Flyers (Check your Claxton backpacks!) - Today
Online Registration for After School Arts - Mon, Aug 26, 8am - Mon, Sept 2, 8pm
CLX Chat with Mr. Edwards - Tues, Aug 27, 8-8:30am in the Cafeteria
Picture Day - Fri, Aug 30 (check Thursday Flyers for ordering info)
NO SCHOOL (Labor Day Holiday) - Mon, Sept 2
After School Arts Classes Begin (see individual class schedules) - Mon, Sept 9
Claxton PTO Meeting - Tues, Sept 10, 6-7pm in the Media Center
Open House & Ice Cream Social - Thurs, Sept 12, 5-7pm
Early Dismissal - Mon, Sept 16, 12pm (Staff Appreciation Lunch - 5th Grade hosting)
3rd-5th Grade Dance - Thurs, Sept 19, 3-4pm
Fun Run - Fri, Sept 27
Check Your Thursday Flyers--Picture Day Ordering Info and ASA Enrichment Class Registration
After School Arts (ASA) Classes at Claxton This Fall!
CLX Chat & Coffee with Principal Edwards
We are looking for two volunteers to help with picture day. Both volunteers will need to be on hand from 8-11AM, helping to be sure students are in the right order and are ready for a great school picture. Volunteers will receive 50% off of a picture package. Email email@example.com if you're interested in volunteering.
Volunteering at Claxton
1) Whether you're a new or returning Claxton volunteer, an online background check is needed each year to volunteer in any capacity with students at school or as a supervising chaperone on field trips. It takes about 5 minutes to start your background check but can sometimes take 2-3 weeks for checks to be approved. You cannot volunteer until your background check has been approved, so jump over to this link to get yours started. https://bib.com/SecureVolunteer/Asheville-City-Schools/
2) Also, all volunteers need to attend a brief (~30min) Level II volunteer training with Asheville City Schools before you can volunteer at Claxton. The training is a one-time requirement (not needed each year) and this year's schedule is set so you can go ahead and check the calendar. Please see below for the next training sessions or check this year's full calendar HERE. Trainings take place in the Boardroom at Asheville City Schools' Central Office at 85 Mountain Street. No registration is required to attend the training.
Wednesday, August 28, 2019 at 12:00 PM
Wednesday, September 11, 2019 at 12:00 PM
Wednesday, September 11, 2019 at 6:00 PM
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions or are interested in exploring volunteer opportunities at Claxton!
A Claxton High Five
With the beginning of a new school year, we have lots of new students and families at Claxton. Thanks to our Claxton PTO Welcome Committee, led by Meredith Stanley, Jen Ward, and Susannah Watson, for helping to roll out the welcome mat in various ways!
A note from our new PTO (Parent Teacher Organization) Co-Presidents
Hi Claxton families! Welcome back to school and the PTO if you’re a returning parent/guardian and welcome to this Claxton community if you’re new! We’re happy everyone is here!
We have volunteered and are honored to lead your 2019-2020 Claxton PTO. Like you, we have kids at Claxton and are passionate about helping Mr. Edwards and his team to achieve their goals for our school and children. We will work to continue the important work of the PTO for community-building, volunteering, and fundraising.
Every Claxton parent/guardian is automatically a member of the PTO (there are no membership forms and no dues).
- Our first PTO meeting will be held on Tuesday, September 10 in the Claxton Media Center at 6pm.
- At this meeting we will get to know each other, talk about upcoming volunteer opportunities, hear from teachers and administrators about what is happening at Claxton, and encourage you to share any ideas you may have to help our school and families.
- Committees are already hard at work on upcoming events and fundraisers, but we ALWAYS need more members for these committees.
- If you are unable to attend the meeting but would like to reach out to us to express an idea or way you would like to help please do so!
We are looking forward to working together with all of you this year!
Amanda Pattanayak and Stephanie Jones
Amanda is a parent of a 5th, 3rd, and kindergartener, grew up in Holden, Maine, is married to her husband Jan, and is a Nurse Practitioner with Asheville Pulmonary. Contact her at email@example.com.
Stephanie is a parent to a 2nd grader, grew up in Kingsport, Tennessee, is married to her husband Scott, and is a sales rep for CN Railway. Contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
One of this year’s main fundraisers (and student favorites) is the CLAXTON FUN RUN! It’s a two-week program that kicks off with a Pep Rally on TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 17. Families will then gather pledges for every lap their student runs (30-35 laps) at the CLAXTON FUN RUN, which will happen on FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 27- detailed information to come on Fun Run race times and location. Parents and families are welcome and encouraged to come to the FUN RUN and cheer your student on as they raise money for their school. This year our goal is to raise $27,000 – this money will be used to help cover the costs of our after school arts programming, playground re-design, food and books for students in need, dances, field trip scholarships, teacher appreciation, supplies for the classroom and so much more. Look for more information to come in the following weeks!
Thank you for your support!
Your Claxton PTO
Support Project Lit at Claxton
New Family Orientation
Thanks to all who took the survey this summer about the student / family directory (went to all 2018-2019 registered users of the MySchoolAnywhere app/website)! Your feedback was very helpful in determining how best to have a directory for this school year.
Based on feedback we have decided that this school year we will have a physical directory that will be kept in the school office for viewing. We’re working out the details of getting this compiled (requires a few school system steps that can’t happen until school starts) so stay tuned!
Calling All Vendors for the ACS Craft Fair (formerly The Claxton Crafty)
This year, our awesome handmade art and craft event, formerly known as The Claxton Crafty, will include additional schools from the ACS district The name of the event is still TBD, but you can save the date for Saturday, November 9, 2019 from 10am-5pm at the Salvage Station on Riverside Dr.
We invite teachers, staff, students, family members, and community members to apply as vendors. Vendor booth fees go directly to support participating Asheville City Schools. Vendors pay a registration fee but then keep all of their profits made at the event.
The Salvage Station has enough indoor room for approximately 25 vendors. We are also welcomed to use their awesome outdoor space if you have a tent and would like to set up outside. Indoor vendor fees are $100 for community vendors, and $50 for ACS teachers, staff and students. Outside vendor fees are $75 for community vendors and $37 for ACS teachers, staff and students.
Contact information: Tricia Johnson email@example.com or 828-231-4078
Please fill out the quick application HERE and Tricia will be in contact with further details. Thank you for your support!
Claxton Rewards - Support Our School through Your Regular Shopping!
YOU can easily help our Claxton kids by shopping as you normally do! It all adds up! Please share with your friends and family! Funds go directly to our students in the form of books, field trips, classroom supplies and enrichment programs.
Every August (must be done each year) link your VIC card to choose Claxton as your school. Can do at a store or online:
Every August (must be done each year) link your Ingles Advantage card to choose Claxton as your school. Can be done at a store or online:
Shop at Amazon? Choose Claxton PTO as your charity and Amazon will donate 0.5% of your purchase to Claxton. Cannot use the app but you can put items in your cart from the app and then go to smile.amazon.com to make the final purchase.
How to: 1. Sign in to smile.amazon.com on your desktop or mobile phone brows- er. 2. From your desktop, go to Your Account from the navigation at the top of any page, and then select the option to Change your Charity. Or, from your mo- bile browser, select Change your Charity from the options at the bottom of the page. 3. Select a new charitable organization to support. http://smile.amazon.com/about
For every purchase you make at Staples thru 9/15/19, 5% will go directly to the educators you choose in their rewards check.
Parents visit the website, select a teacher (if you don’t see your teacher just choose another Claxton teacher) and enter a Staples receipt number and purchase amount.
Box Tops are worth 10¢ each for our school. This is THE way that Claxton purchases new types of PE equipment and replenish what is worn out.
Look for the Box Tops 4 Education logo on hundreds of everyday grocery and household products. Clip and save the box tops and place them in container in hallway by office. Eventually the Box Tops program will become digital-only. Use the new Box Tops app to scan your receipts. www.btfe.com