Institute of Culinary Education
School of Pastry & Baking Arts
Morning (8 months)
Hours: Mon-Fri, 8am-12pm Cost: $33,758.22 Starts:2/26
Afternoon (8 months)
Hours: Mon-Fri, 1pm-5pm Cost: $33,758.22 Starts: 1/31
Evenings (12 months)
Hours: Tue, Wed, Th, 6pm-10pm Cost: $33,758.22 Starts: TBD
Intensive (6 months)
Hours: Mon, Tue, Th, Fri, 8:30am-5pm Cost: $33,758.22 Starts:TBD
Weekend (10 months)
Hours: Sat-Sun, 9am-5pm Cost: $30,508.22* Starts: 3/8
Hybrid (9 months)
Hours: Wed, Th, 6-10pm; Sat 9am-5pm Cost: $30,508.22* Starts: TBD
Courses at ICE
COURSE 1: INTRODUCTION TO BAKING TECHNIQUES AND INGREDIENTS: PART I –44 HOURS
COURSE 2: INTRODUCTION TO BAKING TECHNIQUES AND INGREDIENTS: PART II –56 HOURS
COURSE 3: BREADS AND OTHER YEASTRAISED DOUGHS –36 HOURS
COURSE 4: PASTRY DOUGHS –64 HOURS
COURSE 6: CAKES, FILLINGS, AND ICINGS: PART 2 –52 HOURS
COURSE 7: CHOCOLATE CONFECTIONS –44 HOURS
COURSE 8: CAKE DECORATING –56 HOURS
COURSE 9: EXTERNSHIP –210 HOURS
Bakers produce more than the familiar cakes we often see: more complex techniques give us not only an international assortment of cakes, but cookies as well. Covered here are:
• Complex layered goods including plain and chocolate-nut sponges, and génoise
• A wide variety of piped, dropped, molded, bar, sheet, and stencil cookies including biscotti, brownies, madeleines, and macarons
• Our Pastry Masters program includes theory, preparation, and presentation of contemporary plated desserts from master pastry chefs in the industry. Students recreate and prepare recipes by award-winning chefs
Cake decorating represents the ultimate fusion of art and craft. The students’ effort and practice in prior classes is rewarded as they take their skills to a new level by preparing tiered cakes. Students learn:
• Buttercream flowers and borders, royal icing, and fondant (draping, crimping, and ruffling).
• Gum paste flowers, including lilies, roses, and more.
• Floral arrangement and tiered cake assembly including splitting, filling, and crumb coating and the usage of marzipan for covering cakes and making flowers, fruits, and vegetables
• Finishing techniques like petal dusting and tier assembly. This course culminates in the creation of an original two-tiered wedding cake.
ICE top instructors
"I got a sense of home as I walked in the door for a tour."
Pastry & Baking
This is what my parents said about my career choice.
Mom- My mom wants me to do what ever will make me happy, whether that is going to a culinary school or not.
Dad- My dad would like to see me attend a culinary school, because he think this is something that I enjoy and will make me happy.
Johnson & Wales University. Johnson & Wales University, 2013. Web. 23 Jan. 2014.
ICE Institute of Culinary Education. Institute of Culinary Education, 2012. Web.
22 Jan. 2014. http://www.ice.edu/.
Kendall College. Kendall College, 2010. Web. 24 Jan. 2014.