East Elementary Coaching Corner
A Place to Share Resources and Ideas
Ideas and Resources
- How to use a variety of technology, including the iPad, to support teaching/learning
- Ideas and strategies to support ELLs
- Differentiating for higher learners/GT
- Implementation of the 5 non-negotiables
Thing Link App Task Challenge
This week I am highlighting ThingLink. ThingLink allows teachers and students to add content inside any image they choose, including photos, video and audio players, web links and more! This is a link to get you started with a free teacher account. Here you will find an entire blog related to using ThingLink in the classroom. Here is the link to the ThingLink Challenge.
VOCABULARY GAMES FOR STEP 6 OF 'MARZANO'S SIX STEPS FOR BUILDING VOCABULARY': Vocabulary Mini Games
Differentiating for Diverse Learners, on both ends of the average
- Newsela starts by selecting news stories published by newspapers that are likely to have some interest or relevance to students. (News sources include the Seattle Times,Orlando Sentinel, the Associated Press, the LA Times, and the Chicago Tribune.) Newsela has hired journalists to rewrite those stories at different grade levels. Each story is published at four different lexile levels as well as in its original form, for a total of five different reading levels. Students take short quizzes, aligned with Common Core standards to assess their comprehension.Because all students are reading about the same content/concepts , teachers can lead class discussions on the article topics with all students, no matter what their reading level, and because the articles are drawn from current news feeds, the topics are relevant and timely.
- EDpuzzle is a site that lets you take just about any video off the web (or create your own), edit it down to the portions you want, add audio notes and questions for students, and create virtual classrooms where you can monitor individual student work.