Avonworth School District News
Middle School Wins Manufacturing Video Contest
Avonworth Middle School took home the People's Choice and Best Video trophies for the 2016 Explore the New Manufacturing Student VIdeo Contest sponsored by Catalyst Connections. Winners were announced February 18. The contest partnered school districts with area manufacturers. Avonworth Middle School produced a video for Ardex Engineered Cements.
Students Serve as Consultants for Calgon Carbon
Avonworth to Host School Maker Faire
The Avonworth School District, in conjunction with the Ohio River Consortium (O.R.C.), will be hosting a School Maker Faire, May 10, 2016, 5:30-8:30, at Avonworth High School. O.R.C. is a collaboration between Avonworth, Cornell, Moon, and Quaker Valley school districts and with Robert Morris University that focuses on integrating "making" into the K-12 and higher education cultures. The event will feature makers from all levels (K-12) from the participating schools, as well as with some outside makers and making artists. The O.R.C. School Maker Faire will take place concurrently with the Avonworth School District Art Show, featuring the Pittsburgh Galleries Project, an ongoing collaboration in partnership with the Andy Warhol Museum, the Carnegie Museum of Art, the Children's Museum of Pittsburgh, the Mattress Factory, and the Pittsburgh Glass Center. The O.R.C. School Maker Faire will be one event featured as part of Remake Days , May 9-15, 2016, sponsored by Remakelearning.org.
Avonworth Primary Center Celebrates Read Across America
We Care STEAM Fair Great Success
Making blankets for a homeless shelter.
Light photography with LED gloves.
Getting dirty with creating make-and-take aquaponics.
Students Earn Scholastic Arts Honors
Avonworth Fragments Literary Magazine Wins NCTE Award
Fragments, the Avonworth High School literary magazine, was honored with a ranking of "Excellent" from the National Council of Teachers of English competition for its 2015 publication.
Student editors: Lauren Robinet (Class of 2016), Megan Williams (Class of 2017)
Faculty adviser: Ashleigh Fox
High School & Middle School Students Earn TSA Honors
Congratulations to Bill White, Avonworth Technology Education Instructor, and the following students for placing in the Technology Student Association Regional Competition:
Brandan Hart - 1st in Technology Problem Solving
Nathaniel Walko and Welcome Tjelmeland - 2nd in Technology Problem Solving
Nathaniel Walko - 2nd in Structural Engineering
Calvin Zheng and Reed Hall - 2nd in Architectural Renovation
International Technology Education Leaders Visit Avonworth
Primary & Elementary Students Compete in Tri-State Junior Chess Tournament
Music Department Preforms in Recital
Winter Athletics Nets Many Accomplishments
- Lindsey Tighe places 1st in the beam exercise at the WPIAL Gymnastics Championship.
- Emily Ferketic named one of the top freshman in the country by Prep Volleyball.
- Garret Day named all-section in boys basketball.
- Ken Azzeralla placed 5th in the WPIAL Wrestling Championships.
- Hannah Schoeppner qualified for the PIAA State Bowling Championships.
- Avonworth Girls Bowling wins 3rd straight section title.
- Avonworth Boys & Girls Basketball qualified for the WPIAL Championships.
- Avonworth Boys & Girls Swimming won their respective section titles with undefeated records and finished in the top 10 at the WPIAL Championships.
- Avonworth Boys & Girls Swim Team had 19 swimmers qualify for the WPIAL Championships.