Title 1 Program
Sawyer Road Elementary
This Title 1 Newsletter can translate into different languages. In your email, simply click on the Newsletter. It will open the Newsletter on the smore website. From there, scroll down to the bottom of the page to change the language.
Sawyer Road Elementary is a Title 1 School
Title 1, Part A is a federally funded program under the Every Student Succeeds ACT (ESSA). The purpose of Title 1 under the ESSA is to ensure that all children have a fair, equal, and significant opportunity to obtain a high quality education and reach, at a minimum, proficiency on challenging state academic achievement standards and state academic assessments.While ESSA has many requirements, there is a strong focus throughout the law on parent and family engagement notification and involvement, particularly as it relates to:
- Ensuring that high-quality academic assessments, accountability systems, teacher preparation and training, curriculum, and instructional materials are aligned with challenging State academic standards so that students, teachers, parents, and administrators can measure progress against common expectations for student academic achievement.
- Affording parents substantial and meaningful opportunities to participate in the education of their children.
Marietta City School District has 9 Title 1 Schools
- A.L. Burruss ES
- Dunleith ES
- Hickory Hills ES
- Lockheed ES
- Park Street ES
- Sawyer Road ES
- Marietta Sixth Grade Academy
- Marietta Middle School
- Marietta High School
Title 1 Is a Federal Program
SRE is a Schoolwide Title 1 Program
Under the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) section 1114(a)(1), as amended by ESSA, a school may operate a schoolwide program if it meets any of the following conditions:
- A Title I school with 40 percent or more of its students living in poverty, regardless of the grades it serves.
Schools receiving Title 1 money to support a school-wide program may use their funds to improve student achievement throughout their entire school; therefore every child benefits from the added services and programs, not just the students identified as eligible to participate. All of the school staff focuses on upgrading the entire educational program and improving the achievement of all students.
- Hire Supplemental Staff
- Purchase Instructional Materials/Supplies
- Training's/Workshops for Teachers and Parents
- Parent Engagement
Parent Involvement Is Important
Parental involvement is a crucial factor of Title 1 legislation. Parental involvement means the participation of parents in regular, two-way, and meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities, including and ensuring that:
- Parents play an integral role in assisting their child's learning.
- Parents are encouraged to be actively involved in their child's education at school.
- Parents are full partners in their child's education and are included, when appropriate, in decision making to assist in the education of their child.
Let's Get Together!
SRE will host the following events to build the capacity for strong family engagement to support a partnership among the school, parents, and the community to improve student academic achievement.
- Annual Title 1 Meeting - August 15, 2019 at 6:30 pm
- Parent Teacher Conference Week (Semester 1) - September 16 - 20, 2019
- Parent Teacher Conference (Semester 2) - February 13 - 14, 2019
- All Pro Dad Meeting's - They meet the first Friday of every month from 7:15 am - 8 am in the Cafeteria.
- Monthly Pep Rally's to celebrate student achievements.
- Parent Workshops - MILE Program, ESOL, GMAS, STEAM, Aspen Parent Portal, Reading, etc. These workshops are scheduled throughout the year. Check the school calendar and the Friday Scoop Report for upcoming events.
- Classroom Events that support Student Work and Parent & Family Engagement - Your child's teacher will host events in their classroom throughout the year to showcase what students are working on.
- PTA Events that support Parent & Family Engagement:
- Grandparents Day - September 19, 2019 at 7:30 am - 8:30 am in the Cafeteria
- October 4, 2019 - MCS Homecoming Parade
- Breakfast w/ Santa - December 14, 2019 at 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
- Dad's Day - January 24, 2020 at 7:30 am - 8:30 am in the Cafeteria
- Mom's Day - February 27, 2020 at 7:30 am - 8:30 am in the Cafeteria
- March Math Madness - March 12, 2020 at 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
- PTA Art Night - April 16, 2020 at 6:30 pm - 8:00 pm
[More dates will be posted on the school calendar webpage]
Parent and Family Engagement Standards
Sawyer Road Elementary and our parents have adopted the National PTA Standards for Family-School Partnerships as the school's model in engaging parents, students, and the community. These standards are:
- Welcoming All Families
- Communicating Effectively
- Supporting Student Success
- Speaking Up for Every Child
- Sharing Power
- Collaborating with Community
SRE Title 1 Documents for Parents & Families
Georgia Department of Education Brochures: