6 Week Update
We are soaring! Please read on.
We are now 6 weeks into our "Transitioning" small group, who is now called "Future Masterminds." This is the second of 3 updates that I will send. With your help, we may see the changes necessary for academic and life success. I will send a final update and closing at the 9-week mark. Our last date together as a group is Wednesday, January 29th.
If your child has not shared, I want to update you on what we have discussed thus far!
Session 4-6 Highlights
Session #4 - The "Distractors" Lead to Procrastination Station
- Students shared their SMART Goal and group members discussed whether the SMART Goal included the key components to ensuring the goal would be reached. Goals must me specific/savvy, measurable, active/action oriented, realistic/reasonable, and timely/timed.
- The group defined distractions and how these people, places, and/or things could stop them from meeting a goal.
- Students identified their own distractions and discussed strategies on how to decrease and eventually eliminate them! Oh what a conversation!
- Students connected how distractions can lead to procrastination, which means a goal is not being reached.
- (HW) – Students were tasked to do the following:
- Before studying, tell your family about your study schedule.
- Remove "distractors."
- Gather all necessary tools to start an assignment.
- Set a timer for 25-30 minutes and focus on completing as much work during that time.
- Take a 5 minute break while using a timer.
- Once break is over, set timer again for 25-30 minutes
- Complete or start new assignment.
- Reflect on difference between this specific process and what you have done in the past. Did you see a change?
Session #5 - FEAR – Life’s False Images of Reality - You Have the POWER!
- Students shared what happened once they removed distractions and described how it felt to get something completed. --- Baby steps but we are moving!!!
- Students learned how by allowing yourself to become distracted and hesitate to get things done, you are feeding your fears.
- Students were given random words, like "reading, math, ice cream, dancing, and video games" and were asked to share what came to mind when hearing or seeing the word. I even slipped in some of their teacher's names!! Uh oh! What a conversation we had!
- We discussed how our confidence and our ability should not be questioned and how the power lies within us to push through these mental blocks. How confident is your child?
- Students were given the first four lines of the infamous poem, "Our Deepest Fear" by Marianne Williamsom and were walked through each line.
- (HW) - Students were to learn the first four lines of the poem to be recited at the next session.
Session #6 - FEAR – Life’s False Images of Reality - Part 2
- Session included an open discussion about examples of times where students persevered.
- Students were asked to stand before the group and recite the first four lines of the poem. --> Some students exceeded the expectation and pushed out of their shell where as some are still working on this aspect.
- Students were given the next four lines of the infamous poem, "Our Deepest Fear" by Marianne Williamsom and were walked through each line.
- (HW) - Students were to learn the next 4 lines of the poem to be recited at the next session. Students will recite the first 8 lines of the poem.