Eastside: The Greatest School
"No one ever made a difference by being like everyone else."
Week of April 8th
Eastside Mission & Vision
Working in partnership with the community, Eastside Elementary will provide all students:
A collaborative team of professionals who are committed to improve their practices, so that all students learn at high levels
A safe, positive, and inviting learning environment
An engaging and challenging curriculum focused on essential academics and life skills
Individualized and timely support that provides students with what they need to succeed
Countdown to the Greatest Show:
3rd and 4th grade - 8 days
5th grade - 13 days
This is the Greatest School
Our K-2 growth on MAP is so exciting! I will share with all of you in our staff meetings on Wednesday! This will be the energy and excitement we need going in to our ACT Aspire testing! This is the Greatest School! A Million Dreams is All It's Going to Take!
I want to say thank you to everyone for living out our mission. Last week was extremely busy for me with kindergarten transition meetings, sped Annual reviews, and interviews for our assistant principal and open teaching position. Each and every one of you carried the school last week. I appreciate all of you jumping in and taking care of things as they arose. I am so proud of all of you! As we approach the end of the year, things will continue to get busy. All of you will need to daily commit to the task at hand at helping kids learn and succeed! Remember, if everyone does their job, we will have a smooth end of the year. If I have to remind you where you should be and what you should be doing, we will have some difficult conversations in my office (which I do not want to have to do, but I will).
Arts Fest (Wow What a Show!) Mrs. Gordon does a great job with our Eastside artists!
Details for the Week
- PROWL back in full swing. If you have any questions about enrichment, ask Mrs. Manning.
- Our visitors for PROWL had to reschedule due to a sickness.
- SIT meets today at 10:00 AM
- K-2 MAP Prize Drawings and Celebration of the Data at 2:00 PM in the cafeteria (1st grade block teachers will bring first grade down. We will call for you to come down over the intercom.)
- PTO Meeting at 3:45 - Next Year's Officer Slate of Nominations Prepared at the meeting
- Final day to Nominate someone for Teacher of the Year
- SIT meets again at 10:00
- Kinder registration from 4:00 - 6:00
- Certified staff meeting at 7:50 in the team meeting room. All students will be with Cardin, Newkirk, Turner, Slicer (once duty is finished), and Rotton (once duty is finished). Classified staff will meet at 8:20 in the team meeting room.
- Team meetings will be content for 3-5. 3-5 will be bringing in data from last week's CFA. Reminder that each teacher should have data from each student. We are tightening up this process to ensure that we are looking at data by student, by skill to make decisions for intervention and enrichment. Support staff and K-2 will meet this week as well. Support staff will be start talking about the last spirit day rewards (more information to come) and K-2 will start working on MAP reflections.
- K-2 will receive their first golden ticket. This process will be explained in team meetings.
- #LoveMySchoolDay2019 (Take a picture within your school day to post on social media about why our school rocks. You may take it with your personal cell phone. You may post it during your lunch or recess time. This is optional, but it would be so much fun if everyone participated! Make sure to use the #LoveMySchoolDay2019)
- K-2 Winner of Urban Air 9:30 - 12:30
- Prek Teddy Bear Clinic
- Morning time Friday Schedule will be relationship building for all grades. These teachers will need to go pick up their kids from PE building or cafeteria. If you do not have a relationship group, you will help in PE building or cafeteria.
- VIP Fundraiser Hat Day $1
- VIP Fundraiser National Cheese Day Cookoff ($5 to test out all the yummy food.)
- Important News:
- Please spread the word for Kinder registration on April 9th from 4:00-6:00pm. We need as many Kinders to register!!
- MAP PM will be for grades 3-5 and will occur during their computer block time. This will be the last MAP PM for the year.
- Dibels PM will be for grades K-2 this week.
- SIT commenting will be for kinder through 2nd grade. Make sure to comment on EOY MAP data, how they are doing in decodable readers, and phonics assessments. This time of year we need concise information about all parts of reading such as Phonological Awareness struggles, Phonics Struggles, decoding, and comprehension. If you are their classroom teacher, you should comment, if you are their interventionists, you should comment, and if you are the PROWL teacher, you will comment.
- Facebook live this week will be for 3-5 literacy teachers. We will do this during team meetings on Wednesday. It will be less than 5 minutes, so begin to think through what you could talk to parents about to help students with literacy at home.
- Fun Day coming up on April 12th. We will be having a "cheesy day" in the lounge for National Cheese Day. We are asking that all staff would bring a cheesy dish for the "Cheesy Cookoff". Each staff member can pay $5 for a plate to try all the treats and vote on the dishes. This fundraiser will go towards our VIP program to take them to Magic Springs for their EOY trip. The winner of the best dish will get a "cheesy" prize! We will also have a hat day on that day for students to pay $1 to wear a hat. This money will also go towards VIP. See Mrs. Manning's email about this as well.
- Make sure to take care of the resources that have been entrusted to your care. We are constantly looking at what other materials need to be purchased. In order to continue this process, you must take care of what you currently have. Make sure students understand to take care of things as well. None of these items purchased with school funds are ours. They belong to Greenbrier Eastside.
- We are loving the pictures rolling in of engaging activities in your classroom. Keep them rolling in! Email them to Mrs. Manning and myself. We want to continue to tell Eastside's story through social media.
- To request a sub: Link to the Web Site: https://www.willsubplus.com Filling it out online should ensure a better chance of the sub request being filled. LOGON: Use your district provided email address PASSWORD: Use the “Forgot Password?” reset link on the home page of the web site to set your password.
Mrs. Heller works with K-2
Computer Science Word of the Month: Conditional
Character Word of the Month: Citizenship
Important Dates (Refer to our EES 2018- 2019 Year at a Glance Calendar in Google Drive)
I have updated the EES Calendar at a glance with lots of new upcoming dates.