Para traducir en un teléfono celular, haga clic el círculo blanco y negro en la parte inferior derecha. Para traducir en una tableta o computadora, haga clic en el cuadro negro a la derecha que dice "traducir boletín informativo.”
To translate on a cell phone, click on the black and white circle on the bottom right. To translate on a tablet, computer, click the black box to the right that says, "translate newsletter."
We are in full swing of the third trimester already! Report cards went home last month, and now we turn our focus to CAASPP testing, Open House, and finishing the year together. April will be a month of significant focus on academics; we are working hard to master as many core standards as possible in preparation for CAASPP testing. Students will continue with the high-quality work that is accustomed here at Larsen School.
CAASPP state testing for grades 3rd through 8th will be taking place starting in May. The testing window for Larsen is from May 24-June 7. We ask that every student taking the test get a good night’s rest, eat a healthy breakfast, and take their time completing the test. We want students to be able to demonstrate the knowledge and skills they have learned this year.
Larsen School wishes you a wonderfully restful Spring Break, and we look forward to returning to a very busy and productive rest of our school year. Thank you, again, for your great support of our students and staff. We are all thrilled to be part of this amazing Larsen Team!
- 04/04 - 04/15: Spring Break
- 04/18: School Resumes
- 04/20: Picture Day
- 04/22: Earth Day
- 05/02-05/05: Teacher/Staff Appreciation Week
- 05/05: Outdoor Open House
- 05/06: Progress Notices
- 05/09 - 05/13: Spring Parent Conferences
- 05/24 - 06/10: CAASPP State Testing for Grades 3-5
- 3 Positive Parenting Program (flyer below)
You're invited to our 21-22 Outdoor Open House on May 5th!
JOIN OUR PTA TODAY!
Would you like to make a positive difference for Larsen School? Join our AMAZING PTA today! Our Parent Teacher Association (PTA) addresses issues that are important to parents and public school educators. It helps foster our school-community partnerships. We hope you'll choose to join us in ensuring Larsen School thrives!👊🏼🙌🏼😃Membership via this link is only $8. https://jointotem.com/ca/oxnard/ansgar-larsen-elementary-pta
PTA BOARD NOMINATIONS
These are Larsen School nominees for next year's PTA Board.
The election will take place during our Open House on May 5.
President: Karen Whitmer
Secretary: Kendra Robinson
Treasurer: Lisa Chavez
VP Ways and Means: Jennifer Zwaal
VP Membership: Becky Newman
VP Programs: Eva Huizar-Rocha
Historian: Anabelen Matti
The Positive Parenting Program (Triple P) aims to make parenting easier and more enjoyable. The three seminars will offer suggestions and ideas on positive parenting to help you develop a positive relationship with your child.
COVID Symptoms Reminder
As a reminder, at no time is it acceptable to send students to school when they are experiencing COVID-19 symptoms, especially if they have received a positive test result (laboratory-based OR at-home test). Please make sure to report all positive cases to your students’ school.
COVID-19 related Symptoms:
Fatigue/Muscle or Body Aches
Fever above 99.5 degrees
Loss of Smell/Taste
*If your student is unvaccinated and was a close contact to someone who was COVID positive, they must quarantine at home even if they do not have any symptoms.
1. Quarantine can end after Day 5 if asymptomatic and a test collected on Day 5 or later is negative OR
2. Quarantine can end after Day 10 if asymptomatic.
COVID-19 Testing remains available to all students and staff from 10:00-3:45 each Tuesday and Thursday at Haycox School and on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays at Blackstock School. Use the Larsen registration link below. No appointments will be necessary after you complete the initial registration process. Thank you for keeping our school community safe!
RAY D. PRUETER LIBRARY READY TO SUPPORT STUDENTS!
The Ray D. Prueter Library in Port Hueneme is open and ready to support our students!
The library is open Monday through Thursday 10am - 6pm, Friday and Saturday 12 noon - 5pm, and closed Sunday.
The Rosenbluth Family Homework Center at the library is open Monday through Thursday, 3:00 pm – 5:30 pm.
The Homework Center provides free homework assistance in addition to internet access and free color printing for school projects.
The Ray D. Prueter Library is located at 510 Park Avenue in Port Hueneme.
The library hopes to see you soon!
Informational PDF HERE
Are you concerned about your child's social-emotional or academic progress?
If the answer is yes, follow these steps:
- Make sure your child gets 10-11 hours of sleep each night.
- Make sure your child receives nutritious meals daily.
- Make sure your child is at school on time every day.
- Have a consistent homework routine.
- Talk to your child. What does your child feel he/she is struggling with?
- Talk to your child's teacher. Does the teacher also have concerns?
- Talk to the counselor or the assistant principal.
- Consider a medical evaluation. This step can help rule out any medical issues that could affect school success (vision, hearing, allergies, asthma, ADD, etc.)
Make sure your student is reading at home EVERY DAY!
Why is reading so important?
Studies show that reading for pleasure makes a big difference to children’s educational performance. Here’s how you can get your child off to a great start.
Evidence suggests that children who read for enjoyment every day not only perform better in reading tests than those who don’t, but also develop a broader vocabulary, increased general knowledge and a better understanding of other cultures.
In fact, reading for pleasure is more likely to determine whether a child does well at school than their social or economic background.
What difference can I make as a parent?
You can make a huge difference! Parents are the most important educators in a child’s life – even more important than their teachers – and it’s never too early to start reading together.
Even before they're born, babies learn to recognise their parents' voices. Reading to your baby from birth, even for just a few minutes a day, gives them the comfort of hearing your voice and increases their exposure to language.
TK AND KINDERGARTEN enrollment is open! Registration Night on Tuesday, March 1st
Transitional Kindergarten (TK) and Kindergarten 2022-23 enrollment is now open.
- Students who turn 5 between September 2nd and February 2nd may enroll in TK
- Students who turn 5 by September 1st may enroll in Kindergarten.
- TK is offered at Bard, Haycox, Hueneme, Larsen, and Williams Schools.
- Enroll for both TK and Kindergarten at your HOME School, even if TK is not offered at your home school.
- If TK is not offered at your home school, staff at your home school will assist in enrolling your child in one of the TK classes at another school site. Based on enrollment, TK classes may be added to additional school sites.
- To get a glimpse into our TK and kindergarten classrooms, please watch this short video:
- Further enrollment details can be found here: https://www.hueneme.org/page/registration
Immunization Records (Shots)
Physical Exam (Stamped)
Dental Exam (Stamped)
Proof of residency
Utility bill, Public Assistance, Escrow Papers, Renters Agreement, Income Tax for the current year.
Registration Times during the day:
Mon., Tues., Thurs., Fri.: 9:00-11:00 a.m. & 1:00-2:00pm
Wednesdays: 9:00 – 11:00
TIMELY ARRIVAL=SCHOOL SUCCESS
Questions? Contact Us!
7:45 AM - 4:00 PM
Interim Assistant Principal
Contacting your student's teacher
- Contact your teacher via GoTo Connect
- Contact your teacher after school
- Dial (805)986-8740 and ask to be transferred
- Message them using seesaw or Google Classroom