News from the Nest
March 2, 2018
The Week Ahead
- Keystone Opportunity Center - Food Drive
- Art Goes to School - Grades K,1,2
- Volunteer TB Testing (Mon - Wed)
- Rock Your Socks Drive (ends 3/23)
Monday 3/5 (Day 3)
- School Dental Exams, 9 am
- Girls on the Run, 3:30-5:00 pm, Location: Gym
Tuesday 3/6 (Day 4)
- ELA SPARK, 3:30-4:30 pm.
Wednesday 3/7 (Day 1)
- School Physicals, 9 am
Thursday 3/8 (Day 2)
- Math Olympiads, 3:30-4:30 pm
- Math SPARK, 3:30-4:30 pm
- Girls on the Run, 3:30-5:00 pm, Location: Gym
Friday 3/9 (Day 3)
- End of 2nd Trimester
- VF Spirit Day! Wear blue and yellow or VF spirit wear!
- Student Council, 8-8:30 am
- Lip Sync, 7 pm. (Acts arrive at 6:15 pm). Location: Indian Crest Middle School Auditorium (Snow Date: Saturday 3/10)
Saturday 3/10 - Elementary Honors Band Rehearsal, 9-11:30 am. Location: Indian Crest Middle School
*March 1 - March 27* is the SASD Youth Art Month Exhibit at Indian Valley Public Library. Stop in to see student work from all SASD Schools and Grades!
Food Drive for Keystone Opportunity Center
• Canned (Tuna, Chicken, Salmon)
• Deodorant (Men's and Women's)
All items will be collected the week of March 5 through March 9.
Please see the KOC Food Drive flyer for the specifics of the Food Drive.
Thank you for sharing with our neighbors who are in need!
To schedule an appointment, please contact the nurse's office at Vernfield Elementary, 215.721.0606, prompt 3.
All Vernfield students and families are invited to attend the Lip Sync program on Friday, March 9 at 7 pm at Indian Crest Middle School! Come out to join in the fun and support your friends and teachers!
We will be collecting gift cards to Target, Giant, or any other store to help support a Vernfield family! #Win4Clark #IronDad23
Hope to see you there!
Rock Your Socks Drive
Yearbooks are on sale now through March 16! To order, go to www.jostens.com and search for Vernfield Elementary. They are $18 each. Online orders are preferred but checks/cash can be sent for the exact amount only (no change will be given). Books will be distributed in early June.
To submit yearbook photos online:
• Go to: https://images.schoolannualonline.com/login
• If it does not automatically log you into the site, enter username: 409613596
• Browse to select the photo(s) you wish to upload.
• Enter information about the photo and provide contact information in case the staff needs additional information.
• Click "Save Details".
****Please make sure that each photo has the classroom/teacher name or event included in the file name****
- These photos will only be used by the Yearbook Staff for inclusion in the yearbook.
- Not every photo submitted will be able to be included in the yearbook.
- Please submit photos of school events ONLY
Please direct any questions to Sandra Esposito at Sandra_esposito05@yahoo.com.
Save the Date!
*Week of 3/12*
- 1st Grade DVD Literacy
Monday 3/12 - Home & School Meeting with board elections, 7 pm. Location: Library
Tuesday 3/13 - 3rd Grade Musical, 2:30pm AND 6:30pm
Wednesday 3/14 - NO SCHOOL - Act 80 Day for Teachers
- Reading Olympics, 8-8:40 am
- Yearbook orders due
*Week of 3/19*
- Progress Report Parent Signature Cards sent home
- 2nd Trimester Progress Reports available on HAC at 7 pm
- 1st Grade - Montgomery County 4H Literacy Program, 2:30 pm
- Spring Picture Day
- Have you had the conversation? Parent Program, 6:30 pm. Location: Indian Crest Middle School. See District News section below for details.
- Sundae Bar at Lunch
- World Down Syndrome Awareness Rock Your Socks Buddy Walk, 9:00 am
- Reading Olympics at SAHS
- 1st Grade Field Trip
- 5th Grade Field Trip
*Girls on the Run*
- Practice: Mondays and Thursdays (on school days) until 5/3, 3:30-5:00 pm
- Race: Sunday, 5/20 (more details to come)
- ELA: Tuesdays: 3/13, 3/20: 3:30-4:30 pm.
- Math: Thursdays: 3/15, 3/22: 3:30-4:30 pm.
*Elementary Honors Band*
- Rehearsal: Saturdays 3/17, 3/24: 9-11:30 am. Location: Indian Crest Middle School
- Concert: Saturday 3/24, 2 pm.
The DVD Literacy committee will begin taping our 1st grade students the week of March 12.
Thank you to the volunteers who helped tape the 2nd graders!
The committee needs volunteers to help record the students during the school day. No experience necessary! If you are interested in volunteering, please email Amy Thompson at email@example.com.
If you have not yet signed a permission form for your child (it only needs to be done once), a copy will be sent home in your child's communicator or you can find it online here (see also permission letter).
Help is needed for the following programs and events. Please consider getting involved so that these programs can be run this year and continue in the future! Thank you!
**DVD Literacy Taping (Now! 2018)
Volunteers are needed to help record our students during the school day. No experience necessary! If you are interested in volunteering, please email Amy Thompson at firstname.lastname@example.org.
**Race for Education (Spring 2018)
Help is needed for various jobs to run the Race for Education. Please contact Jenn and Kevin Lister at VFhomeschool@soudertonsd.org if you are able to help with either planning or on the day of the Race. Thanks!
**Yearbook (Spring 2018 and future)
The Yearbook Committee is looking for help with the Spring 2018 Yearbook as well as someone to begin learning how to put together the yearbook when the current staff 'graduates'. The students love receiving a yearbook, and it is a great way to preserve memories from year to year. If you are interested, please contact Sandra Esposito at email@example.com.
**Pod Parents (Summer 2018)
Our Pod Parent committee needs a new chair for the 2018-2019 school year. Pod parents are volunteers that help teachers with many 'start up' tasks during the first week of school, which include copying, cutting, labeling, sorting, etc. The main role of the chair of this committee is create a Sign-up genius to send to interested parents. Please contact either Sheila Hercek at firstname.lastname@example.org or Meg Dick at email@example.com if you are interested!
**DVD Literacy Co-Chair (Fall 2018)
The DVD Literacy Committee is also looking for a new co-chair for next year to help with more of the paperwork and organization part of this committee. If you are interested and able to help, please contact Amy Thompson firstname.lastname@example.org or Meg Dick email@example.com.
Reminder: all volunteers must fill out the Registration and Disclosure Statement and return it to the office. There are also copies available in the Vernfield office.
Information about additional clearances needed can be found here.
**Indian Valley Middle School Musical: Peter Panic (Mar 8, 9, 10)
Indian Valley Middle School presents Peter Panic! Tickets are $5 (students and seniors over 60 are $3) and can be purchased in advance from the IVMS office (by Friday 3/9) or at the door.
When: Thursday - Saturday, March 8 - 10: 7 pm
Where: Indian Valley Middle School
**Have you had the conversation? Parent Program (Mar 20)
"Have You Had The Conversation? How to talk with your kids about substances." is an event geared toward elementary school parents. For more information and to register, please click the Event Flyer or visit our web page at http://www.soudertonsd.org/have-you-had-the-conversation.
When: Tuesday, March 20, 6:30 p.m.
Where: Indian Crest Middle School
Who: Parents ONLY, babysitting will be provided.
Be a Part of the Conversation is a non-profit that creates effective, culture-changing programs that are designed to significantly increase awareness of the effects of alcohol and other drug use. Learn more at https://conversation.zone/