The Warwick Welcome!
Parent/Guardian Handbook 2019
Dear Warwick Parents & Guardians,
It is almost here--the start of the 2019-2020 school year! Thanks to Mr. Jerry and our custodial crew, Warwick is sparkling clean. Our bulletin boards are coming to life thanks to our PTO. Teachers are getting their classrooms ready for engaged learning and fun. We cannot wait to see how much your children have grown and hear all about their summers.
If you are new to Warwick Elementary this year, you are in a good place. Last year was my first year at Warwick. This school community prides itself on being warm and supportive. To experience this, I encourage you to get involved (see notes on the various ways to get involved below). You'll be so glad you did, and we need everyone's help to continue making this school the best place it can be for our children.
For everyone, this Warwick Welcome is meant to help you prepare for the upcoming school year and serves as an online parent handbook. We hope you read carefully through this handbook taking time to complete the “to-dos” before the school year begins. We recommend bookmarking this newsletter for convenient reference, but it is also posted on our newsletter web page. If you still have questions after reading this handbook, or if every you have a question or concern, please call the Warwick Main Office at 267-893-4050.
On behalf of the entire faculty and staff of Warwick, enjoy these last days of summer. We look forward to seeing you all very soon!
Cheryl R. Leatherbarrow, Ed.D.
Time for School!
Our Regular Schedule for Grades 1 - 6 is:
- Arrival at 9:05 AM.
- Dismissal at 3:45 PM.
Our Kindergarten Regular Schedule is:
- AM Kindergarten goes from 9:05 AM and ends at 11:40 AM.
- PM Kindergarten goes from 1:10 PM and ends at 3:45 PM.
- For Kindergarten students there is transportation at 9:05 AM and 3:45 PM. There is no midday transportation for Kindergarten.
On Early Dismissal Days, Warwick Dismisses at 12:25 PM.
On 2-Hour Delayed Opening Days, Warwick starts at 11:05 AM and then still dismisses as normal at 3:45 PM. We have a Modified Kindergarten Schedule for Delayed Openings:
- AM Kindergarten goes from 11:05 AM and ends at 12:50 PM.
- PM Kindergarten goes from 2 PM and ends at 3:45 PM.
There are several ways for parents and guardians to stay connected and informed on Warwick happenings.
- Warwick Web: Please bookmark and use our school's website as a resource.
- Warwick Online Calendar: We keep an updated calendar for the school year posted there as well as other information and helpful links. As soon as we know it, we post it! If you would like to see something on our web site that is not there, leave us feedback using our online form which you can find at the end of this and every Warwick Weekly newsletter.
- Teacher Web Pages: Each of our teachers has a web page where you can find contact information, school supply lists, and resources.
- Warwick Emails: In order to receive our school emails, parents/guardians must have a current and correct email address in the Parent Portal.
- Parent Portal: Throughout your child's CBSD years, the Portal is an important tool for parents and guardians. Parents can use the Portal to view report cards, attendance, immunizations, and state assessment scores.
- Newsletters: During the school year on Thursday evenings, we email, tweet, and post on Facebook, our web page, and our CBSD app our Warwick Weekly newsletters. During the summer, we share one ongoing newsletter called the Summer Scroll. Both are posted on our newsletter web page for your convenience.
- CBSD App: Our District has a free app for use in keeping connected with one (or more) schools (in case you have other children in other schools).
- Twitter: Get Warwick Tweets by following @CBWarwickElem on Twitter. Our tweets are also streamed on our Warwick web page. Lots of our teachers also tweet the great things they are learning and teaching.
- Facebook: Warwick is one of two CBSD schools that has its own Facebook Page! We will use this to communicate highlights and upcoming events much like we do using Twitter.
- Feedback from You: We encourage you to communicate with us. To make this convenient, and even anonymous, at the bottom of every newsletter, you will see "We Want to Hear from You." We have an online form where you can submit your feedback, positive and constructive. In the past year, we have had some excellent ideas come from this feedback form.
- Being Here: Nothing beats actually being here! We hope to see you here for events, as a volunteer, and as we celebrate our students. Our teachers will reach out with classroom opportunities to volunteer and participate. Our PTO will offer other opportunities as well.
Please Note: In order to volunteer in CBSD schools, parents/guardians must get their Volunteer clearance through the District. In order to visit CBSD school, parents/guardians must have a PA Photo License and be cleared through School Gate Guardian system. See more information about volunteer and visitor clearances below.
Click here to learn more about our amazing PTO and how you can get involved!
What's Happening Next?
September 3, 2019
- First day of school for all students, 9:05 AM - 3:45 PM (AM Kindergarten: 9:05 - 11:40 AM; PM Kindergarten: 1:10 - 3:45 PM)
- Back to School Night for Special Ed Grs 5 & 6, 5:45 PM
- BTSN Grs 5 & 6, 6:15 PM
- BTSN PEN (Gifted Students), 7:00 pm
September 4, 2019
- Back to School Night for Special Ed Grs 3 & 4, 6:00 pm
- BTSN Grs 3 & 4, 6:30 pm
- Warwick Spirit Day! Wear your Warwick colors, maroon and white, to show your Warwick Pride!
Warwick Faculty & Staff Summer News!
- Miss Brielle Erb, 5th Grade
- Mrs. Laurette Kozlik, Education Assistant
- Ms. Amber Heere-MacLeod, 1st Grade
- Ms. Kate Mooney, Learning Support
- Mr. Bill Sauter, 3rd Grade
- Ms. Megan Walmsley, 4th Grade
- Ms. Anna Walton, Psychologist
To learn more about our newest teachers, please check out the Warwick Summer Scroll 2019.
We know you join us in wishing farewell to the following faculty and support staff who have left Warwick Elementary for other schools, opportunities, and experiences.
- Mrs. Katie Dingui
- Mrs. Lauren Smith Becker
- Mrs. Bonny Kelly
- Mrs. Allison Wetzel
- Ms. Margaret Ritts
- Ms. Ali Roth
APEX Fun Run!
We are pleased to announce that our PTO voted to partner with the APEX team for our Fun Run this fall. This run is a partnership between the Warwick PTO Foundation and the Apex Leadership Co team, resulting in a student-focused, PBIS based, 2-week, all-school program and fundraiser. Daily activities include promoting fitness, leadership lessons in the classroom and on the playground, and merging health and wellness with character-building exercises. For more information click on the linked flyer below.
From Aramark Food Services
Breakfast and lunch are available for purchase daily. Families may wish use "MySchoolBucks" to place money in an account for their child's convenience. Free and reduced lunches are available for families who qualify. Applying is easy! See link below.
Student Emergency & Information
Each year, the Central Bucks School District requires our families to fill out a student emergency & information form. The Parent Portal is open so that families may complete the form. The process takes approximately ten minutes to complete. The online form will ask you to confirm and/or update the following:
- Demographic Information
- Emergency Contacts
- Health Information, including permission for emergency care and analgesic administration
- Media Release Preferences
Completion of Student Emergency Information is due September 14th.
If you do not have a Parent Portal account, or please follow this link to request one.
If you need help with your Parent Portal account, please contact Warwick's Main Office for assistance (267-893-4050).
Click here (www.cbsd.org/Page/26952) to be directed to your Parent Portal account to complete the student emergency and information form. Thank you in advance for taking the time to update this important information!
Notes on Arrival and Dismissal
Late Arrival to School
Changing Your Dismissal Routine
If it is necessary to change your normal pick-up routine at the end of the day (e.g., a different adult picking up, bus rather than car, car rather than bus, a change in childcare arrangements, etc.) a written note must be presented to the classroom teacher, who will share the information with the office.
For unforeseen changes, parents/guardians may notify the office before 3:00 PM by phone (267-893-4055) of the change. Because teachers are engaged with students' learning and will not be able to check their email during the instructional day, do NOT email or call the classroom teacher regarding changes in dismissal plans.
All students are encouraged to ride the bus or walk as designated safe by the Central Bucks School District. For students who are driven to school, parents/guardians may drop off their students after 8:45 AM. using the Meetinghouse Road parking lot.
NEW THIS YEAR: We will have cars pull all the way up to the corner closest to the front of our building when dropping off students in the Car Rider lane (see the diagram). Students will walk to the front Gymnasium doors to enter the building. The same location will be used for car rider pick up. This decision was made to improve our inside student dismissal patterns alleviating congestion. Moving the drop off/pick up spot will also bring more cars into the Meetinghouse Parking Lot and thus alleviating traffic. We will have Education Assistants assigned to support students from their cars and to the Gym entrance doors.
Parents/guardians must not get out of their cars during drop off/pick up. Our Education Assistants will open car doors to let them in/out of cars. Please have your child practice unbuckling and getting out of their car seats to help keep our car rider lines moving.
The parking area off Almshouse Road is for buses only. The separation of buses and cars is necessary to keep our students and drivers safe. See the map below.
Bus stop location and time information for students in grades K -12 is available through the Transportation tab in the Parent Portal (along the left side, scroll down and click on the word "More." Then you should see Transportation).
In the interest of establishing a safe and orderly dismissal system, we proceed through dismissal more slowly than usual during the first week of school. Please do not be alarmed if your child(ren)’s bus is not at their bus stop at the stated time during the initial week of school.
Children in kindergarten through first grade are required to have a parent/guardian or trusted adult at both pick up and drop off. They will not be allowed off the bus without an adult or older sibling present. The bus will make more than one attempt to drop off a student if no parent is present, and an attempt will be made to contact the parent or guardian. The student will then be returned to school. Get more details on transportation and related policies here.
Attendance Policies & Procedures: Excusing Lateness and Absences
Here is a list of absence/lateness reasons that are excusable in PA Public Schools: illness, quarantine, death in the immediate family, religious holidays, home emergencies, and health care directly related to the student. Absence excuses must be called/emailed within three (3) days of the student’s return. State law requires that an explanation of absence be stated in order for schools to excuse an absence.
As per CBSB Policy 204, students with more than 10 excused absences cumulative throughout the school year must have a doctor's note for each absence thereafter. Please contact Mrs. Pecoraio, our certified school nurse, if you have questions or concerns about your student's health-related absences.
Dropping off Items for Students During School Day
School Visits and Security
Parent/guardian are NOT permitted to directly visit with students on the playground during recess or other outdoor times. All visitors must enter the building using the Main Entrance and be cleared using the School Gate Guardian system before having contact with students anywhere on school grounds during student hours.
Before parents and guardians can volunteer, they must have all necessary clearances. Click here so you are ready when volunteer opportunities arise.
Other Important Notes
Food in School
Often we associate food with celebrations. As a PA Public School, we need to support healthy food choices while keeping safe those students who have food allergies.
Many of our children enjoy sharing their special day with classmates. Students may bring in a non-food item such as a bookmarker or pencil for each child instead of food items. You may also arrange with the homeroom teacher to read your child’s favorite book to the class.
Classroom Parties and Celebrations:
"Classroom parties shall offer a minimal amount of foods containing sugars as the primary ingredient and will provide the following: fresh fruits and vegetables, water, or 100% juice, or low-fat/non-fat milk. Classroom parties limited to 2 or 3 times per year" (CB Board Policy). All menus must be approved by the principal.
Peanut/Tree Nut Safe Classrooms
CBSD Schools are Latex Free
Click here to learn about the before and after care provided by our CB Community School.
Help Support Warwick
You can support Warwick while you shop. It is easy! Here is how...
- Giant A+: Go to https://giantfoodstores.com/ and select SIGN IN or REGISTER. Once Logged in, select MY ACCOUNT, then MANAGE MY ACCOUNT, then REWARDS & SAVINGS. You will need your 11-digit BONUSCARD number and school ID number which is 26483. If you need assistance, cal 1-888-814-4268 option 1.
- Box Tops: Please clip Box Tops and return them to school.
- Amazon Smile: Go to Amazon Smile and use the search feature to find Warwick Elementary PTO in Jamison, PA. When shopping at Amazon, use Amazon Smile to benefit Warwick.
Thank you for your continued support!
The following links will appear in all Warwick Weekly newsletters throughout the year for your convenience.
- Previous Warwick Weeklies
- Library Newsletters: Check out upcoming events, what books are hot, and what students in each grade are learning in the Warwick Library!
- My Payments Plus: This is used for the collection of Warwick field trip fees, PTO event fees, etc.
- Lunch Menu
- Apply for Free/Reduced Breakfast & Lunch
- Teacher Web Pages
- Parent/Guardian Volunteer Requirements
- PTO: Web Page and Letter from our President
- When to Keep your Student Home from School for Illness
- CBSD Mobile App - Parents and guardians can get a FREE CB App to keep up with all things Warwick and CB.
- Before/Aftercare at Warwick
- Parent Portal - Ongoing student progress reporting and more.
- CB Cares Education Foundation's Backpack Newsflash
- E-Friday Folder
- We Want to Hear from You - An online place to record feedback for us on how we did each week.
Follow us on Twitter
Get Warwick Tweets by following @CBWarwickElem on Twitter. Or you can view our Twitter feed by visiting our Warwick home page.
Follow/Like us on Facebook
New this year, Warwick has its own Facebook Page. We will use this to communicate highlights and upcoming events much like we do using Twitter.
Follow the instructions to download the free CBSD app to stay connected with all of your selected CBSD schools.