Welcome to Flute Class
Staley Band 2020-2021
Welcome to XXXX Class!! I am so excited to be your band director this year and teach you everything I know about XXXX !
I promise this year to be FUN and XXXXX-filled whether you are face-to-face or virtual! Click the video below to get to know more about me!
See you soon!
New Member Meeting
Monday, August 10th: New Member Parent Meeting - 7pm on Zoom
Zoom ID: 430 730 2561
Password: 202021Come learn more about the band program, review paperwork, general procedures, and many other important topics to help you get ready for the upcoming school year. This will be a short (no more than) 30 minute meeting for parents. If you have any questions you would like us to address, to the best of our knowledge, please submit them in padlet here.
We will start the zoom at 6:55 and you can CLICK HERE to join us. See you then!
Getting an Instrument
Students who sign up in band will need to have an instrument and supplies for their instrument. Below are the four options regarding instruments.
- Rent from a music store- Flute, Clarinet, Saxophone, Trumpet, Trombone, & Percussion students typically rent from a music store. SPECIFIC STORE FOR INSTRUMENT
- School Owned Instruments- Oboe, Bassoon, Horn, Euphonium, & Tuba students only need to purchase basic supplies as your instrument rental will be provided through FISD. More information and contracts will be available for you to sign and take care of at our May 1st meeting.
- Used/Online/Already Owned- If you already own an instrument or are looking to purchase an instrument second hand, please feel free to include us in the conversation. You are welcome to bring any instrument already in your possession with you to our May 1st meeting for the band staff to check and make sure it is ready for the start of the school year. Similar to renting- if you have an instrument that needs a small ‘tune up’- be sure to take it into Music 1st at the start of summer to avoid the rush.
- Financial Aid- Staley has a limited number of Flutes, Clarinets, Trumpets, and Trombones available for financial aid. Families wanting assistance with these instruments will need to send an email to Mr. Wood ASAP.
Music Store Options
Carolyn Nussbaum Music Company: www.flute4u.com; (972) 985-2662 - This is a FLUTES ONLY store located in Plano and your new flute player will feel like a kid in a candy store.
Music 1st: www.music-1st.net; (469) 362-7171 - This is the music store right off of main street.
Music & Arts: www.musicarts.com; (972) 668-1176 - Closest location is at Preston and Gaylord in Frisco.
All of this music stores should have what you need but the most recommended store is Carolyn Nussbaum Music Company as they know exactly what your flute player needs to be the most successful. They are flute player owned and operated!
Instrument and Supplies Needed
There are many great brands out there as well as some ‘instrument shaped objects’. Below is our preferred instrument list that includes some of our trusted brands and required mouthpieces. In addition to an instrument, students have a list of instrument supplies needed to care for and maintain their instrument. These supplies should be purchased directly from a music store or online. Please let us know if you have any questions
*Flute: Yamaha 261 (open hole)
Band Book: Traditions of Excellence (Book 1)
Music Stand: Wire music stand
Cleaning Supplies: polishing cloth, a silk swab and cleaning rod
*Online Deals: There are great deals online for both instruments and supplies if you know what to look for. Please feel free to shop around, but beware of used instruments from online bidding sites. If you have any questions please forward links to the band staff and we will give you an idea if it is a good deal or not.
The Staley Band is proud to offer financial assistance through the Staley Middle School Band Parent Association, a 501(c)3 non-profit organization. Any student can be in band no matter what their financial situation is. Families that qualify through FISD for free and reduced lunch (f/r) are automatically enrolled in our financial aid program. This reduces the band, uniform, and instrument fee by half! Since all our financial aid is through the SMSBPA it is suggested that every family join for $10. This is not a requirement for financial aid, but we would hope that every family joins this group as they are a huge part of our program!.
Band is one of the most active organizations on campus. While this year will look different than any other, we still hope to have some amazing socials and events at some point.Aside from instrument costs below is a breakdown of other expenses so you can begin to plan accordingly.
Band Fee- $0 This fee is usually about $30 ($15 f/r ) and is used to help offset the cost of materials, contests, and other events throughout the year. With so many question marks about the upcoming year we decided to go with a 'pay as you go' model. Send no money at this time!
Uniform- $10 ($5 f/r) We have a band t-shirt that students will be required to wear multiple times throughout the year. We will not collect this fee until we are much closer to needing the shirts.
Band Parent Association Membership- $10 This optional fee is to join our band booster club. The Staley Middle School Band Parent Association (SMSBPA) is the primary reason we can stay so active. Please consider not only joining, but volunteering!
School Owned Instrument Fee-$100 ($50 f/r) This is only for students using a school owned instrument. We will discuss this fee towards the end of the first grading cycle- there is no need to send any money now.
Director Contact Information
Mrs. Samantha Humphreys- Assistant Director: email@example.com
Note this email address will be changing soon as 'Ms. Hoffman' was married this summer!
- Beginning Flute, Oboe, Bassoon, Clarinet, & Saxophone
- Woodwind Band (Band B on 7th grade schedules)
- Any questions about private lessons or weekly newsletter items
Mr. Chad Wood- Director of Bands: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Beginning Trumpet, Horn, Trombone, Euphonium, & Tuba
- Symphonic Band (Band A on 8th grade schedules)
- Brass Band (Band C on 7th grade schedules)
- Any general questions about band, the BPA, or financial aid