Prescription drugs and Pregnancy
By: Tayler, DJ & Gabby
Most Abused Drugs During Pregnancy
Morphine and Demerol are used to relieve severe to moderate pain.
Tylenol with Codeine used for mild to moderately severe pain.
Xanax is used to treat anxiety and panic disorders.
Valium is used to treat anxiety disorders and alcohol withdrawal.
Ritalin is used to treat attention-deficit hyperactive disorder.
- Oxycontin is used to relieve moderate to severe pain for an extended amount of time
You want to talk with your doctor about any medications you are taking during pregnancy.
Prescription Drugs that Effect Pregnancy
- increased risk of congenital malformations and other developmental abnormalities
- Regular use late in pregnancy can cause withdraws for the newborn
- If used in labor special care is needed, could cause fetal heart rate, poor sucking, hypothermia, respiratory depression
- associated with a higher risk of fetal abnormalities
- infant has withdraw symptoms
- use during labor causes respiratory depression in newborns
- nursing mothers use with caution
- could be a link to autism
- antibodies found only in mothers of children with autism cross the placenta during pregnancy and affect the brain development.
- 1% of pregnant women or 21,000 mothers to be admit that they misuse prescription drugs.
- Between 50% and 80% of pregnant women have taken prescription drugs.
- Estimated that every hour a baby is born in the United States with symptoms of withdrawal from prescription drugs — roughly 13,500 babies a year.