ONONDAGA LAKE SALT INDUSTRY
Father Simon LeMoyne
what was salt used for
picture of men working on the salt
The salt industry has a long history in and around Syracuse, New York. Missionaries visiting the region in 1654 were the first to report salty brine springs around the southern end of "Salt Lake," known today as Onondaga lake. Onondaga Salt Springs Reservation provided the basis for commercial salt production from the late 18th century through the early 20th century. The salt springs extended around much of Onondaga lake, originating in the town of Salina and passing through Geddes and Liverpool to the mouth of Nine Mile Creek, a distance of almost nine miles. The majority of salt used in the United States in the 19th century came from Syracuse and that is why Syracuse is known as "The Salt City."