Curtis Fabulous Firsties
This is the first grade newsletter for Curtis Elementary.
What I Need to Know About 1st Grade
Welcome to First Grade! Here is some information you need to know...
Parent To-Do List:
1. Review the Curtis Elementary 2020-2021 Smart Start Processes
2. Join your student's class communication apps Dismissal/SeeSaw/Remind/Dojo
3. Check the take-home folder calendar daily. Fill out papers in your student's take-home folder and return your student's take-home folder to school
Release to Classrooms 7:30
Tardy Bell 7:50
Conference Time 12:00-12:45
Your child is considered tardy if not in the room by 7:50.
Classrooms Open 7:30, Tardy Bell 7:50, Dismissal 3:20
Your child will be considered tardy if not in the classroom by 7:50.
In the event that you need to pick up your child early, please send a note that morning, and if possible, call and notify the office. You must sign your child out in the office. A member of the office staff will notify me, and I will send your child to meet you.
If your child’s mode of transportation changes, I MUST have a note from the parent or guardian or a phone call to the office. This is to ensure the safety of your child.
Day 1: Please permanently label the supply box with your child’s name. Place inside: a box of crayons, scissors, glue stick, pencils, erasers. Also, send folders and spirals.
Day 2: Please send liquid glue, markers, dry erase markers, headphones, kleenexes, and hand sanitizer
Send any extra/optional supplies the following week.
Each student has their own headphones will be VERY important this year. They will take them with them to specials.
Due to COVID recommendations, we will not be sharing supplies (including headphones) this year.
Your child will have a folder that will come home each night. Please check and Initial the communication calendar and return it daily.
Any notes or information that needs to be sent home will be in the folder.
Please send your child with a labeled water bottle. The bottle must contain unflavored water and needs to have a “sports top” to help avoid accidental spills. Please do not send frozen bottles.
Due to COVID recommendations, water fountains and refill stations will be closed.
Please send enough water for your child to make it through the day. Extra could be kept in their backpack.
Each day we will have a snack break. You are encouraged to send a healthy snack for your child. First graders eat lunch very early (10:10) and will get hungry mid-afternoon.
Please send healthy finger foods (no candy, nothing requiring a utensil, nothing wet, or with powder/cheese coating). See your child’s teacher for specifics.
The first grade conference time is 12-12:45. At this time, essential meetings are by appointment and virtually, if possible.
Curtis & 1st Grade Newsletter
This year we are saving paper and sending out digital newsletters.
- Communication for Curtis Elementary
- 1st grade has this Smore which is a digital newsletter feed. By Friday each week, our newsletter will be sent as a link to you by your homeroom teacher.
- Daily class news is relayed through the take-home folder calendar.
Outside Lunch, Field Trip and Birthdays
At this time, our campus is closed for lunch visitors and/or deliveries.
If a student forgets their lunch, they can get one in the cafeteria.
At this time, students cannot bring in cupcakes/treats for their birthdays.
Currently, the district has suspended all field trips.
Nurse and Restroom
To minimize health risks, students will only be sent to the nurse for major illnesses and injuries.
Teachers will have supplies in the classroom to treat minor ailments.
Please provide a change of clothes (in a baggie) to keep in their backpack in case they are needed.
Students may not bring toys (including electronics, jewelry/makeup, dolls) to school.
Curtis Core Value of the Month
What we are Learning The Sixth Six Weeks
- In math we will be working on counting routines with counting forwards and backwards. Also, skip counting by 2’s, 5’s and 10’s. Place value will be explored with standard, expanded, and base ten form.
- In reading next six weeks we will be looking at fiction stories. Learning more about the characters how they’re feeling what they’re doing what they’re saying. And the lessons that these books are teaching.
- In writing this six weeks we will be tackling fiction writing. Students will get a chance to be creative and come up with fun interesting stories.
Word Study (phonics)
In Phonics, we are learning about bossy r and then reviewing all we have learned this year with a focus on editing.
- In science we will be able to identify and compare parts of plants. We will observe the life cycle of a butterfly and other animals and learn how young animals resemble their parents. We will investigate how external characteristics of an animal relate to where it lives, how it moves, and what it eats.
- In social studies we will describe how technology changes over time affect our daily lives at home, school, and work, including improvements in communication, transportation, and recreation.
Creating routines and schedules for our days
Mindfulness and a calm down spot in the classroom
Look for weekly lesson flyers to come home
Meet the First Grade Teachers
Mrs. Burlison will use SeeSaw for class communication.
phone extension: 4530
Ms. King studied early childhood/elementary education at the University of Mary-Hardin Baylor. This is her 20th year teaching and she has experience in PK. K, 1st, and 4th grades. She loves seeing the spark in children’s eyes when they gain independence and confidence in themselves when learning new things. She can’t wait to help your child find that sparkle this year!
Remind Code: @a7gkh8
phone extension: 4522
Remind Code: @g3eafd
phone extension: 4533
Remind Class code @scarbro20
phone extension: 4534