The Eagles' Nest June 6, 2021
The Community Newsletter of EXCEL Academy PCS
Volume 2, Issue 22
Summer, Summer, SummerTIME!
In just a few weeks we will be saying goodbye to this Pandemic School Year - and what a year it has been! Many of our EXCEL family members have endured hardships that are indescribable - loss of family members, financial hardships, and challenges with their health. But our dark days are behind us and bright days are ahead of us. We here at EXCEL Academy continue to be in our students' corners, cheering them on and supporting them. We thank you for partnering with us and allowing us to pour into them. Here are some of the successes of this school year:
- Developed a new PBIS Matrix that will be fully implemented next year and will contribute to our character development pillar.
- Become a one-to-one device school, going from an inventory of about 150 to over 500 devices in one year
- Erasing the digital divide by providing hot spots to students and staff who were in need of high-speed internet.
- Experienced a 19% growth in reading performance and a 23% growth in math performance schoolwide from the beginning of the year to the end of the year as measured by the iReady assessment
- Reduced our chronic absenteeism rate from 32% of students (September) to 9% of students (May).
- Reduced our habitually truant rate from 16% of students (September) to 2% of students (May).
- Received our first Arts Integration Grant and implemented our first Arts Integration Residency
- Offered Spanish instruction to all students grades K-5 for the first time. Students K-8 are now all receiving world language instruction.
- Advanced our candidacy towards becoming an International Baccalaureate school.
- Established a monthly, virtual EXCEL-ling in the Kitchen to bring family and communities together during the quarantine
- Offered after school tutoring to targeted students
- Partnered with our charter operator to offer student mental health supports with a school social worker
- Offered a virtual spring concert and art exhibit for the second year in a row
These are just a few of our proudest accomplishments this year and we are looking forward to another EXCELlent year in 2021-2022!
EXCEL's Summer Learning Offerings!
Once again we are offering programs to support ALL of our EXCEL scholars to enrich their experience and prevent summer slide:
- EXCEL Learning Recovery Program (selected students - virtual): Current 2 - 6th-grade students enrolled in the Learning Recover Program will receive a personal, assigned teacher to offer reading instructional support and interventions 4 days/week. Invitations to qualified students have already been sent and the program is currently full.
- Digital Learning With iReady (virtual): All current K - 7th-grade students will be enrolled in iReady digital learning to provide students targeted instruction to support skill attainment in RELA and Math. The platform supports students at all ability levels. Parents will receive instructions on how to ensure scholars continue the growth they have achieved during the school year.
- Freedom School (in person): Freedom School is a six-week literacy-based enrichment program that supports children and families through academic enrichment, parental involvement, social action, intergenerational leadership, nutrition, and health. To apply, go to https://forms.gle/d6hsA1wyoD8P67ry9. The application deadline is Wednesday, June 9. Slots are filling up quickly! Don't delay!
DEVICE AND HOTSPOT UPDATE!
- 8th graders will be returning their devices on Friday, June 11th before their promotion program - information has already been forwarded to those scholars.
- If you have a student in grades K-7 who will not be returning, your return date is Tuesday, June 15 @ 9AM-10AM. Contact Ms. Hite at kesha.hite @ pgcps.org if you have any questions.
We thank you for your cooperation and attention to this matter!
Congrats to Our National Junior Honor Society Inductees!
This week, nine students were inducted into the Eagles of EXCELlence National Junior Honor Society! Our new inductees and promoting 8th graders were honored on Friday, June 4th. The guest speaker was Dr. Samantha Tolliver, Chief Toxicologist of the DC Office of the Chief Medical Examiner. Dr. Tolliver gave our scholars encouraging words about being true to yourself, finding your way, never giving up, and not allowing negativity to move you. Many thanks to Ms. Green, the Faculty Advisor, and the Faculty Council - Ms. Cameron, Ms. Ruffin, Ms. Walsh, and Mr. Williams for their efforts.
Please congratulate the following inductees and 8th-grade promoting members on their accomplishment:
- Andrell Boyd
- Zoe Burton
- Keiarra Hymes
- Alanah Johns
- Donovan Johnson
- Brooklynn Lomax
- Layla Murphy
- Nneoma Nonyerem
- Chubuikem Ohalete
- Martin Ohalete
- Kado Volcy
- Mekhi White
- Gerald Wills, III
- Precious Awe
- Andrell Boyd
- Lissette Buchanan
- Layla Burton
- Noah Caro
- Ian Dortch
- Ayotunda Fajemisin
- Precious Palmer
- Jordyn Staton
Principal's Honor Roll Ice Cream Truck
Congrats to the honorees! (click the link below to see even more pics!)
EXCEL Academy Evening At the Gallery and Spring Concert 2021
Enjoy the shows!
EXCEL Academy Students Selected for the PGCPS Virtual Art Exhibit
We have not one, not two, not three, but FOUR EXCEL SCHOLARS whose work is on display for the PGCPS County-Wide Art Show! Congrats to Alanah, Ethan, Mikhayla, and Precious - we are so proud of you. And we are also grateful fo the guidance you get from our superb art teacher, Mr. Reginald Pickett!
You can also click below to enjoy all of the artwork of our PGCPS scholars in the virtual art show!
Open Enrollment for Kindergarten for the 2021-2022 School Year!
Students who are residents of Prince George's County that will be 5 years old by September 1st, 2021 are eligible. No lottery application is required. Please call 301.925.2320 and ask to speak to Ms. Bennett-White as soon as possible!
Speaking of Kindergarten ...
Cameron entered EXCEL Academy in kindergarten back in 2008 and was in Ms. Scheib's class. She demonstrated leadership while she was here, EXCEL-ling in her classes and being a member of the Step Team. She even volunteered to speak at our Career day last month to encourage ur current middle school scholars.
Congrats to Cameron and her family! She is a shining example of what EXCEL scholars can do when they are launched from the eagle's nest!
A WORD FROM OUR OPERATOR - SEED, Inc.
- The next SEED/EXCEL Governing Board Meeting is scheduled for Thursday, June 17th, 6:30 pm - 8 pm. There will be a facility update and the SEED/EXCEL Board will vote on the discretionary budget for the sY22 School Year. This is a public meeting and all are welcomed to attend, but public comment and questions will only be taken at the end of the meeting.
- Freedom School information is listed above but the flyer is below!
Important Dates to Remember: June 6 - June 15th, 2021
- Friday, June 11th: 8th-grade device return @ 8:00 a.m. (device must be returned in order to participate in the ceremony; 8th-grade promotion ceremony @ 9:00 a.m. (drive-through), last hybrid day for Cohort B
- Monday, June 14th: Two-hour early dismissal (ES students dismiss at 11:15 a.m., MS students dismiss at 11:30 a.m.)
- Tuesday, June 15th: Non-returning student device return @ 9:00 -10:00 a.m.; Two-hour early dismissal (ES students dismiss at 11:15 a.m., MS students dismiss at 11:30 a.m.); LAST DAY OF SCHOOL FOR ALL STUDENTS!!