April 30, 2021
Monday, 5/3 - 5/7 - TEACHER (STAFF) APPRECIATION WEEK
Friday, 5/7 - Talent Show Submission Deadline
1st Track Meet @ Alki Middle School
Monday, 5/10 - 6th (and select 7th/8th) grade hybrid students start Spring Hybrid Schedule
Friday, 5/21 - Progress Reports
Monday, 5/31 - No School - Memorial Day
As we move into our spring hybrid model, we know there are many questions. In this newsletter we will do our best to answer questions and best prepare everyone for the last 7 weeks of the school year. We appreciate your patience throughout this year and are so thankful for the amazing partnership we have had with parents to engage students in their learning through hybrid and remote instruction. We look forward to a more traditional start to the 2021-2022 school year in August. Please mark your calendars for the first day of school on Tuesday, August 31st. At this point in time, we are planning on all students attending school 5 full days per week.
SPRING HYBRID UPDATE
On Monday, May 10, we will begin bringing SOME of our students back to school 4 days a week (Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday). Wednesdays will continue to be a remote learning day for ALL students. We are balancing bringing the maximum number of students back based on need while maintaining safe distancing according to CDC guidelines.
- ALL 6th grade students who are currently attending hybrid instruction will automatically start attending 4 days a week on Monday, May 10.
- Most students in 7th/8th grade will continue hybrid instruction 2 days per week. They will follow the current A/B hybrid schedule with no changes.
- SOME of our more highly impacted 7th/8th grade students will receive notification that they have been assigned to 4 days a week. If you choose to not accept this offer, please contact the office to let them know. When considering students to attend 4 days a week, we are looking at students receiving services such as Individualized Education Plans, 504's, McKinney-Vento and English language instruction as well as those struggling academically on trimester 2 report cards.
- If your 7th/8th grader meets the criteria above, you will receive notification next week regarding placement in 4 days of instruction starting the week of May 10.
- If your 6th grader is currently remote and you would like to be considered for in person instruction 4 days a week, please contact the office.
- Beginning May 17, parents of the remaining hybrid students who have not been invited 4 days a week will have an opportunity to fill out a survey if they are requesting 4 days of instruction per week. Requests will be granted on a case-by-case basis based on need and space.
The following are the social distancing expectations in this model:
- Classrooms must maintain 3 feet of distance between students (formerly 6 feet).
- Common spaces (including lunches) will remain socially distanced at 6 feet of separation.
- Teacher to student and teacher to teacher social distancing remains at 6 feet.
Hey Discovery Students, did you know that there is a gender neutral bathroom available in the main office?!?! If you didn't know, NOW you know! Just come in the main office door and the front desk staff will show you the way if you haven't seen it before! Look for the picture down below.
6th Grade News!
Watch this month’s 6th grade video news to get information about hybrid and remote learning supports, free summer arts and academic programs, volleyball and football, and MORE!
Newsflash: 6th and 7th Grade Families
This month your student will be given a list of the classes they are planning to take next year. Please review this closely with your student. Classes cannot be changed once the next school year begins, so it is important that you approve of your student's elective class. Please contact your student's School Counselor if you have any questions or concerns.
Megan Bledsoe: Current 6th Graders, 313-3321
Jeff Causey: Current 7th Graders, 313-3324
Remote learning attendance reporting will change beginning May 3. This change will help align remote learning attendance with in-person learning.
What students need to do to be counted as present on a remote learning day, students will need to do one of the following between 7 a.m. and midnight:
•log into Canvas
•turn in an assignment
•attend a Zoom class
•contact their teacher
EQUITY AND INCLUSION
Vancouver Public Schools and Discovery Middle School are committed to equity and inclusion for all students, staff, and families. With the passage of equity resolution 869 by the VPS school board earlier this year, Discovery students and staff created a video highlighting our efforts to co-create a school community where each member is seen, heard, and valued.
The yearbook online sales link is now active! Here is the link: https://wa-vancouver.intouchreceipting.com/ Families can sign in to purchase the yearbook. Parents will need to sign in with their Skyward login, and then purchase the yearbook from there. Yearbooks are $20.
Smarter Balanced Assessment (SBA)
Please note that students will not be taking standardized state testing this spring. However, testing requirements return in the fall so we will communicate accordingly.