WFES Back to School Newsletter
July 26th, 2019
From the Principal
Welcome to the start of a brand new school year! I hope everyone has had a fun and restful summer filled with many wonderful family memories and adventures.
The 2019-2020 school year is going to be fantastic and the WFES staff is excited to begin. We have lots of great things planned throughout the year from amazing lessons, events, field trips as well as moving forward with implementing and building upon our STEAM education focus. We look forward to challenging our students to do big things and go beyond what they thought was possible.
Our school beautification project is well underway and looks amazing. Returning students and families will see some changes to the building in our classrooms, halls, and lobby areas. We were able to upgrade workspaces to allow for comfortable collaboration seating for our students and staff as well as updating the aesthetics and functionality of the common areas of our building. A huge thank you goes out to our PTO, families, and community members for the funding and support needed to improve our school building.
I can’t wait to see all the smiling faces and hear the sounds of learning in the building again. I have no doubt this is going to be a terrific school year at WFES!
Back to School Social
Join us on Monday, August 5th from 8:30 - 10:30 for our Back to School Social in our MPR. Families will be able to greet their teachers (in the classrooms from 8:45 - 9:45), drop off school supplies, register and join the PTO, purchase spirit wear, and get information from our community partners and clubs.
- 8:30 AM: Doors Open
- 8:45-9:45 AM: Classrooms Open to Meet the Teacher and Put Away School Supplies
- 9:45 AM: Back to School Social continues in the lunchroom
- 10:00 AM: Wildfire Pep Rally & Spiritwear Fashion Show
School Supply Drive
Participate in the Great School Supply Donation Race for our adopted elementary school. Will your grade be named the Givingest Grade? Bring in any of the following school supplies and place them in the box on your grade’s Grade Level Table in the lunchroom. Which grade will donate the most and win a POPCORN PARTY?!
- Crayons (24 count) - Glue Sticks - Pencils - Black EXPO Markers - Hand Sanitizer
- Colored Pencils - Earbuds - Tissues - Spiral Notebooks - Sanitizing Wipes
Join/Update your Family PTO Profile on or before the event for extra chances to win!
Visit www.wildfirepto.org and click the red Join PTO button!
Thank you for your generosity and support!
Special Thank You To Our Wonderful Event Sponsors:
WhichWich Sandwiches • Sunrays Gymnastics • Norterra Kids Dentistry • i9 Sports
Burch’s Karate • Emily Blumenreich Photography • Mathnasium of Phoenix North Ridge
Welcome to Wildfire!
Ms. Bobe - Pre-K
I am very excited about being a part of the Wildfire team, where I will be teaching Pre-K in room 126 this year. I am passionate about teaching and helping young learners develop a life-long love of learning. I have enjoyed teaching Kindergarten and 1st grade in the past and still tutor on the side, specializing in reading and dyslexia. I love teaching in and out of the classroom; in addition to my tutoring business, I have also taught swim lessons for the past 15 years. On a personal note, I have 3 year old twins named Gio and Gigi and a boxer named Cali. I am originally from CA, went to college here in AZ, and after moving around the country, relocated back to AZ to plant my roots for good and raise my family long-term. I love the sunshine and water activities; whether that’s out on the lake, boating, or swimming. I also enjoy spending time with family and friends and am very excited to get to know all of you. Looking forward to a fantastic year!
Ms. Scala - Kindergarten
From Ms. Scala: How lucky are we to be at the amazing Wildfire Elementary School!? I am a highly-qualified teacher who has taught kindergarten for fifteen years. I love teaching kindergarten because it is such an important year for setting a base of mastery of foundational skills and a love for learning. I am so excited to meet all of you and begin our year of adventures together!
Ms. Torres - 3rd Grade
From Ms. Torres: This will be my first year teaching 3rd grade at Wildfire Elementary, before
that, I taught 4th and 3rd grade at Whispering Wind Academy. While getting
my degree in Elementary and Special Education I worked as a Nanny. I have
also worked in children’s ministry, had my own guitar school for several
years, and taught fun summer school classes. I also did volunteer work for 8 months in Uganda and South Africa. I look forward to a great year together!
Ms. Huff - Special Education
From Ms. Huff: I am very excited to be joining the Wildfire community! Originally from Maryland, I have spent the last three years teaching Special Education at Sunrise Middle School and I am looking forward to transitioning back to working with younger elementary students and getting to know the parents and staff of this community!
Ms. Telfer - Art
From Ms. Telfer: I am absolutely thrilled to be the new art teacher at Wildfire! I have a Master’s Degree in Education from Boston University's Wheelcok School of Education, as well as a BA in Art from Cal State University, Northridge. This will be my 18th year of having the incredible honor of being a teacher. I have taught Kinder, First Grade, and Reading, but found my sweet spot teaching art (combining my two favorite things, art and teaching). In my free time I enjoy creating my own artwork, reading, and spending time with my family. I am from sunny Burbank, CA and have also lived and taught in the Boston Metro area. After moving to AZ I absolutely fell in love with the desert and it is a common theme of my artwork. I am passionate about the artistic process and can’t wait to guide our students on a creative voyage and celebrate their successes. It’s going to be amazing!
Ms. Olsen - Records Secretary
From Ms. Olsen: Last year, I was the librarian at Aire Libre Elementary and started a new reading program in the library that helped engage students in reading and boosted their AR. The year before that, I worked at Pinnacle High School with the business and entrepreneur students. I helped the students apply what they were learning in the classroom to real-life, college, and career skills. Before that, I worked at Benchmark Elementary as a catering consultant and office assistant. I have a bachelor's degree in psychology and am currently earning my post bacc in teaching. Once I am finished with my post bacc, I plan to get my master’s and doctoral degrees in school psychology. I am so excited to join the Wildfire family and know we will have an amazing year together!
Back to School Information
School Hours Reminder
Kindergarten - 6th Grade: 8:45 AM - 3:15 PM
PreK: 9:00 AM - 3:00 PM
Students are allowed on school grounds at 8:15 AM. There is no supervision prior to that time. Student's in 1st through 6th-grade report to the main playground area and Kindergarten students to the Kindergarten playground.
Student are not permitted in the building prior to 8:45 AM, unless permission has been given by the school administration or classroom teacher.
Students arriving after 8:45 AM must be checked in by a parent in the front school office.
Dismissal time for 2nd - 6th grade is 3:15 PM and Kindergarten and 1st grade is 3:10 PM. We ask that parents make every effort to pick their student up on time.
Please report any student absence to our attendance line: (602) 449-4301. A message can be left on the attendance line 24 hours a day 7 days a week.
Please make every effort to have your student(s) to school on time and limit unnecessary absences.
Pick-Up Drop Off Information
Hints for Successful Student Pick-up/Drop-Off
- No parking along the blue curb - student pick-up/drop-off only. Please pull forward to allow other vehicles to enter the line. Reference our pick-up/drop-off map by clicking here and/or the picture below for additional guidance
- Please stay in your vehicle while in the Pick-up/Drop-off line.
- Use the parking lot if you need to leave your vehicle and enter the building.
- Use extreme caution and follow all posted signs and staff member directions when picking-up and/or dropping off your student(s). Safety first!
- Please, no smoking or vaping in the parking lot.
- Remember, all animals (excluding marked service animals) are not allowed on campus and need to remain safely inside vehicles.
Plan ahead, be patient and be safe. Remember, 700+ students will be dropped off/picked up at the same time.
Any kindergarten student living more ½ mile and any student in grades 1st - 6th living more than one mile from WFES* is eligible for transportation. To find your bus stop or to determine your bus riding eligibility please visit the PV Schools Transportation webpage.
Students may bring their own lunch or purchase a cafeteria lunch.
Student Breakfast = $1.00
Student Lunch = $2.50
Peanut-free tables are available for students with food allergies and sensitivities.
Lunch accounts may be accessed via EZ School Pay
Free and reduced-price meal applications may be accessed from the PV Schools Nutrition & Wellness Dept.
2019-2020 Lunch Schedule
Before and After School Programs
A wide variety of before and after school programs are available through the PVSchools Community Education Department. To learn more and to apply, please visit the Community Education webpage.
Join OUR PTO
To learn more about what the PTO does and to join for free, click the button below and/or visit wildfirepto.org.
Welcome to Kindergarten at WFES!
Important Information for the first days of kindergarten
Here is what you need to know for the first two days of school:
- Plan to arrive at school no earlier than 8:15 but no later than 8:40 and walk with your child to our kindergarten playground.
- Please make arrangements to have at least one parent present for the first day of school from 8:45 - 10:30 AM. Parents will start with their student in the classroom and then attend an orientation for kinder families with our Principal, Nurse and other school/organization representatives.
- All kindergarten students will be dismissed at 12:00 PM on Tuesday, August 6th, and Wednesday, August 7th. The remainder of the week and year students will follow the regular school schedule and calendar.
- Please note there is no after school childcare (Mascot Club) on either Tuesday, August 6th or Wednesday, August 7th.
Other Important Information
- Busing for kindergarten students who qualify will begin on the first day of school.
- A kindergarten teacher will ride the bus with the students at dismissal on the first day of school to help assist the driver and students.
Wildfire Kinder Meet & Mingle
Hopefully, we see you tonight!
- Kindergarten & 1st grade: 5:00 PM
- 2nd & 3rd grade: 5:30 PM
- Honors: 5:30 PM
- 4th & 5th Grade: 6:00 PM
- 6th grade: 6:30 PM
On the Calendar
Important Upcoming Dates
- Kinder Meet & Mingle - July 26th from 5 - 7 PM at Sky Zone
- Back to School Social - August 5th from 8:30 - 10:30 in the MPR
- Greet the Teachers - August 5th from 8:45 - 9:45 in the classrooms
- First Day of School - August 6th - School starts at 8:45
- Curriculum Night - August 12th - start time varies by grade level
- Early Release Day - August 27th - school dismisses at 12:30
- Labor Day - September 2nd - NO SCHOOL
- 6th Grade Catalina Field Trip - September 5th - 8th
- Fall Picture Day - September 18th