New Britton Elementary
May 20, 2022
I AM. YOU ARE. WE ARE. BULLDOGS!
News from Mrs. Mankin
There were many emotions and celebrations as we ended the school year. Students were thoughtful as they reflected upon their year through conversation and writing. I heard many children and adults speak to favorite parts of the year and proudest moments. I continue to be proud of the adaptability, perseverance, and growth we have seen in individual students and our learning community as a whole. Every day I am proud to be a Bulldog!
There are many ways in which we measure growth of our learners. We have multiple points of formative data throughout the year. These measures include things like: observations of learning (as teachers take notes), individual conferences with students as they share reading, writing, and math work, rubrics (applied to writing, problem solving, and projects), and student-created artifacts (like videos, audio files, sketches/sketch noting, etc.). We also have benchmark and summative assessments like NWEA, IREAD-3, and ILEARN. We are just now receiving results from several of our summative assessments. As you review this information, please remember that these individual scores represent pieces of your child's learning as we consider growth over the whole year. The format, purpose, and depth of these assessments are different so if you have any questions, please reach out to your child's teacher. You will also have access to your student's report card after 3:00pm on May 24. This communication of progress includes academic information as well as Personal Behavior and Work Habits. These different sources of information help us, in partnership with you, celebrate growth and set goals for the future. Thank you for partnering with us in this important work
Mrs. Thornsberry, our music teacher, led the students in creating a Bulldog Anthem this year. This idea came from planning for our school's 30th birthday and the Bulldog Birthday Bash, and it grew into a collaborative writing and musical experience. We gathered as a school yesterday morning to record the song. I am not sure the recording could ever capture the magic of this moment (and the work leading up to it), when each student proudly sang about how special we are as Bulldogs.
We are so grateful that each of you and your families are part of the Bulldog Community! We hope that everyone has an enjoyable summer break, and we wish our 4th grade Bulldogs nothing but the best as they start the next chapter in their lives, transitioning to intermediate school - "Once a Bulldog, ALWAYS a Bulldog."
Retirement of Mrs. Jackson
Dates to Remember
School Supply Kits
School ID: NEW302
Sale Begins May 23rd, 2022
2022-2023 School Year - Answers to Frequently Asked Questions
- When will I know my child's teacher? Enrollment occurs throughout the summer so we will continue to make class list adjustments. Class assignments, as well as bus information, should be available in Skyward Family Access the afternoon of Friday, July 29.
- What beginning-of-the year activities will occur before school starts? You will receive a video welcome message on Monday, July 25. This video will include important information about the new school year. New for the Upcoming School Year - in partnership with the City of Fishers, we will be kicking off the new year with a Before the Bell school kick-off event in the Fishers Amphitheater area. This will be a time to connect as a larger school community and celebrate the start of the school year.
- Our Meet the Teacher night for students in grades 1-4 will be Monday, August 8th. We will host two, 30-minute sessions to accommodate families with more than one child.
NBE School Supply Lists for 2022-2023
Before the Bell - Community School Kick-off
4th Grade Transition Information
If you have a 4th grade student who will be transitioning to Riverside or another HSE intermediate school next year, please review the following information:
- Our HSE intermediate schools will be sending welcome videos for classroom teachers to share with students and families on May 9
- Intermediate School Open House
- All intermediate schools will have a time available on Monday, 8/1 for families to tour independently (4:30-6:00pm)
- Meet the Teacher - our intermediate schools will host Meet the Teacher the first full week of school. Specific information will be sent by the individual schools.
Riverside Intermediate PTO
If you will have a student at RSI next year, the PTO invites you to participate as a Board member, Committee chair or general volunteer. The following Board positions are open for the 2022-23 school year:
Co-Vice Presidents (2)
Secretary Treasurer Member-at-Large (2)
In addition, several committees will need chairs and general volunteers are always needed.
To indicate your interest in a Board position, to find out which committees need a chair, or to be on the list of general volunteers, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your willingness to help!
It was a pleasure to meet so many future New Britton Bulldogs at the Kindergarten Open House on Thursday, April, 13th! If you were unable to join us and still need to register a kindergartener for the 2022-23 school year, please follow the below link.
Summer Reading Program
The Hamilton East Public Library has announced their summer reading program, Oceans of Possibilities.
This is a fantastic way to keep your child reading this summer. Last year, HEPL readers read over 3 million minutes! This year they are proposing a NEW community goal. They are challenging readers to reach 600,000 points! We know NBE kids can help reach this goal!
For more information and to register, use the link below. Registration begins on Monday, May 16th.
YMCA Before and After School Program
On May 11th, the YMCA will open enrollment for our 2022-23 Before and After School programs. There will be some changes to our HSE programs next year, due to low enrollment and continued staffing shortages. Those changes include Elementary School programs will run after care only, with no AM programs.
If you are interested in registering your NBE student please contact the YMCA directly at
#(317) 484-9622 or BeforeAndAfterSchool@indymca.org.
Merciful HELP Center - Tools for School
Tools for School assists qualified families that live in Hamilton County with backpacks, school supplies, and other important school needs according to your children’s supply list(s). We will also assist with new shoes, socks, and underwear. Kid's Coats will provide lightweight jackets or hoodies. Book in Hand will provide a new book for every child. We also give fresh foods to the entire family! Click below to register.
Need school clothing ? Tools for school has a program for that as well! Click below to learn more.
Fishers Youth Assistance Summer Meals Program
This program will provide grocery items for breakfast and lunch for five days during the weeks of May 31st through July 19th.
We are pleased to announce that our program is moving to its new and permanent site at 8766 E 96th St, Fishers, IN 46037 (Old Mash building). Weekly pick up day is currently unknown due to difficulties with scheduled food delivery. We will notify registrants as soon as we know this information.
To be part of this program you must sign up by May15th 2022. The program will be limited, so please register early with the below link.
Good Samaritan Network
Good Samaritan Network (GSN) is a collaborative/network of nonprofits in Hamilton County. GSN utilizes two serving approaches, Direct and InDirect services, and in part is designed to ensure efficiency and communication among the different agencies, social services, nonprofits, local government, pantries, and businesses - as together we serve the needs of Hamilton County residents who are at-risk or underserved.
If you are in need or would like to help those in need, this website can assist you. The link below provides support for holiday assistance, rental assistance, energy assistance, and ways to provide support.
Please take a moment to explore this website - click here.
FYAP Summer Bridge Program
Fishers Youth Assistance Program is excited to offer to all elementary families with emerging 2nd and 3rd graders a free summer academic program! Attached is a flyer that shares a little about the program and includes a QR code where parents can sign up. We are running our Summer Bridge 2022 HiSTEMy Camp as follows:
- Program will run from June 13 -17, 2022 daily
- Location: Delaware Township Trustee Community Center (9094 E. 131st Street, Fishers IN 46038)
- Two sessions offered during the week – both sessions are in-person:
- AM Session from 9 – 11am
- PM Session from 1 – 3 pm
- 15 students per session (total of 30 students)
- Focus will be on reinforcing reading skills through history, science and math curriculum adapted from materials provided by Conner Prairie while all the while enjoying fun, interactive activities to encourage a love of learning even in the summer!
- Program is FREE **parents only have to provide transportation to/from program daily
- Program will be led by a teacher and will have high school students for additional support; FYAP Staff and Tutoring Committee volunteers will also be on hand daily for assistance
Mrs. Peters is a Kindergarten teacher here at New Britton Elementary. She loves all flowers and every color of the rainbow! She and her family like cheering for the Colts and Purdue University. When on vacation Mrs. Peters and her family enjoy camping or heading to the beach.
Mrs. Moore is a Kindergarten teacher here at New Britton Elementary. Her favorite colors are teals, blues, and purples. Wildflowers are her favorite flowers. Notre Dame University is her favorite team to cheer for! In her free time Mrs. Moore enjoys reading.
New Britton Elementary School
Mrs. Katy Lee, Assistant Principal
Mrs. Sherri Leiner, School Counselor