WINTER PARK BAND Weekly Newsletter
December 5, 2021
Park Philharmonic Rehearsal - Orchestra Winds & Perc.
Monday, Dec. 6th, 2:30-4:45pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
Winter Guard Rehearsal
Thursday, Dec. 9th, 2:30-6pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
WINTER BAND CONCERT
Thursday, Dec. 9th, 7-9pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
Color Guard Winter Showcase
Friday, Dec. 10th, 6-7:30pm
2100 Summerfield Road
Winter Park, FL
From Mr. Clemente
Dear Winter Park Band families,
We had a fun Saturday with the "Sound of the Wildcats" performing in both parades in Winter Park and Baldwin Park! It's fun to be able to get back to performing in the regular parades on our calendar, and especially to perform for such large audiences. At least from our view on the street, it looked like both events were a great success. Thank you to all of our parent chaperones who were with us for either one or both of the parades Saturday - I hope you enjoyed yourselves too!
This week we will hold our annual Winter Band Concert on Thursday, December 9 at 7 PM. This concert, like the Fall Band Concert, features performances by the Freshman Jazz Band, Jazz Ensemble II, Jazz Ensemble I, Concert Band, Symphonic Band, and Wind Symphony. I am also looking forward to starting a new tradition this year with some audience participation, so warm up those vocal cords!
Also upcoming this week, the Orchestra Winds and Percussion will be performing with the Park Philharmonic and the WPHS Choral program in their annual WinterFest. That performance will take place on Tuesday, December 7 at 7 PM. This concert is a ticketed event, and tickets may be purchased at https://teachtix.com/wphs/winterfest-2021.
Wrapping up the week, the WPHS Color Guard will conclude their semester with their annual Color Guard Winter Showcase on Friday, December 10 at 7 PM. We encourage everyone to come out and watch the performance!
Looking forward to seeing everyone at our performance this week. Make it a great week!
From the Band Booster President, Natalie Storch
Week of December 4, 2021
Hello everyone. Thank you to all who helped with the parades on Saturday. The band sounded amazing, and it was a fun and festive way to close out the marching band season. The parade audiences seemed so excited to hear the music, see the students in festive wear, get candy, etc.
It’s concert week! Please note the information in the newsletter about times, etc. The Orchestra Winds will be performing at Winter Fest on Tuesday (a ticketed event), and the band concert is Thursday. I am so excited to hear the students play. For Thursday’s band concert, I will be in the lobby (with a box where you can contribute cash or check) before and after the concert if you would like to contribute to the directors’ gifts. You may also contribute via Venmo or Cash App, and I’ll send a separate email about that. Let’s show our appreciation for the hard work by the directors this year!
Thank you everyone. Have a wonderful week!!
SOLO & ENSEMBLE
Students now have selected their pieces, formed their ensembles, and should be setting out to start preparing for February's performance at Solo & Ensemble. If a student chooses to play a solo, they are responsible for providing a piano accompanist. If you are in search of an accompanist, please consult this list of piano accompanists on the Band website. Students should have their accompanist before we leave for Winter Break.
Music orders were placed last Wednesday, 12/1, and Thursday, 12/2. Music should begin to arrive early this week and will be passed out to the students once it has arrived. So long as nothing is backordered, all students should have their music before leaving for Winter Break.
Links to all forms/lists below can be found at: http://www.winterparkhsband.com/solo--ensemble.html
Band students have two performance options to complete the Solo and Ensemble project:
- Option 1: Solo and Ensemble MPA. Solo and Ensemble MPA takes place each year at the beginning of February and is hosted by a school in our district, this year University HS on February 11 and 12. This event is put on by the Florida Bandmasters Association(FBA), and allows students to perform for an adjudicator for a rating. Adjudicators for this event are professors, teachers, and performers from across the state of Florida, and students have the opportunity to receive feedback on their performance from someone who is an expert on their instrument. Students perform either a solo or chamber ensemble piece from the FBA Solo and Ensemble Required Music List, and may perform in up to 4 different events. There is a small assessment fee per event, typically $5.00 - 7.00.
- Option 2: Solo and Ensemble Recital Option. For students who choose not to perform at the Solo and Ensemble MPA put on by FBA, those students will perform as part of our Solo and Ensemble Recital at school. This year, that recital will take place in the Band Room on Wednesday, February 5, beginning at 1:30 PM. Students must select a piece from the FBA Solo and Ensemble Required Music List, and the performances will be adjudicated by both Mr. Smith and Mr. Clemente.
DOOR-2-DOOR - our biggest and most important fundraiser of the year is coming in early February and the day will arrive faster than we’d all like to think. If you haven’t signed up to drive, please do so this week, if possible. For every driver that signs up I need 3 things:
- Copy of drivers license
- Copy of insurance card that will be valid at time of D2D. If it’s renewing between now and February, wait to send me the updated info.
- A screenshot of your active and approved Additions status.
If you’re not Additions approved yet, but would like to drive, go ahead and get that approval right away at: https://www.ocps.net/departments/community_resources_/a_d_ditions_school_volunteers
It may seem like there’s plenty of time, but I need to have this information collected over Winter Break and we will all be so busy with the holidays, it’s helpful if you can sign up and send me the info as soon as possible.
Thank you for all you do!
Pride of the Wildcats - Winter Park Band Fleet Vehicle Support and Improvement
We are very proud of our Operations side of the Winter Park Band. We have a dedicated group of parents that take the Winter Park Band & Color Guard to all their events. However, without the use of the large tractor trailer that transports our equipment to and from each marching band event and the small trailer for color guard the task would be next to impossible.
Through the years, the operations group has made many changes to the trailers to improve the functionality for the Winter Park Band. Historically, all of the monies have been raised through private contributions of a select groups of parents and through the Alumni Foundation. Because of this the need of a full fundraiser event to deflect the cost of the band operations was never really until now.
In effort to maintain our large trailer’s top-notch condition, we are planning to do some MAJOR repairs and improvements to the trailer that is now in its 15th year of service for WPHS band. Additionally, we need to either replace (preferable) the small trailer or make it road worthy again.
Some of the items on our list of improvements are costly, including:
- Repairing some minor damage to larger trailer
- Repainting the lower section of the large trailer
- Rewrapping the upper section of the large trailer
- Replace wheel bearings on front axle
- Moving the back stairway to the back of the trailer
- Replacing or repairing the small trailer
- And other improvements to keep our kids and volunteers safe.
Since we are re-wrapping the large trailer, we will be selling sponsor spots on the larger trailer to defray the cost. There are 10 spots that are available for $1,000 each and the entire front of the trailer for $5,000. These opportunities are a great way to support the Winter Park Band and they are also tax deductible.
Please contact Keith Gavin at firstname.lastname@example.org for further information on donations or to provide the goods or services to the improvements that are so desperately needed.
We will be also seeking volunteers to help at a Trailer Work- Days throughout the month of January. We will be repairing minor body damage, painting the trailer and removing the old logos. Please contact Keith Gavin @ email@example.com if you can assist.
- Band Calendar sync Google/Andriod format: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/embed?src=winterparkhsband%40gmail.com&ctz=America%2FNew_York
- Band Calendar sync Apple iCal format: https://calendar.google.com/calendar/ical/winterparkhsband%40gmail.com/public/basic.ics
Monday December 20 - Monday, January 3, 2022: Winter Break
Wednesday, January 5: Wind Symphony Sectionals, 1:30 - 2:30 PM
Tuesday, January 11: Incoming Freshman Parent/Student Meeting, 7 - 8 PM
Tuesday, January 18 - Wednesday, January 19: Jazz Guest Artist Workshop with Prof. Jeff Rupert
Tuesday, January 18: Jazz Ensemble II Rehearsal, 2:45 - 4:45 PM
Tuesday, January 18: Jazz Ensemble I Rehearsal, 7 - 9 PM
Wednesday, January 19: Freshman Jazz Band Rehearsal, 1:30 - 3:30 PM
Wednesday, January 19: JAZZ GUEST ARTIST WORKSHOP CONCERT, 7 PM
Tuesday, January 25: All-County Band Rehearsal, 6 - 9 PM
Thursday, January 27: All-County Band Rehearsal, 6 - 9 PM
Friday, January 28: All-County Band Rehearsal, 8:30 - 4 PM
Saturday, January 29: All-County Band Sound Checks and Concert
Saturday, February 5: DOOR-2-DOOR FUNDRAISER, 8 AM - 4 PM, mandatory for all Band students
Thursday, February 10: District Jazz MPA
Friday, February 11 - Saturday, February 12: District Solo & Ensemble MPA
Wednesday, February 16: Wind Symphony Rehearsal, 1:30 - 3 PM
Thursday, February 17 - Saturday, February 19: Guest Conductor Workshop
Thursday, February 17: Symphonic Band Rehearsal, 2:45 - 4:45 PM
Thursday, February 17: Wind Symphony Rehearsal, 7 - 9 PM
Friday, February 18: Concert Band Rehearsal, 2:30 - 3:30 PM
Saturday, February 19: Wind Symphony Sound Check, 11:30 AM - 12:30 PM
Saturday, February 19: Symphonic Band Sound Check, 1 - 2 PM
Saturday, February 19: Concert Band Sound Check, 2:30 - 3:30 PM
Saturday, February 19: GUEST CONDUCTOR WORKSHOP CONCERT, 3:30 pm call time
Wednesday, February 23: Wind Symphony Rehearsal, 1:30 - 3 PM
Wednesday, March 2: Wind Symphony Rehearsal, 1:30 - 3 PM
Thursday, March 3 - Saturday, March 5: DISTRICT CONCERT MPA, Cypress Creek HS
Wednesday, March 9: Senior Concerto Competition Auditions, 1:30 - 3 PM
Friday, March 11 - Friday, March 18: Spring Break
FINANCES AND CUTTIME
Upcoming Band Payments:
- Jazz Fair Share Payment 2 - $20.00 Due 1/12/2022
- School Instrument Semester 2 Maintenance - $60.00 Due 1/12/2022
Past Due Band Payments:
- Band Registration Fair Share - $25.00 Due 5/4
- Fair Share Payment 1 - $100.00 Due 7/28
- Marching Band Uniform Shoes (if needed) - $35.00 Due 7/28
- Fair Share Payment 2 - $50.00 Due this Wednesday, 9/1
- Jazz Fair Share - $20.00 Due 10/6 (if applies)
- Semester 1 School Instrument Maintenance - $60.00 Due 10/6 (if applies)
Viewing your Student's Financial Account in CutTime:
There is a direct link to CutTime in "Quick Links" on the band website.
To access Cut Time, follow these steps.
- Go to CutTime.net and click “SIGN IN” in the top right-hand corner.
- Enter your Username or Email and Password You are now on your profile, where you can access our calendar and handouts and files. Click “Update Info” tab to input or update contact information. Don’t forget to click “Update” when you are finished.
- Click the “Finances” tab to view financial statements.
For questions concerning general Band inquiries, Band financial obligations, or to request a payment plan, contact Mr. Clemente, at Michael.Clemente@ocps.net. For questions regarding your CutTime account or statement, contact the Band Booster Treasurer, Lori Gavin, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
2021-2022 FINANCIAL OBLIGATIONS SCHEDULE
Unlike a full band rehearsal experience, studying with a private teacher focuses in on the student’s individual needs. Students who study privately once a week from a professional musician are usually those who excel and find Band more enjoyable. These students frequently earn positions in honor groups like All-State and All-County, and make entry into our more advanced bands like Wind Symphony and Jazz Ensemble I. Some even go on to earn college scholarships, even if they are not majoring in music!
By following the link below, you will find a list of local private teachers. This list is not exhaustive, and there may be other individuals who are not on the list. If you know a private teacher who should be added (or would like to be deleted), please contact Mr. Clemente at email@example.com.
Help the Band with Amazon Smile!
Make a difference for Band students with every day purchases! Shop at smile.amazon.com/ch/27-0964817 to generate donations for Winter Park High School Band Alumni Association Inc. Once this charity is selected, always type in Smile.Amazon.com to place orders.
**NEW THIS YEAR!...To enable AmazonSmile on the Amazon mobile app:
- Open the app (sign in) and touch the three horizontal lines in the top left corner. Select "See All Programs" , then select "AmazonSmile".
WPHS Band Social Media
We've been posting lots of photos our social media platforms, and we will continue to post updates, photos, video, and other media to those pages throughout the year. Follow the Band!
- Facebook: @winterparkhsband
- Instagram: @winterparkhsband
- Twitter: @wphs_bands