What's New, Hot and Cool?
J2 Training - Janet Corder & Joan Gore
Let's give it try!
- Open quizlet.live.
- Type in the code the teacher has given you.
- Type in your name.
- Quizlet Live will assign you a team. Find your teammates and get together.
- Wait for the teacher to begin the game.
Website | iPad App
Dotstorming is a new brainstorming website that is easy to use and a quick way to gather student input.
Let's try it out!
- On your device or laptop, open tinyurl.com/NOfavorite.
- Enter your name and click Join.
- Click Add an item and list your favorite New Orleans restaurant and click Done. Please add only one restaurant.
- After everyone has entered their favorite restaurant, you may vote on up to 3 favorites from the ideas posted by your colleagues by clicking on the small circle under an idea.
- Comment on one of the ideas by clicking on the Comment icon under an idea.
- Click the Rank by votes button to view the results.
Let's try a different idea! We can use Dotstorming for formative assessment.
- On your device or laptop, open tinyurl.com/symmetricalds
- Enter your name and click Join.
- Answer the question posted on the page.
BookSnaps & Vocab Snaps
The following is from Tara's website and gives a great overview of how to use BookSnaps:
A few (of MANY) reasons to create BookSnaps:
- To annotate and share excerpts of the book you’re reading
- It allows the reader to connect a concept or thought to an image, which then allows the brain to recall the information linking it back to the visual.
- Diagram the rise, fall, and climax of the plot (see an example image below)
- Highlight figurative language and imagery
- Notate character conflict and internal struggles (see example below)
- Point out the main idea or a supporting argument
Click here to read Tara's blog about how to create Booksnaps.
Click here to follow Tara on Twitter and you can find tons of great ideas and examples by searching #BookSnaps onTwitter.
Read more here about BookSnaps from Dave Burgess (Teach Like a Pirate).
Can't use Snapchat in your school or you work with younger students, read Tara's post on alternative websites for creating BookSnaps.
VocabSnaps is similar to Book Snaps, except the focus is on defining and illustrating vocabulary words. Search #VocabSnaps on Twitter for ideas and examples.
View-Master Virtual Reality
1. Download one of the View-Master VR apps to your smartphone
2. Place a smartphone into the viewer, look at the Preview Reel and simply click the lever to launch the VR experience.
Purchase the Starter Kit from Amazon for $12.59.
Toys and Gadgets
Video Doorbells - Watch your front door from your smart phone (several to choose from)
Game Developer Barbie - Her computer even has code on it!
Belkin Portable Tablet Stand - Easily folds up for storage or travel
X Treme Universal Tablet Stand - Only $4.00 at Five Below
iXpand Flash Drive - Flash drive for your iPhone or iPad that automatically backs up your photos and videos.
USB Bed Lift Set - These work great in dorm rooms to provide more space under the bed, but do you want to make your regular desk a stand-up desk? This might just do the trick and provide you with more charging outlets!
Olloclip - Award-winning lenses for your iPhonePhoto Lens for iPhone/iPad - Brands and prices vary on different sites
HAPIFork - Lose weight by tracking your eating habits with this new, electronic fork.
Paint Brush Stylus - Draw and paint on your touch screen device to bring out the artist in you.
Jot Stylus by Adonit - Great, reasonably-priced stylus from this Texas company
STEM toys from Amazon...your kids will love shopping from this list!
Quirky, the Smart Piggy Bank - Colors and prices vary on different sites
3D Pen - 3D printing at your fingertips
Smart Drone - This 3D Robotics Drone works with your GoPro camera.
RainMachine Devices - Coordinates with the NOAA to adjust your water sprinkler.
Pacif-i™ – the Smart Pacifier - Monitor your baby's temperature on your smart phone or tablet.
IKEA Wireless Furniture - IkEA will start selling wireless charging lamps and tables.
Prynt - Turn your smart phone into a camera that instantly prints out business card sized photos.
Cicret Bracelet - Make your skin your new touchscreen!
There's an App for That!
Tinycards - Flashcards over tons of topics or you can create your own.Tab - Need to easily split a restaurant bill? Scan the bill with the Tab app, tap on the items you ordered and the amount you owe will be quickly tabulated. It even includes tax and tip!
PicPlayPost - Create a collage of videos and images
Pokémon Go in the Classroom
Pokémon Go in the Classroom by Kathy Schrock
Animation Chefs - These kids help kids everywhere cook-up their own cartoon networks.
High School Cube - High School Cube gives schools the ability to capture/share all the amazing LIVE moments that happen. Think about broadcasting sporting and music events, graduation, pep rallies and more...for free!
Bankaroo - Virtual banking for students!
Siri...My New Best Friend
- Ask her to divide zero by zero.
- Set a timer by saying "Set timer for 2 minutes" or "wake me up at 7 am".
- Open an App.
- Play something from your music library.
- Change the Settings on your device. Ask her to "dim the screen".
- Ask her "where is Mission Impossible playing?" or "who starred in Mary Poppins?"
Tips & Tricks
There is a QR code generator in Twitter that allows people to quickly follow you. Look under the gear in your profile. Note: This only works on a mobile device.