4th Grade's Weekly White Tiger
MST IS THE PLACE TO BE!
Week of February 1-5
Grammar and Conventions
We will continue to rehearse revising and editing skills. In spelling, students will use their menu and spellingcity.com to learn about spelling pattern (prefix dis-) and fourth grade high frequency words.
This week we will continue to discuss the qualities of a strong expository text. Qualities include: narrow focus, clear central idea, specific – well chosen details, precise word choice, personal experience that creates a thoughtful paper, strong transitions, strong introduction, and strong conclusion.
This week we will continue our expository unit study. We will continue exploring the many different types of organization in expository text. Most paragraphs will be organized with a main idea and supporting details. Students will be able to identify the text structures of: cause and effect, sequence, and comparison. Students will be able to identify and locate nonfiction text features such as: titles, subheadings, photographs/illustrations, captions, special print, key words, charts/tables/graphs, diagrams, and timelines.
We will continue comparing fractions this week. Students will compare two fractions with different numerators and different denominators and represent the comparison using the symbols >, =, or <. Students will use such strategies as finding a common denominator, comparing to benchmarks (0, 1/2, 1), and reasoning about unit size. We will compare fractions in a table and fractions that are greater then one (improper fractions.) Students will also learn how to represent fractions and decimals to the tenths or hundredths as distances from zero on a number line.
Here are some great websites for math fact practice:
Important Dates and Reminders
- Please follow the link to explore parent resources: http://www.risd.org/group/parents/parents_main.html
- February 12- Valentine's Day Party
- February 12- 4th 6 Weeks Assembly 9:30-10:15
- February 15- Student Holiday/Staff Development
- February 16- Report cards go home
- February 18- Talent Show (Richardson West Junior High) 6:00-7:30
- February 19- Parents Night Out (4th grade fundraiser) 6:00-10:00
- February 25- College Day
- Please make sure you have turned in your child’s $40.00 field trip money. This money will be used as a deposit for our Austin field trip.
- If you have any ideas or suggestions about fundraising please let us know. Also, if you know of any businesses that might be willing to sponsor us then please send the information to one of us.
Spring Tutoring Dates (Mondays until 4:40)
- January 25
- February 1, 8, 22, 29
- March 14, 21, 28 (4th and 5th graders will NOT have tutoring on March 28 due to STAAR testing)
- April 4, 11, 18, 25
- May 2
Focus Parent Portal Accounts Now Available
Parents are now able to create accounts to see their child’s grade and attendance information through RISD’s new student information system called Focus. Parents will need to know their child’s identification information in order to sign up.
To learn more and create an account, click the following link: