#EWExcellence ~ Week of 01.11.2016
La ola del lago Spanish Immersion & Edgewood School
Week of January 11, 2016
I hope everyone had a great first week back. The preparedness to welcome back our kiddos was very evident, as the transitions to deep and meaningful learning experiences did not skip a beat. It’s hard to believe we are nearly ½ completed with the 2015-16 school year. Our ECFE registration for session 2 is off to a great start, Circle of Friends & ECSE registration will begin the week of January 25, and Kindergarten registration for LODL is this Thursday at 6:30.
Early Childhood Special Education Receives an UPSEE Donation from Chase's Warrior Foundation
The group includes (from left): Todd Loechler, ISD 719 Physical Therapist; Chris Lykken, founder and co-president of CWF, Lisa Lykken, co-president of CWF; Amy Hennen, CWF Board Member, Dan Stein, CWF Board Member, and Richie Kucinski, Edgewood Coordinator.
On Thursday, December 17th, 2015 Chase’s Warrior Foundation presented Edgewood School with an assisted walking device called the Upsee. Edgewood school has a wide variety of Early Childhood programs and serves children with special needs from Birth through age 5. Chase’s Warrior Foundation is a non-profit group whose mission is to raise awareness and provide adaptive equipment for children with anoxic brain injuries and special needs by providing adaptive equipment. To learn more about Chase’s Warrior Foundation please visit www.CWFUSA.org.
PLSAS 20 Day Twitter Challenge ~ #plsas20
You might have heard about our district’s 20 Day Twitter Challenge during the month of January. If you have not yet begun to participate, I would highly encourage you do jump right on in. It is not too late to join! Jessica McMahon is leading this exciting endeavor; it has been great to see the number of educators in the entire E-12 PLSAS district begin to connect professionally. There will be 20 different challenges to complete throughout the month, some of which are extremely basic (change your profile picture, add a short bio, etc.). Everything is being marked with the hashtag #plsas20. Many of our current Edgewood educators have joined in the challenge. This is a powerful opportunity for us to not only continue to professionally grow as a school community, but also to make our voice known amongst the rest of the PLSAS district. And of course, the learning is incredible!
Anyone who completes the full 20 Day Twitter Challenge will receive 2 CEUs for teacher re-licensure, as well as be entered into a lottery for many gift cards – so there is also an extrinsic motivation. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact me, or 20 Day Twitter Challenge Moderator Jessica Mcmahon. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org and more importantly, her Twitter handle is @JK_McMahon
Circle of Friends Registration Informational Sessions
Interested in learning more about Circle of Friends Preschool?
Here's a list of visit opportunities for the 2016-17 school year:
Peek into preschool (attend with your child)
January 19, 5:30 - 7:00 pm
January 23, 10:00 am - 11:30 am
Tour and Talk (for adults only)
January 14, 10:00 - 11:00 am
February 10, 1:15 - 2:15 pm
March 11, 1:15 - 2:15 pm
Monday, January 18 PLSAS Professional Development Day Schedules will be sent out SOON!
COOPERACIÓN: January attribute at #LODL
#PLSASchat ~ Tuesdays at 8:00 PM & Twitter
I would like to commend those of you who are continuing to use Twitter to post pictures, professional articles or videos, and sharing the story of Edgewood with our community stakeholders by using hashtag #EWExcellence. I would like to remind everyone our district does a weekly Twitter chat on Tuesdays at 8:00. Please feel free to follow and contribute to #PLSASchat
Meet Andee Webb- Circle of Friends Extended Day Preschool Teacher
This is my first year at Edgewood School. Last year, I student taught in a 1st grade classroom and then transitioned into a Kindergarten Long-Term Substitute position at Five Hawks Elementary School. After those experiences, I knew I wanted to continue working within the Prior Lake-Savage Area Schools. I love working at Edgewood because of our committed and dedicated administrators, staff, families, and children. My favorite part of my job is the relationships I am able to build with the children and families in my class. I also enjoy learning new teaching strategies from my colleges.
When I am not working, I love spending time with my family. This past July, I married my best friend, Tyler Webb. We enjoy spending time outside, biking, hiking, swimming, and traveling. We make several trips to South Dakota and Kansas to visit my family. My nephew is two years old and brings so much joy to my life!
Our Mission & Vision: Who We Are @ La ola del lago Spanish Immersion & Edgewood School
Results from 12.21.2015 Edgewood/LODL Staff Survey: "What are you proud to be a part of the EW/LODL school community?"
- Each and every staff member teaches from the heart!
- I am proud of helping part of our community to become bilingual
- The wonderful staff, students and families! Everyone is so supportive!
- I am proud to be a part of the LODL/EW School community because we keep the needs of our students and families as our priority.
- Great staff!
- Our ECFE families feel safe sharing their joys and concerns in a non-judgmental environment
- Innovative early childhood programs
- I love all of the amazing staff at EW! Everyone is so dedicated to supporting our students and families
- The welcoming staff truly care about each family and child. We form bonds and attachments that go beyond a classroom experience.
- I am proud to be a part of the La ola del lago/Edgewood School Community because I believe in what I do, I know it has value and r
- The wonderful staff.
- I am proud to be a part of the Edgewood School Community because of the sincere dedication the staff has for their students and the meaningful work they provide for them.
- I enjoy coming to work and seeing the excitement and kindness that everyone shares each day! Everyone seems to love what they do and it shows!
- I am proud to be a part of a supportive community of educators!
- I am proud to be a part of this community because it takes pride in its self for letting students be kids and doing things that are developmentally appropiate while letting students explore and learn in new ways!
- I am proud to be a part of the Edgewood School Community because every day, no matter where you are in the building, you see and feel the genuine passion and commitment of the staff, and the enthusiasim and trust of the families! A place where everyone who enters is an learner!
- I love seeing the smiles on the kids' faces as they walk through the door!
- Professional Staff!
- wonderful staff
- I am proud to be a part of Edgewood because we do such good and rewarding work. The darling little kiddos sure make it enjoyable everyday!
Meet Jodi Anderson, Edgewood Health Aide
I am in my 10th year in PLSAS. I Love coming to a job that I enjoy so much! Everyone at Edgewood is so welcoming and appreciative. I enjoy talking and getting to know the students/staff and seeing their excitement each day. I have grown up in Prior Lake all of my life. I am married, and have 4 children. ( Josh- married and is a paramedic , Luke- sophomore at Bethel University, Aaron- 11th grade, and Emily- 10th grade). I also have an adorable granddaughter named Hope (18 months), and a grandson on the way (January)! J I LOVE being a mom/grandma, watching sporting events and band concerts, volunteering at church and Shopping! I am thankful to be a part of the Edgewood team!
While the Winter months of January and February can be cold and dark, I appreciate our relentless focus on student learning. Our students are continually asked to think deeply about how to apply the knowledge they are obtaining, as we do all we can to stretch their thinking each day.